Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my parrotlet Albert charges at my hands when I type or use my mouse on my laptop.I would like to know if he is being territorial or jealous of my computer. Also how can I get him to stop charging at my hands when I am using my computer. He doesn't charge at my hands or act aggressively anywhere else he only does this when I am using my computer. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
If I let her, my girl loves to play fiercely with the keyboard of my computer, and will also play with my fingers and hands if I keep on typing. Often I need to put her away when I'm working because she gets too fixated on the keyboard, but when she is in the right mood she'll sit on my shoulder quite happily and not go for the keyboard. Basically I'm still working with this, setting her away when she won't listen and leave be, and praising her when she does well and we can hangout together while I work. I'm seeing more and more times when she does well, but its been a long process...about a year or so.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!
:D

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Albert may be jealous of the attention you are giving the computer. Those fingers are made for scritchin NOT typing!!! So maybe taking a timeout to be with him or giving him something he can play with or as Malachi said a time out while you are at the computer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My f10 key will never be the same... It's not the only one he's pulled off, just the only one he broke the attachment for.

I don't know why they do it, but it seems common. If I had to guess, I'd agree it's probably jealously. I found that sometimes if I put a split screen on my computer, with my work on one side and parrotlet videos on the other, he gets too distracted by the videos to go after the keyboard, but it only works sometimes and it's not actually the best solution; sometimes I need my whole screen.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
My f10 key will never be the same... It's not the only one he's pulled off, just the only one he broke the attachment for.

I don't know why they do it, but it seems common. If I had to guess, I'd agree it's probably jealously. I found that sometimes if I put a split screen on my computer, with my work on one side and parrotlet videos on the other, he gets too distracted by the videos to go after the keyboard, but it only works sometimes and it's not actually the best solution; sometimes I need my whole screen.
Well, maybe when they see us so focused on something they figure it must be really cool if we like it so much and do it so much, so they want to enjoy it too, being part of the flock and all. :D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I keep a cloth napkin to lay over my keyboard and scoot my hands up underneath. I found my escape key on the kitchen floor.
Hahahhaa I'm sure Chili didn't do it.
I think they love keyboards cause it just seems like an awesome toy. Koko loves destroying things (except the toys in her cage unfortunately - which is why I put them on top of her cage) and even if I'm not using my keyboard, she loves the semi-loose keys that - if she fiddled a little with, come off. I feel like Koko's goal one day is to remove all they keys on my keyboard just out of pure fun.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I must have a dozen defunct remotes around my apt. I give one to Simon to distract him from keyboards. I also don't want poop in my keys. It is embarrassing enough to have repairs from my own spills etc...much less bird poop...............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the advice!! Sorry that my response is so late but I saw your comments and used them. I did some training to get Albert to associate the keyboard with one of his favorite treats. He also has a toy with leather strips that he will chew for hours if he could! I also try to give him at least an hour of Albert time before I go and do my work. He no longer attacks my hands when I am typing!! I have also mastered rubbing his head and typing at the same time!! Though now I have to figure out how to get to stop pulling off my keyboard keys and flying off with them!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Daisy either loves the sound of keys clicking as I type or she is jealous of my not paying direct attention to her. She has landed on my keyboard a few times and then after looking at the keys she will start at me, giving me The Stink Eye!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thank you everyone for the advice!! Sorry that my response is so late but I saw your comments and used them. I did some training to get Albert to associate the keyboard with one of his favorite treats. He also has a toy with leather strips that he will chew for hours if he could! I also try to give him at least an hour of Albert time before I go and do my work. He no longer attacks my hands when I am typing!! I have also mastered rubbing his head and typing at the same time!! Though now I have to figure out how to get to stop pulling off my keyboard keys and flying off with them!!!
These work wonders for saving your keys and from having to dig poop out between the keys....
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_bc_5?ie=UTF8&node=3015407011

1 - 12 of 12 Posts