Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
I can't dive yet 0-0
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, I post about cages and care a lot.
could someone tell me if my care is good;
fresh food and water every day
I feed four different kinds of nutiberries 6 days a week, and as a treat, Higgin's Vita Seed once a week (with the sunflower seeds taken out) Fresh fruits and veggies every 2 days.
I change the bottom of their cage every other day and do a deep clean once a week (with water and unscented soap)
I interact with them when they want it (which is usually every other day, for some reason) for 2-9 hours (Again, whenever they want it)
I have a 26"H by 13''L by 12"W cage with 1/4 inch bar space, and two food and water dishes, both filled with 1/4 cup of food.
I let them do whatever they want when they're out, as long as it's not harmful, they usually do laps between me and their cage, hang out on our indoor plants, and hang out on my shoulder. I've tried tricks, but it's pretty hard because they're not fully tamed yet, I've tried 'skate boarding', but they don't do it, I might try 'fetch' and 'basketball'.

Kiwi and Avocado say thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
I think you are doing great. It takes a while to let rescues / rehomes / wild one to warm up to you.
The only possible suggestion would be about the cage. It is fine for a sleep cage (use about the same size for mine) but if they end up spending a lot of cage time in it then you may want to consider one that is wider / longer. Parrotlets tend to go high so up and down does not usually have a lot of use, they tend to go back and forth toward the top of cages so width and depth play more of a factor. But if they are getting a bunch of out of cage time then this does not matter much. Also it is a bit of bird dependent. In cage my Jules was a bit of a perch potato and did not move around the cage a lot. Rio and Bo were all over it when they were caged.

Reactions: kiwi_and_avocado

·
Registered
431 Posts
sorry, I post about cages and care a lot.
could someone tell me if my care is good;
fresh food and water every day
I feed four different kinds of nutiberries 6 days a week, and as a treat, Higgin's Vita Seed once a week (with the sunflower seeds taken out) Fresh fruits and veggies every 2 days.
I change the bottom of their cage every other day and do a deep clean once a week (with water and unscented soap)
I interact with them when they want it (which is usually every other day, for some reason) for 2-9 hours (Again, whenever they want it)
I have a 26"H by 13''L by 12"W cage with 1/4 inch bar space, and two food and water dishes, both filled with 1/4 cup of food.
I let them do whatever they want when they're out, as long as it's not harmful, they usually do laps between me and their cage, hang out on our indoor plants, and hang out on my shoulder. I've tried tricks, but it's pretty hard because they're not fully tamed yet, I've tried 'skate boarding', but they don't do it, I might try 'fetch' and 'basketball'.

Kiwi and Avocado say thanks!
You are doing a great job! You could up the number of veggie feeds but in comparison to many bird owners you are doing a great job. In fact you clean the cage more frequently than I do (LOL). Just make sure your indoor plants are bird safe :)

Have you tried target training + clicker training? Those are usually the first steps to doing tricks like skateboarding and fetch, etc.

·
Registered
I can't dive yet 0-0
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are doing a great job! You could up the number of veggie feeds but in comparison to many bird owners you are doing a great job. In fact you clean the cage more frequently than I do (LOL). Just make sure your indoor plants are bird safe :)

Have you tried target training + clicker training? Those are usually the first steps to doing tricks like skateboarding and fetch, etc.
:)
Hmm? I'll try. I'm doing a cage upgrade (hopefully) to a 31" by 34" by 14" (I think, if not, it's close to that) cage, so why not but a clicker when getting the cage and toys ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are so very sweet! I heard somewhere that the upper perch should be placed so that they can sit up straight and stretch. It’s not so great for them to be hunched over and they look like they are determined to perch way up there : ) Also, my parrotlet Lily loves sola to chew and shred so that might be a fun addition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts