Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have Sunbeam Rocket Grill at home? I'm wondering if any part of the grill has Teflon coated. Or if it safe with your birds? I called Sunbeam, but the person who answered the phone only know that the grill plate doesn't coat with Teflon. She doesn't know about the other parts. I desperate need a grill at home:) This one sounds pretty safe, but I want to be sure.

Here's the link to the sunbeam rocket grill that I mentioned.
http://www.buyrocketgrill.com/

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmmmm. Seems like it uses parchment paper? Neat idea. Can you call Sunbeam directly maybe?

I really don't know if it's safe... I'm leaning towards yes but...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I would contact the company and ask to speak to a technical person. the person who answered the phone probably wouldn't know the answer, so try to reach someone in repairs, product development or something similar. I would verify before buying. Often a visual inspection will answer your question - all stainless steel interior is what I look for in a toaster oven for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Below is what I got back from emailing them. Does anyone know that, for my bird sake, is it ok to use other non-stick coating that's not Teflon? (I know that teflon can be harmful to bird when overheat, but not sure if other nonstick will or not.):

All of our products use a non-stick coating that is not Dupont
Teflon. Our non-stick coating is safe when used for cooking. In
addition, our electric products are designed to reach maximum
temperatures well within limits that causes the non-stick coating to
release fumes.

Dupont Teflon is not used on our products. Teflon releases some fumes
when heated empty and left on a burner so the surface temperature
gets extremely hot(hotter than when used for cooking - approximately
550 deg or more.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's a non-stick coating, doesn't matter if it's Teflon brand or not, same material, same dangers. I wouldn't use it around birds. You could use it outdoors of course. Grills often get quite hot, and I would worry since birds are affected by the fumes (start dying) at about 450 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts