Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to parrotlets. We (my son and I) just adopted a young parrotlet. At least we think he is young. He litterally flew into our lives. Matt named him Jimmy in honor of Jimmy Buffet.

Here is Jimmy's story...

About 2 weeks ago I was washing my car when this small bird flew up and landed in a tree over my head. It started chirping away excitedly. I didnt think too much of it. From where I was standing it looked like a goldfinch (common in central Va) and I didnt think anything more about it. I went in the back yard and the bird followed me chirping away the whole time! The next thing I know he has flown back out front and landed on my son's back. I rushed out front and the bird hopped off Matt's back and on to my shoulder and started pulling at my hair. I knew this was a not a native bird and I also know that if we didnt help him he would have frozen to death over night!

So we caught him and put him in a box and took him to Petsmart to try and ID him. When I got to Petsmart I opened the box just a crack and the silly bird flew out and right up into the rafters of the store! 2 and a half hours later we finally caught him by spraying him with a super soaker water pistol to wet his feathers so he couldnt fly! Once we got him down one of the sales people took him in the aviary to look him over! Why didnt I open the box in there!!! Hind sight is 20 20. The lady who looked at him said she thought it was a love bird, she then clipped his wings for us and showed us how to use the step up command which Jimmy already knew. So seventy dollars later (cage, food, toys, etc) we left for home with Jimmy. I did some research online and could not find a lovebird with his coloration. Then I found pictures of a parrotlet and I knew that is what he is!

We put up some posters and asked around if some one lost a bird but to no avail. Both Matt and I are glad because we have become really attached to Jimmy. He has had a vet visit and is very healthy.

We have had him now for about 2 weeks but have been unsuccessful at getting him to do step up. All he wants to do is bite. Over the last few days we have been holding small millet sprays for him and he will eat them out of our hand without biting so I think he is getting used to us. We are being very patient and I think it will payoff in the long run.

So that is Jimmy's story! We are so happy to be parrotlet owners or should I say happy to be choosen by Jimmy. Its funny I have had lots of stray cats come in and out of my life but never a stray bird!

John

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh my gosh ! That is the best story, he found you and your son. How lucky can you be. He may be a tough guy because he had to be. I've read wild birds will kill exoctic birds in the wild, I don't know if that is always the case but he may have been out for along time. Patience he'll come around. He picked you. They are nosey he'll figure it out. What a wonderful story and so nice to meet you. Please keep us posted about him. What color?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Memmey!

Jimmy is a Pacific I believe. He is green with the blue behind the eyes and beautiful cobalt blue under the wings! I will keep everyone posted. I had know idea how much fun birds can be!

Thanks for the welcome!

John

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Welcome aboard to you, your son and Jimmy the Adventurer!

Congratulations on your lucky catch!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. poke around this site, there's a lot of good info here that should be rather helpful to you.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
What an exciting story!!! What a lucky bird to find a home after getting lost.

It can take time to gain trust from a parrotlet. It will happen. Be very patient. It is very rewarding when they get more and more tame and sweet.

Do you have playgyms? They need very large cages and swings, rope perches, wood and string toys...How is he eating? Do you give him a varied diet? I have some great recipes I can give you.

Make sure he has 12 quiet hours of sleep. They need lots of sleep. All of this is important. Just hang in there!!

Glad you are here. I hope you can show a photo soon!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Very cool story! Sally is right - it does take time. This and other parrotlet forum are so helpful, as are some of the books that are available. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have spent some time with Jimmy today. I go him to step up but he kept biting the end of my finger. It looks like hambuger LOL. Where is that styptic pencil. I did try to say no and blow on his face, but that didnt help. Its almost as if he is testing me. He just barely touches my finger and the each time he bites a little harder until it really hurts. He has a very sharp beak at the end. I am afraid that it may be to long! I have provided a cuttle bone that he uses alittle. I am going to put another one in on the other side of the cage. Any other thoughts abot how to get him to stop biting would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
My parrotlet was very quick to learn he couldn't bite me. However, every chance he gets he bites my husband really, really hard. He willingly goes to my husband and for a short time is very meek, mild and loving. Then, before you know it, he takes a chunk of whatever flesh he can get to. I am reading the responses to the biting problem you are having and hope someone will provide a good solution for us as well. Since I have never had a problem with Oliver biting me, I don't have any answers for you. I just need to know what (if anything) my husband can do.

Paula

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
They can be nippy. I do not blow in the face or do anything neg. It is good with dogs and birds to be postive. They need to trust us. If they are nippy, they may have a good reason. Just put them on a fun playgym near you, hold on your chest and give scritches (works for Chipper!) or put in the cage. Just be calm and sing and talk to them.

Is the cage very large with fun toys? When we bought the new huge cage, Chipper had a huge change! She is so much happier!

·
Registered
794 Posts
We al get bit but you have to act as though he is not getting to you..Don't scream if you can help it.LOL If he bites too much put him back , does he come to you or you go to him? He's had such an event in his little life that he will probably be a tough guy till he figures out your not gonna hurt him. Think about it who would let their little bird get out like that . You don't know what someone did to him. Patience, is the hardest thing and we have all been bitten and still get bit. I promise he will come around, remember your brain is bigger than his LOL

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree that we all get bitten. I've discovered that Bitsy really just doesn't like to be on my finger. He enjoys being on my shoulder or being near me on his playground. I do still practice step ups with him. That's another idea, but the way. When he's on your finger, just practice many many step ups with him - all in a row. He'll be so busy he can't bite. Nothing I've tried deters Bitsy from nipping if he's in the mood. If he appears to be in a foul mood, I usually just put him back. I think if Jimmy was my bird, considering what he's been through, I might just talk to him through cage for a few days or put your hand in there - offering yummy treats, but don't try to take him out. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update before bed... We have gotten jimmy out of his cage and for the most part he doesnt bite when he is away from his cage. The end of our fingers looked like hamburger in the begining from all the nips but now he is much better. We have done the step ups over and over again. He also like to run up on our shoulders and pull at our hair. Not aggresively which I think is a good thing. He still wont let us pet him or touch his sides or back. Eventually he flys to the top of his cage and then when we try to get him to step up he gets nippy. He is very territorial i guess. We made some excellent progress and I think it will just get better with time. We are very happy that our fingers are now healing LOL.

John

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

That's the one thing my birds are terrified of more than all others - bandaids - :rolleyes: . Go figure...

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Memmy Thanks for the offer I did put some on. Its interesting what Art said. I did put bandaids on and Jimmy wouldnt come near me either. With them off no problem! Must be a common fear LOL

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow that story is wonderful! I haven't recieved my parrotlet yet because he's still being weaned but soon I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions on this site! It's nice to meet you and...hey, don't be surprised if, in a few weeks, i'm asking you for advice lol! You and your son sound like the best family jimmy could have! Remember HE picked YOU! ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that story is wonderful! I haven't recieved my parrotlet yet because he's still being weaned but soon I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions on this site! It's nice to meet you and...hey, don't be surprised if, in a few weeks, i'm asking you for advice lol! You and your son sound like the best family jimmy could have! Remember HE picked YOU! ;)

I will be glad to offer any advice. How ever I am only about a month ahead of you in P'let ownership so I am not sure how good my advice might be!

We both feel very fortunate that Jimmy picked us. Although he seems to like Matt more than me. Probably because I was the one chasing him around Petsmart LOL.

Good luck with your new bundle of feathers when you get him.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts