Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, Kiwi has been doing well. He just went to the vet last week and got a clean bill of health.

Okay, but here is the problem *not so much a problem*, when I get into his cage he is okay, he knows I might be in there because I want to get him out or food and water dishes, but, here's the thing, you dont touch Kiwi's toys. You touch Kiwi's toys he will come after you and try to plug you. Kiwi toys + Kiwi = hurting fingers. He hasnt gotten me yet, but when I mess with his toys, it is like he want to plug me so hard!!

Is that just normal parrotlet behavior with thier territory. If so, I hope he doesnt be like this with his new girlfreind that I am getting him.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
my parrotlet does this too. I just get him out and put him on the play stand and do what I need to do. It seems with Gelato that I get the full force of his attacks when moving toys if he is still in in the cage... once I remove him I am free to do what I need to do.

So you can try that...moving him to "his" play stand and then messing with the cage. He may do better.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I always rotate Bitsy's toys when he's OUT of the cage - either with my husband or on his playstand. Also, someone on a board once said "NEVER remove his favorite toy!". So Bitsy's fav toy stays in there while everything else gets rotated. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasnt removing it, I was just socializing with him in his cage and I grabbed one of his bells. He went ape on me. I haven't done it since, but my sister thinks that is funny to do it. She only did it 3 times, and everytime Kiwi was fluffed up and squawking (sounded like growling) and running at her with beak open.

I say that it is my bird and I dont approve so leave his stuff alone.

She hasnt done it ever since.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tommaso doesn't mind me in his cage changing his toys around. His thing is he wants to play. When I'm changing his toys, he climbs on my hand and reaches for whatever toy I'm touching and starts biting and playing with it. I have to take him out of the cage in another room so I can change his toys in peace. It is cute though. :)

Morena

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have one question though,

Will he be diong this to the little female that I am getting him in about 2 months or so?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yep ! :)

IME - the males are quite protective of the females - everything I've read confirms this also - even in the wild the males of certain Parrot species will protect the females from other Parrots in the flock to prevent them being "stolen" away from them ... (as in the female falling for the other male). So don't be offended by this I've come to accept it as part of who they are. You will still be able to interact with both of them - you just need to find their limits and work around it.

There are times my male is fine with me interacting with the female but there are also times he will get all ruffled and defensive - blocking her path from getting to me. He gets this way with my hands only, not my face. I'm guessing to him at times my hand is the other "Parrot" trying to steal his girl :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I thought about getting Gelato a little female.... I already have the name picked out (Sorbet)... But I'm just not sure I want to deal with him being so defensive.

I want to keep my little cuddle bug. He goes with me to work about every saturday and he gets to interact with different people and show off his tricks. He has a nice long flight cage and he gets to talk with the my 2 quakers (never play).

I think gelato will have to stay a bachelor, I'm just too selfish. :(

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm fine with it - its not as bad as all that plus I know he's happier having a mate (just look at that picture <-- :) ) plus I don't have to feel guilty when I leave him alone during the day anymore (not feeling guilty anymore thats my selfish part in all this :p )

I've even left for the weekend with zero ill effects when I got back (something I never would have done with him being a single bird). They are perfect company for each other.

My guy was like Kiwi in the previous post he was getting defensive with his toys anyway even when he was a single bird - So I know a second bird was right for our situation.

I have no regrets yet, knock on wood :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
One reason I don't want a second bird is because my bird goes places with me and I don't want to leave one behind or keep track of two of them in public.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts