Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I can’t get over how cute Jewel is!! She’s such a fresh young green - like the first leaves in the trees when they come out in the spring. Beautiful.

Your schedule is similar to the one I had with Kiwi before I retired last year. I think the crankiness at bedtime is just that she wants more time with you. Kiwi was like that, especially in the days when I was only able to get her up before I left for work and put her to bed when I got home. Actually, both of us were cranky when that happened. Haha!

Is that sound you are hearing beak grinding? They grind their beaks when they’re content. The head tilting to get you to rub the right spot on the head is one of their cutest little antics, in my view. It immediately elicits an “awwwwwww” from anyone who sees it - haha!! Isn’t it awesome that this tiny creature has that much trust in you that she can sit in your hand like that with her eyes closed! I have always been awed and honoured by that.

Great work with her! Thanks for giving us an update!

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I made one for Kiwi from some little baskets I got from a craft store. I fill it with shredded paper or paper towel, different sized buttons (nothing small enough to swallow), some beads and bells I salvaged from birdie toys that had seen their day (I always save what I can from spent toys) and, of course, a treat hidden among all that like wee bunches of millet (the little balls along the stem of the millet sprig) or a few pieces of unsalted popcorn. I suspend it from the top of her cage using the plastic c-hooks I also salvaged from old toys. She used to adore playing with it - I had to reassemble it most nights - but now she just sleeps in it. And poops. 🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s an old lady thing, me thinks.

She never chews on the basket so no worries there. She is, however, harassing me mercilessly for bedtime right now (7 pm sharp and look out if you’re late) so I will leave it here! Good luck …to me….!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts