Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Peoples.

It is official that I am giong to get a Little Girl for Kiwi. My Nagging has paid off! ;)

But here is my question.

Is it alright to have two cages. One for each bird, side by side? (just like a divider cage) They are mostly giong to stay together. My mother has said that when she is home when I am at school, they can come out and play. Which is practically the whole time I am gone. I want to have two cages becuase I feel it is nessisary, then probaly in the future I can get a big whopping cage!

I am starting school this thurs. and Will be gone 8hrs. for five days of the week. I would be feeling soooo guilty if I left Kiwi alone --- and on the count of staying with my Aunt because I don't live in the right area to go to that school, so I will have to bunk in with Aunt Shirley. Do you think it will cause stress to take Kiwi with me to my Aunt's? It is only a 10 min. drive.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't think it is kind in the big picture. Imagine having your spouse, or biggest crush in a room beside you ALLLLL day long and you could see them through the window, but not get to them. It is stressful.

I think in the short term it would be fine, if that is the only way to have two. You can get a really good size cage for around $150.

BUT - I have used the 18 x 30 x 18 high cages just fine (short term of course) So if you have one that size (you can get them for around $40) they could be housed together no problem. Anything smaller and they will spat too often.

Would Kiwi stay at your Aunt's during the week and then your parents on the weekend? It would probably be fine. We like to take our birds places often to keep them used to different places, traveling etc.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actaully, He would only stay when I am over. Probaly about 2 or 3 day of the 5 day school week. But these days are random to say the least.

-- Well, the thing is that the cages are giong to be opened practically the whole day. the only time they aren't giong to be together is when It is time to go to bed.

But this is temporary as I said in the 1st post unit I can get them a big enough cage that they and me can be proud of.

Kind of like having a divider cage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think that saving up for the cage first is a good idea??

I am starting to relise that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
As long as the cages are big enough, it should be fine. That said, we eventually decided to go with the big divided cage and the birds are MUCH happier!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Rebecca - for what your are explaining I feel it would be fine for now. I kept mine in separated cages right next to each other for months when I first got them. Since they weren't used to being housed together but had out of cage time together everyday IMO they didn't seem to mind. I've had them together now for a few months and if I try to separate them NOW all hell would break loose :D - but as I said when they weren't used to being together full time they were fine.

I also used to travel with my male when he was a single bird for weekend trips to my family's house (about a 3 hr drive away) he never seemed to mind. Try taking Kiwi to your Aunts house and see how he does - you will be able to tell if he likes or dislikes it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I just bring cage and all?

that is giong to be hard to stuff in the car, but I beleive it is just the right size. Or should I have temporary cage?

I still have the cage I first got him in.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I used a smaller travel cage for travel - with his familar toys etc - See what works for you and watch him to see he he is liking it - but I'm sure he'll like it better than being left home without you :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts