Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently brough kiwi up to my apartment at college because i knew she was bored and lonely at my Parent's house without me. That was pretty stressful, and she didn't like two of my roomates (they freaked out whenever they would see her, but got better the longer she was here). The just barely moved out cuz the semester ended and they are going back to their hometowns for summer break. I thought if i could get them to try to hold her, kiwi and them would both see that there wasn't anything to be afraid of. they were way to scared to try though. Moving up here was a six hour car drive, and then the completely new environment was scary. I was watchful for plucking, and it seemed like she was pulling out more down then she should be, but i could tell if she had any spots that were missing down completely. she seems a lot less stressed out now, but i am trying to work with her to eat other foods besides seeds and some other pretty minor things. I haven't gotten her to eat new foods when i tried in the past, but i was never diligent enough.
Anyways so that is all of the reasons that she would have for plucking. She seems less stressed then she did the first couple of weeks, but when i gave her a bath a couple of days ago i saw that she did have a patch missing down around her breast bone. I'm super stressed because there is a lot of change, but also she needs to be on a better diet. So how much do I try to get her to eat new foods, and what can i do to make her fell more comfortable here is basically what i am wrestling with. also I don't have a vet here yet, but I've been thinking about taking here in, and have been looking online for a good vet that doesn't jack up prices. I've noticed that she starts pulling out her down if she is on my shoulder and i start doing things that distract me like get on the computer. She likes to be lovey, or to just chill on my shoulder while i chill. if i get to engrossed in something she gets jealous.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and her stool has been loose the last few days....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry to hear about the stress out! Never hurts to take her in for a check up. Seems kinda strange to have loose stool but only be on a dry seed mix? Like is it really runny/watery?

The way I got BB to eat his fruits and veggies was to cut everything up really, really small. At first he's always super scared so I sometimes mix in some of his millet honey treat so he'll at least go near it. Once he realizes it's just food and it can't hurt him, he starts chowing down. I just recently got him to try baby carrots by sticking one in between the bars next to his pellet/seed/dry fruit food so he could chew on it. Also, to get him to eat some greens I started out with broccoli, just cut off the sprouts on the florets and put it in a dish/plate he can eat from (add some of his fave seed to lure him in). Hope that helped and good luck!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
There are areas on the body that is naturally bald... and along the breast bone would be one of them. So if Kiwi was wet when you saw the bald spot, I would say normal unless you're seeing the bald spot when she's dry and her feathers aren't really messed up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'don't see any bald spots on kiwi, but i am concerned she is plucking down. I blow on her feathers so i can see the down to look for any spots bald of down, but it is really hard to tell. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the breastbone wouldn't have feathers. Maybe she isn't then. I am just concerned. also thanks for the tip about chopping the veggies small. I went right ahead and tried it. hopefully she'll take to new foods. she can be pretty stubborn.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kiwi Just ate some oatmeal off of my finger!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is spring, so she could be molting. That could be why you are seeing down feathers. Some birds get very disheveled when they mold. My Darcy is a plucker and trust me, it became VERY obvious.

The key for eating new foods is PATIENCE. It can be very frustrating, because you prepare food or buy food and your bird just turns their beak up at it. It's a matter of finding out what they like. If she likes oatmeal, you could start mixing chopped veggies into that. Darcy loves rice and pasta, so he gets a mix of finely chopped veggies with those.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would just specify that there's a line of no feathers along the keel (pointy part of the breast bone), but there's feathers all along the sides of it...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this was a long time ago, but a while after i suspected she was plucking down, she plucked some of the feathers over the down. I did some research, and most birds pluck the feathers first, but i wanted to make sure everyone knew that they can start by plucking down.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
How is she doing now? Is she still plucking? or did she let the feathers grow back?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts