Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a blue parrotlet 4 days ago. When I first brought him home, he was kinda shy and chirped a few times. Then the next days he would make these really loud chirps for a short moment. It looks like he's now used to the environment; he's used to my hand now and he doesn't freak out when I pet him. However, as of yesterday and today, he has been very quiet and has been rarely been chirping at all. He's eating and all and moves from here to there but near around the evening he stays in that one spot on his perch and stays there. Is this normal or is something wrong with him? Also, he doesn't move around a lot. I think it's because he's bored in the cage. I ordered toys online and I'm waiting for them to come to see if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine is relatively quiet most days. Except for a few things. He's singing himself to sleep, which is super soft sounds. When I don't give breakfast and supper on time, HAHA! And if I leave the room, he gets upset. Oh, and he and the 2 budgies go bazerk when hubby gets home and sits in his chair. I swear they don't like him or something! Which makes hubby not like them bc they're too noisy. they don't do that ALLLL day, until he sits in that chair, then they're so loud nobody can hear anything!

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Well firstof all he's new to your home. It can take a week or so for them to become used to everything plus once he has toys he may perk up. How old is he? If he's a baby you should have millet in the cage for him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well firstof all he's new to your home. It can take a week or so for them to become used to everything plus once he has toys he may perk up. How old is he? If he's a baby you should have millet in the cage for him.
He's a few months old and I saw millet at the pet store when I got him but I thought I would get it some other time.

Is millet a big thing for baby parrotlets?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
He's a few months old and I saw millet at the pet store when I got him but I thought I would get it some other time.

Is millet a big thing for baby parrotlets?
In the beginning it is important when you first bring a bird home. It is a soet of comfort food. And usually if they are too scared to eat other things, they will always eat millet. Sometimes birds stop eating when they change environments due to stress, so always best to put it in the cage until you are certain the bird is eating enough other stuff.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Millet is vital!!! Babies need their comfort food as they settle in. It's hard to leave what they knew and go to a new place.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Chirpping, and such...

Greetings and welcome!

I've had my Blue Pacific Parrotlet for a little over four weeks now - she is about five months old. It took her quite some time to settle in, more than any other hook-bill I've had; I had to sweet talk her and sing to her to get her to eat at first, and for several weeks she would hardly move around and would not play with her toys. In the past couple of weeks, however, with each passing day, she is showing more and more of her big personality, playing and moving around more, chirping and chattering more, begging to come out, calling to me when I leave the room, and so on. She is a very sensitive little person, though, so it took some time and nurturing for her to feel safe and settle.

I suspect the same is happening with you new friend, and it will just take time for him or her to relax and settle.

Early on, though, it is very important to monitor them, and even weigh them every couple of days, just to be sure they are doing okay health wise; I'm still keeping a close eye on my baby, and still keep a towel on the back of her home to make her feel more secure, while meeting new aspects of her personality each day at this point.

She's eating her seed great, not so good with her soft food, unless, however, I'm eating, in which case she begs terribly, and even gets a bit demanding and pushy.

I wish you well with your new bird friend!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Azuki is a year old. We've had him six months and he's the quietest bird I've ever owned. Our last parrotlet chattered non stop. I think its just a matter of temperment end personality.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree, it just depends on the bird and if everything else seems fine then I wouldn't worry. Ham is pretty noisy... sometimes it might be nice to have a quiet bird :)

Also, you've had him for less than a week! When we first got Ham I was sad because I automatically assumed we didn't get a talker. He was super quiet the first couple of weeks. Now he won't shut up!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine likes to sing but he didn't do it much at first. He loves singing when there is white noise (water running, etc.) or when music is playing. But he doesn't sing all day. he is quiet a good portion of the day too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Takes young birds time to settle...
Keep millet in the cage all the time till
your sure your bird is eating..veggies seed etc.
(My birds have millet available all the time)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Peeps carries on a lot. I still have him in the bedroom, but he can see me and the TV when I'm in the living room. I turn the radio on when I'm not home for him and the dog. He is usually quiet when I'm in the bedroom laying down to stretch/ease the pain on my back or watching TV or reading. But eventually he opens up. I can tell hes trying to say something at times, but not sure what it is yet. i think i heard him say "good morning" a couple weeks ago when i had to get up early to take my stepdad for an outpatient procedure, little stinker woke me up a half hour before my alarm. Not sure where he heard that, prolly from the breeder. i usually say "hi peeps (or peepster)" he hardly makes any noise once covered... I'd like to find an app for my ipod to run a continuous loop of a couple words for him while im at school. thought that would be a pretty cool way for him to learn stuff. and hed think i was there too. Lately he's been trying to take a bath in his water bowl in the afternoon when I take a break. I laugh at him trying to fit his tiny butt in the small Petco stainless bowl. I have a larger one I'm going to put in there for him to bathe in. He doesn't like the sprayer, but the Linnie's love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts