Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal her her to never come up off her infertile eggs but to eat very little every day or only use the bathroom when she decides to fly out her cage like twice a day. She's holding her bathroom all day until she decides to leaver her eggs for a second then she flies right back to them

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
She is protecting her eggs. She doesn't know that they are infertile. Yes, some females stay with their eggs almost continuously. Under normal conditions, the daddy bird would be feeding her. That is why I suggested you try to hand feed her to get her to eat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's sitting on infertile eggs. Not the dummy ones. And this is kinda hard to explain but is it weird if she's like always looking down into her nest. Like I'll put her spray millet in her nest next to her so all she has to do is reach a little bit and she can eat it and I'm thinking maybe all the millet that's in her nest maybe uncomfortable for her to be sitting on and that's why she's looking down it's almost like she's looking down to count her eggs or as if she's looking for another egg to roll underneath her it's weird. Here is some pics of her looking down and also of her looking normal up right

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
It looks to me like she is just looking down to her eggs. I don’t know much about this whole process but I think one of our more experienced members had suggested substituting the dummy eggs by now? That would give you a chance to shake the seed out of her nest.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
How long since she laid her last egg?

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
I literally just placed the order. Can parrotlets cry? Her eyes seem like they are watering up as I'm looking at her with the sun shinning in on her
I don’t think they cry. It could just be the sunlight in her eyes. Just keep an eye on her, as you are doing, and try not to overthink it. You have been through a lot with her so it’s normal for you to be a little nervous about every thing you notice. She looks great and you’re doing great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
She looks like a sweety. Love her!

We have a cockatiel that keeps laying eggs. We've discovered that when she's sitting on eggs, she doesn't want to poop in her cage. We take her to the bathroom and hold her over the sink... and leave the water running. She eventually poops, and often takes a drink.

We've also discovered that we can then hold her away from her cage with a dish of food, and she'll eat.

We do all this first thing in the morning, and once every 2-3 hours during the day.

After 2-3 weeks, we take the eggs away, and she accepts it. She looks for them for a little while, and then goes back to her normal routines. And she eats ravenously!!

All this might work with your parrotlet.

- stp

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
While there are some parrotlets that are happy to have another parrotlet in their life, most do not enjoy the rivalry for attention, food, and space. Additionally, as she is having issues with laying eggs, it is unlikely to make the situation better. A male would solidify her egg laying and a female she would see as a potential rival. If you really want to give her a "companion," I actually recommend a fish in a tank that she can safely see (covered). Tumi enjoyed watching his fish - it was like bird TV!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would advise not to get another bird either. You do not want her turning into a chronic egg-layer. If not that, you will be dealing with overactive hormonals. Any bird, male, female or even another species are stimuli for egg-laying. I like Dana's idea of getting a fish. I might do that! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts