Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 week old blue celestial parrotlet (He's almost 6 weeks!) And lately he hasnt been wanting to eat his bird formula as much as he used to.. I have read parrotlets should be weened by 7 to 8 weeks, and i have read else where that some should be weaned at 10 to 12 weeks, so i am a bit confused on when to wean him. He is eating soft fruits and veggies and he seems to be interested in seeds but isnt eating enough to fill his tummy up. I try to feed him bird formula but he wont eat that much. So i feed him once a day, some times two, but thats all i can get him to eat. Is this normal? I have also been worried about his droppings.. i have noticed they have been a yellow-ish green to light brown with a few black speckles here and there.. I have 2 other parrotlets that are 2 weeks old and their droppings are dark green and white, which has me worried for the 5 week old one. Is there something wrong i am doing? :( Please help!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Are you weighing him first thing every morning? If not, you need to start doing it immediately every day. First thing in the morning is his true weight, no extra food to skew the reading.

How warm is the formula you are feeding? If it's below 106F, you need to raise the temperature of what you are feeding. His own body temperature is roughly 106F and most won't eat formula that's cooler than that once they reach a certain age. The crop of an older baby will only hold between 1 - 2 cc of formula because the crop is shrinking in preparation for weaning. Weighing him every day will tell you the story. Five weeks is way too young for a baby to be completely eating on its own and being able to survive.

Lastly, what formula are you using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder i got him from never told me anything about weighing him... But he seems to be fine in weight and shape. His formula temperature is fine and i always make sure its never too hot for him, nor cold but just right! He just doesnt seem much interested in it. When I'm preparing the food for the babies, he'll cry for food as well but when i try feeding him he will try to get out of my hands and flies up to my shoulder and start chirping. He doesnt have a specific time when he eats so its hard for me to tell when he WILL eat and when he will not. But when he's hungry he will eat about 2 to 3 cc. The breeder have me a plastic bag full of some bird food called "Pretty bird" but i noticed it had a lot of chunks and hard bits in it, so i slowly switched over to "Kaytee Exact bird food" which i have used for years for my birds.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The only way you are going to be able to know if he's getting enough to eat or not is to weigh him. Many parrots will initially drop a bit of weight (usually within 10%) so their bodies are light enough to fly but more than that means he's lacking in nutrition. Even if the breeder did not mention it, it needs to be done to track how he's doing, especially at age 5 weeks!

Hand feeding is not necessarily done on a schedule. When I'm hand feeding, it's when my babies want to eat, not because it's scheduled time. Sometimes they get hungry in between and I have to deal with that. It's not unusual for youngsters to get in between "snacks" from the parents if they want it. I've always been taught to check temperature with a thermometer just to make sure it's within proper range. Each hand feeder's technique is different, so this is what I've found works best for me, personally. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am not a breeder and I am abit surprised that you were able to take your baby home so young and not weaned. There has been many deaths lately from babies leaving the breeder too soon. Good luck! I hope it all works out and your babies are healthy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
if you havent seen a vet already, do so, before you have a problem. they will tell you what weight it should be at and what it should be eating. get a gram scale in the kitchen dept (Bed Bath and Beyond will have cheap digital one). you will have to weigh the bird to know if it's eating enough.

i switched Kiwi to pellets, during the switch i weighed his food and him to make sure all was well. you really dont know until you get the scale out.

btw - you will probably have to weigh him in a towel then weigh the towel.:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looks like I'm going to take him to a avian vet
:x i hope everything turns out okay and this is all just me worrying too much lol.. xD thank you everyone for the help/info! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Please get you a scale and weigh him, and take Callie's advise. I only had my little Tarzan for 3 days. And he was almost 8 weeks old and still not ready to be weaned. Every baby is different. Please if make sure he is getting enough food, these babies are so tiny that they regress so fast. I still have a piece of my heart now forever in my garden. Poor Tarzan didn't even have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
He is so very young. He should still be in a brooder type situation. He may be too cold. Our breeder had us use a 10 gallon fish tank with a heating pad under about one quarter of the end. You can get a pad without the auto shut off on Amazon. So glad you are taking him to the vet. Perhaps the runny poops and black specks are undigested seed which may be Coccidiosis. Either way as small as he is and not eating much diarrhea could be a very scary thing. Also he needs to have access to all the millet he can eat at all times. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, im taking him to the vet tomorrow, but now there seems to be something else wrong with him.. I fed him this morning and he ate it quite well. He ate about 1-2 cc and now its night time and his crop hasnt gone down and its very hard to the touch and im super worried. :( I weighed him today as well, first thing in the morning and he weighed about 40 grams. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds like the vet appointment is the best thing you can do right now. You said you are slowly switching over to Exact and that, in itself, can cause problems. Kaytee has had many problems in the past couple of years and many baby parrots have died as a result. I almost lost several, myself, so I'm speaking from first hand experience. I'm not a big fan of Pretty Bird but it's still one step up from Kaytee Exact.

When something like this happens with the crop of a baby, it's because the fluid has been utilized and the only thing in the crop is the formula food itself. The solution is to feed straight warm water and gently massage the crop to rehydrate the food that's not being digested. I add something called Prozyme and that will help break up the hard formula much better than just water.

Good luck at the vet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How is your baby? What did the vet say?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi hoping to hear from you about your little one. We are all concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your concern. :) I took him to the vet and everything was fine. It turns out that there were pieces in the seeds I was giving him that he wasn't digesting properly. So I took it away and am now feeding him only soft fruits and veggies. The vet told me I could mix in applesauce into his formula to help his crop go down... I tried it, but nothing seemed different. I'm still skeptical on the whole baby food thing...but cloud seemed to like it. He's doing fine now and is happy as can be. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Thank you everyone for your concern. :) I took him to the vet and everything was fine. It turns out that there were pieces in the seeds I was giving him that he wasn't digesting properly. So I took it away and am now feeding him only soft fruits and veggies. The vet told me I could mix in applesauce into his formula to help his crop go down... I tried it, but nothing seemed different. I'm still skeptical on the whole baby food thing...but cloud seemed to like it. He's doing fine now and is happy as can be. Thanks everyone for your help! :)
great to hear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts