Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoe has been in an 18x18 since we adopted her a few years ago, but I wanted to upgrade and give her some more room to explore. The new cage is 30x21x53 I believe. Is this overkill for one parrotlet? Do they prefer to feel more "cozy" in their cage or do you think she'll appreciate it? I was between this and a 25x21 that was similar in construction to her 18x18 but the price was so similar I went with the bigger one.

Product Textile Interior design Wood Wall

Pet supply Wood Composite material Gas Metal

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The new cage is absolutely perfect! P'letts are flyers and need a lot of flying time. Your bird will be in heaven! Many people have their birds kept in a cage that is way too small. They forget that birds have to fly to keep in shape and good health. Great move!!!;););););)

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
The rule of thumb is get as big a cage as space and budget permits. So going with a bigger cage is very much the better way to go for most birds most of the time.
size is very much an individual bird thing. When I had Bo and Jules they liked a 36W x 18H X 18D cage with lots of out of cage time. After Bo died Jules only used half the cage and we eventually used a 18 X 18 sleep cage with her being out much of the time. Some of their preference for small cages might be because they were rescues.
Now with Rio he has a big cage and uses every bit of it. Which surprised me in that my previous guys would never do that, especially going to the lower levels. Rio also has his 18x18 sleep / travel and much smaller hide cage we use to sneak him into hotels.

Reactions: Petey's mom

·
Registered
109 Posts
Zoe has been in an 18x18 since we adopted her a few years ago, but I wanted to upgrade and give her some more room to explore. The new cage is 30x21x53 I believe. Is this overkill for one parrotlet? Do they prefer to feel more "cozy" in their cage or do you think she'll appreciate it? I was between this and a 25x21 that was similar in construction to her 18x18 but the price was so similar I went with the bigger one.

View attachment 47108
View attachment 47109
Fantastic!!!! Absolutely! She will be sooooo happy!

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
Lilly says all parrotlet deserve a mansion 😁

·
Registered
109 Posts

View attachment 47108
View attachment 47109
One idea…you might use your old cage as a sleep cage?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got what appears to be the exact same cage for my parrotlet Lily. She has a ton of energy and uses all the space. The main things to ensure comfort is a good ratio of toys to empty flying space, a variety of well-placed perches and a cozy spot where your parrotlet can "hide" or sleep and feel safe and protected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One idea…you might use your old cage as a sleep cage?
I'm going to try and use the 18x18 as her 2nd cage in our bedroom. The big cage is in my office and I used to move her 18x18 into the other room when I was on calls - she always wants to be in on the conversations.

I got what appears to be the exact same cage for my parrotlet Lily. She has a ton of energy and uses all the space. The main things to ensure comfort is a good ratio of toys to empty flying space, a variety of well-placed perches and a cozy spot where your parrotlet can "hide" or sleep and feel safe and protected.
Definitely need to work on the toys/perch setup but it seems like she's taking to exploring and enjoys being able to fly around a bit. Thanks all for the feedback!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also have a very similar if not the same cage in a different color and Tofu is so much happier compared to when she was in her smaller cage! I would definitely go for it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also have a very similar if not the same cage in a different color and Tofu is so much happier compared to when she was in her smaller cage! I would definitely go for it!
Update: her smaller cage is also in my office and she likes having her little space in a different room where bird parents are around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You've got my vote. A few months back I got Bokeh this monster sized cage - he LOVES it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a great cage! I gave my kid one of my quaker's old cages for their parrotlet, but it is 2x2x4 with 4 being the height. I think Pippin (the parrotlet) would probably have preferred a wider shorter cage rather than a taller thinner one, but that's what we had that had the properly spaces cage bars. But my quaker is a climber and the parrotlet is more of a flitter. Didn't think about that when I got the little baby bird.

Good job, great bird parenting!
-Cyndi

·
Registered
903 Posts
Flight cages are a great choice for a parrotlet. It will give your bird plenty of room to stretch their wings and get some exercise. I also love that these cages provide you with a shelf to put your bird’s food and supplies, and it’s on wheels making it easy to maneuver. Great choice! Like someone mentioned, you can use your other cage for a sleeping cage, but mine does not have one. She HATED the small cage I originally had her in. She has a lot of energy and I learned that some birds can get claustrophobic from being in too small a space. When she was still young, she was constantly trying to break out of her smaller cage. It had doors that lifted, and she would lift them up with her beak and drop them, so it made a heck of a racket. Bang! Bang! Bang! All day long. Well, that got my attention – she was obviously not a happy bird, so I ordered a flight cage like yours. As soon as she saw her new big cage, she flew in it immediately and it instantly made huge difference in her life! And thankfully she no longer tries to break out of her cage! :) I am sure that yours is enjoying their new castle too!

Exactly! If you have a cage this big, try not fill the cage up so much stuff that they cannot fly in it. I have a similar cage and I leave a big enough area at the top front of the cage for Cleopatra to fly from one side of the cage to the other. I have a perch at equal levels at each side so she can fly back and forth with an even place to land. Being the nutty parrotlet she is, she occasionally gets into what I call her ludicrous speed – when she gets a burst of energy and flies around the room as fast as her little wings will take her. Then she flies into her cage like a rocket and flies back and forth in her “air space” from perch to perch as quickly as she can. She usually does this about ten times, but I once counted 24 times! I was seriously starting to worry at that point! But she was fine - just a crazy parrotlet doing her thing!
And making a quiet area for them is a great idea. Mine uses it for a sleep area at night. It is located at the back corner of her cage. I even put an extra bowl of water next to her sleeping area in case she gets thirsty in the middle of the night. Hey, whatever makes our babies happy, right? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts