TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in full scale panic mode right now. Our parrotlet Willow just did this on the windowsill and I’ve never seen it before. Is it regurgitated food? Should I be worried?

I didn’t see her doing it, but it happened twice in less than five minutes. I was inspecting the first when the second happened. She’s her usual noisy self right now but straight after this was fluffed up and asleep which is why I panicked. I’ve seen her sleep a million times but of course now I’m losing my mind because in the three years we’ve had her she hasn’t ever done this.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It potentially could be regurgitated or thrown up food. Since you said right after this occurred, she was fluffed up and sleepy - it would be a good idea to make an appointment with an avian vet to rule out a potential infection or medical issue. Pet birds are good at hiding when they are sick or have a medical issue since they are prey in the wild.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
You asked if you should worry and you mentioned that you are in a full scale panic attack. I wouldn't worry about it like you are, but maybe it is time to have a check-up for your bird. Both my p'letts ( males) regurgitated from time to time, but usually ate it back up. You should be concerned, but don't panic to where it drives you crazy! What I see in you is someone who is very much in tune and in love with Willow and this is a good thing. It wouldn't hurt to take her in for a wellness check. If Willow was mine, I would try to save some of the regurgitation in a plastic bag and keep it in the fridge the vet could see it. P'letts and other pets do hide their illnesses well. Real well! Also, if you go to the vet, take a couple of fresh poo do's :poop: with you to be checked.

David and Vicki🦜🦜

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies; we took her to the vet straightaway but she passed away.

I feel broken.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am very sorry for the loss of Willow. Although they are small in stature, they take up a big piece of our heart.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. Did the vet give you any clue what was going on?
I really do not have the words for you about your loss. When we lose our little ones it is like they take a bit or our heart and soul with them. I like to think it is so they can find us on the other side of what comes next.

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. They might be small in statue, but they have huge impacts on our lives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone. The grief I’m feeling is like none I’ve ever felt. My world has been ripped away, nothing feels right and I can’t stop crying.

She was everything to me, I’m a housewife and she was my little shadow.

The vet said she’d lost some weight and mentioned how susceptible parrotlets are to fatty liver disease but there was no guarantee that was the cause. We declined a postmortum as it wouldn’t have changed anything.

She was so beautiful it breaks my heart.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
We have a section called the "Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge" where we memorialize our little ones that have gone to wait on us in what is next. I suggest when you feel like it you write up a little something about Willow and what she was to you and your family.

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

·
Registered
731 Posts
What a lovely picture of Willow. I love the little tree she is sitting on with all the toys and pretty's on it. She was beautiful indeed and lucky to be so loved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts