Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Maybe he just wanted to go home to his best girl. He may not have liked her, she could have been rough with him .If he sensed aggessiveness he may have responded in the same. You know p'lets and they will nip someone new easily, if he did and she kinda got an attitude then he may have sensed it, that's what I mean about rough with him. He was out of his element and maybe scarey. He's difinetly YOUR bird, he loves YOU.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've noticed that with Paulie. He gets so hyper and excited sometimes and that 's when he bites the worst [and hardest!]. Do they evn realize they are doing it? You have to wonder...they can be fairly head-strong. BIG attitude!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My birds are not nippy unless I disturb them once they have tucked in for the night and then it's only bluffing and bluster. They learned early on that biting produces negative results.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I totally agree with Art - in that - biting produced negative results for my bird also when he would bite. I just don't put up with it.

I [in my feeble attempt] try to react like another bird would. I'd make a big 'bird screech' noise and make an attempt to "bite" back - which is basically a move toward him until he moves away.

Call me crazy but it works and I don't have a nippy bird.

With the cage biting: I'd make a fist and offer the back part of my fist and keep moving it toward him until he backed or jumped away. That cured the cage biting - I'm guessing because he could never actually get a bite in to that part of my hand - and in turn I wouldn't react or pull away - so his attempts were pointless.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Baby can be a little nippy too. She is very nippy with my girlfriend and will try and attack her if I'm holding her and she tries to pet her. I'm working on it though. If I'm holding her and she nips me I'll lower my hand to knock her off balance a little bit and she'll look at me like, that wasn't supposed to happen.

She is a little stinker and just wants all of my attention.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kathy - my guess is its learned behavior. Parrotlets are known to be nippy and cage aggressive but it doesn't have to be that way - if everyone who interacts with the bird is consistent and handles them in the same way.

Nemo knows, likes and is use to you handling him so he doesn't bite you any longer. But he may have learned that if he does it to your b/f and others they back away or overly react to what he is doing and so he had learned to keep doing the behavior - either because it is fun or just because it works and gets them to back off.

If everyone who handles him learns never to back off or react to his attempts at biting he more than likely will stop the behavior.

The making a fist and offering the bird the back part of the hand prevents them from getting a grip no matter how hard they try to bite - so their biting attempts don't work - also it gives the human confidence because they know its not going to hurt so they don't back off.

With consistent handling this way the bird pretty much has no option but to comply because the biting attempts don't do any good.

Now I'm really not a know-it-all :p or any sort of bird expert :eek: [well except in my own head :p ] I hope I don't come across that way but I love reading up on birds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've found (and been advised to) never get in a pissin match with any parrot because you WILL lose! I have had success avoiding getting bit by NOT pulling my hand away or speaking loudly or harshly if Wendell bites me. Rather I say "ow" in a quiet voice that I don't normally use and slowly remove my hand repeating "ow" If Wendell continues to be aggressive I will turn my back to him. (a very big parrot social snub). Parrotlets love games and challenges and loudly scolding bad behavior can often escalate it. My system works well as Wendell and I are very bonded, so a good bond might be required first before my ideas work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts