Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its cause Piko flew away but the pst 2 months he highly territorial.

I can't get him to stop flying on everyone head. He thins everything is his territory so he bites a lot.

I notice that when summer goes away Piko isn't happy. He def needs to be out in Cali or Florida.

I tried getting him toys..just nothing. He's very irritated , and always biting ears.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Ive noticed in my birds, they dont get daylight savings time. Their inner clocks follow the sun. Could that be the issue? I dont know where you live.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Yes, there are times a p'lett can get edgy. Anywhere between 4-12 months, a p'lett can go through what we call the " Terrible Twos ". Just like human toddlers, they can go through this stage where they bite and get temperamental, etc. When a p'lett flies to the top of heads, he is being in control. As soon as he gets on the head, take him off and say, " No no, Piko! " in a gentle, but direct voice. If he keeps flying to the head right after he just did and you took him off for the second time, then immediately put him in his cage for a time out.

While he is in the house or apartment, let him ( or put him ) on a window sill where there is sunlight. My P'letts always took naps on the south window sill in the afternoon, here in Florida. They liked to watch the cats next door while they played in the screened in room. Bogie, my first p'lett, would say, " See the kitties? See the kitties? " and I would run to the window and tell Bogie I could see them. If I went to the window and looked for the kitties and they were not out, I would say to Bogie, " Where's the kitties? Where's the kitties? " and he would look for them. Many times, I would look out the window about the time the kitties would come out, and I would say, " Where's the kitties? " and Bogie would look and see none, then, all of a sudden they would come out and I would say, " Here's the kitties! Here's the kitties! " Pretty soon, he started saying " Here's the kitties! " when they came out. He always amazed me to no end! He knew the difference.

Piko can and will be amazing to you if you put the time and effort into it. It takes a lot of time to really get a bond of understanding going between you and your bird.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts