Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a pet for so many years. I'm 14 and I have an older brother, older sister, and younger brother (10). My dad is extremely picky when it comes to pets (no dogs, cats, small furry animals, reptiles, etc.) He likes everything neat, clean. I was wondering if a parrotlet might be a good pet for us. I know all birds are messy, but cleaning the cage daily is not a problem. For the noise factor - I've heard parrotlets are quiet. However, we went to the petstore today and visited a room full of different birds. There were two blue parrotlets at the end of the room. They were extremely quiet...I didn't hear a chirp out of both of them and they turned their backs on me after 2 minutes. I thought parrotlets had a fun personality? My family would at least like a bird who chatters here and there. Do you think those two parrotlets were just intimidated by all the birds? Thanks.

Also, how badly do they smell? I've heard scented smells, oils, and candles are very harmful to birds...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have 2 birds a budgie and a parrotlet. My birds get cleaned 2 - 3 times a weeks with smaller cleanups as needed. My birds do not smell at all. As for them being quiet they are as far as birds go very quiet. My p'let does raise a stink however if he wants out of the cage and I am ignoring him. That being said even when he is raising a stink he is quiet..lol He chirps but does not scream. The budgie is louder than the p'let. It is hard to say whether a p'let would suit the family or not. Sometimes ( like my bird ) they can turn into one person birds. Mine loves me and tolerates others when he feels like it. So it may pick one person to be his or her "human" and ignore the others at best and bite others at worst. If handled a lot by all there is les chance of that happening I think. The best bet for getting a friendly , happy little bird is to get from a breeder that hand raises AND SOCIALIZES his birds. I however got mine at 4 months old from a petstore and he tamed down real nice. They are very full of personality and a very fun little bird. I say do the research ( which you are already doing )and make sure the bird is right for the family and then GO FOR IT!!

One of the ways to cut down on the mess and keep things clean and tidy for Dad is to keep a hand vac close to the cage and suck up any mess every time you go by the cage...this way there is never a mess on the floor for long.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Parrotlets are great. My little guy isn't all that quiet. He definitely can be sometimes, but he chatters and chirps quite a bit, but I think it's cute and funny and don't find it annoying at all and doubt that you will either. When I was looking for a bird quietness was a factor for me too because I just don't like noisy pets. I was very unsure about getting a parrotlet because I heard they are a lot of maintenance and are not always very quiet. But everything has turned out great and I am so glad that I got him. He is a wonderful pet. He makes me smile and is not difficult to take care of at all. He can be a bit messy, but not as messy as bigger birds and he isn't too bad. Parrotlets do not smell bad, no.

I say you should go for it, but I would suggest getting one from a breeder. I think that is the best way as opposed to a pet shop where you have no idea where they came from or how they were raised and handled. I got my guy from a breeder and have had no real problems with him. I think that you will find a Parrotlet to be an awesome pet!

By the way, I would only get one. It is better that way because they are more out to bond to you than the other bird. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ahhhh Driven I love your signature of Levi - those pictures are sooo cute & good. Anyway, parrotlets are awesome. My Oliver is really quiet except when the sun comes up and when the sun goes down. He's a PICKY eater and he also hates coming out of his cage. He's a pretty independent little guy, real easy to take care of and SUPER adorable!! I think as far as birds go, a parrotlet is a good first bird. But like any bird they are social and want attention so make sure you have the time to play with one and spend time with one.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think they are wonderful, but I also think doggies and kitties are too! I always made sure my child had pets since I was raised with them. Such a wonderful way to learn and love sweet creatures.

If your dad doesn't like pets or mess at all, he may not like any bird.It would be so sad if he decided he didn't like the little bird later...

They need flight cages and the cages are big, lots of toys, different foods. They take a lot of care and attention like any pet.

I love my Chipper just as I adore my little dog. Just make sure he will want to keep a bird, they live a long time. I do not think they are messy or loud, but people are different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep in mind that birds poop. They will poop where they please, so if your dad is squirmish about that, a 'let is NOT for him. There's no sense getting one and it sitting in the cage 24/7 because it might poop somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts