Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karen,

I watched several of your videos on YouTube. The 'play dead' tick is great! How did you teach Bean to do this?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, that is a hard question. I've snuggled him in my hand since he was very little. I noticed that if he was real tired, he got super relaxed. He still does not like me to give him head skritches but he likes being held like an ice cream cone. Not for long periods of time though. Over time, I practiced laying him back and then unhooking his little feet from my fingers, but keeping hold of his feet. Then practicing letting go. It's important not to make your bird do anything that it does not want to do. If Bean struggled and didn't cooperate, I would just let him be and try another day. When he got good at laying still in my hand, I would make him do it over until he lay still for a count to 5. Then he got great praise and snuggles on my shoulder.
If we go for many days without doing the trick, he gets rusty. It's not really a trick because I say, "what to get up?" when I guess he is about to get up anyway.

Karen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh, that trick is so cute. I love how he leans his little head way back. It looks like you and Bean have got a really good bond for him to trust you like that. We had a conure that loved to go on his back. We'd lay him on his back on the bed/couch/floor and he'd wrestle with our fingers, trying to grab them with his beak and feet. he loved that game. When he was fiesty and wanted to play, he'd be on your shoulder and basically roll all the way down to your lap, landing on his back and he'd start grabbing at whatever was near to wrestle with it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
In my dreams would itty bitty jo jo let me do that. I gave her boiled potato last night...no way stayed on the side of her cage and wouldn't walk or climb near it. The case of the "alien potato".

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can beat the potato story:

My wife puts shredded newspaper in their cage (large 1 inch by 1 foot pieces) for the birds to forrage through, they have no fear of this - you can cover them with the paper and they are like pigs in sh!t (please excuse the expression). They also know and understand brown paper bags - no problem. My wife though it would be good if she put down shreds of brown paper bags instead of newspaper (since newsprint may be bad for them and reading the paper might alter their political views...) - NO GOOD!!! - they wouldn't come down from their purches until the day after the last shred of brown paper bag was removed and replaced with newsprint!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art everyone writes how their birds eat this mix and that pellet and so on and so. Do have any idea how much stuff I have offered Jo and she WILL NOT eat it. I trick her every chance I get. She's a hard a--. I feel like Houdini trying to trick her. She's smart yeah, new toys take months to introduce and she uses only white paper towels or white dinner napkins. I put one with design one day without thinking I just knew she was gonna break a wing thrashing around till I took it out, that's how I came to use white dinner napkins. I had a noble Macaw once she drank orange juice ate pomegranite loved everything not B'Jo.. I bitch but I love that little bird, she deserves to be anyway she wants after what she lived through. I just keep thinking that she's gonna one day do tricks like Little Bean.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love hearing about Candi's conure that would roll on his back and wrestle. I had an Amazon that did the same. He loved being under the covers and rolling around.

Memmey don't worry if B'Jo doesn't do tricks. I think she is very lucky to have you as her mom and that you take such good care of her.

If I have Bean on my shoulder while eating dinner and he wants a taste of my food, he will pull my hair to get my attention. If he gets too demanding with my dinner, he gets his own dish and goes back in his cage.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm so looking forward to Ozzy getting a little older. Since he's just now a baby, I can't wait to see his personality. It's amazing how much these smart little animals are like children. If my Grey is mad at you, he won't even take his favorite treat from you! Let me correct myself, he'll take the treat and then drop it and stare at you. I treat him like I would a two year old child that is mad.... I tell him, "Fine, be that way."

Since p'let are Amazons in small packages.... I can't wait for mine to get to that wonderful two year old stage! :p

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paula,

This one of the threads with bean, there may be another discussing Bean's trick as well. There might be others, you'll have to look though some of the older threads to see what you can come up with.

You also might want to write directly to Karen to get more details.

Good Luck,

Art S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Art, thanks for getting the play dead info from Karen.

Karen, When I "cup" my hand on my upper stomach and tell Oliver to go to sleep, he crawls right in - head first - and becomes very still. Most times when I peek, his eyes are closed. When I tell him to wake up now, he backs out and wants his kiss & praise. Maybe, I can take it one step further and get him to do basically the same thing on my hand. Thanks for the "know how" and I am going to give it a try.

Bean is so cute and obviously has lots of personality.

Paula

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Paula,

That tummy trick almost sounds cuter than Bean's trick. I don't think I could get him to close his eyes if I wanted to either. He's always on the look-out.
If Oliver will nestle in your cupped hand on your tummy, it's not that much more to lay him back in your hand. I have better success when Bean is in a snuggly and not a playful mood. Sounds cute that he runs up for kisses and praise.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts