Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bauer (My first parrotlet and bird) seems to be sick, but I thought I would ask you guys to make sure.

He started with like not moving around much, and he likes to stretch out one leg behind him on his perch. I noticed an occasional sneeze.

I took him out on Saturday, and noticed he sneezed like 4 times. He'd close his eyes sometimes, and he just didnt seem too happy. I also caught him hanging out on the bottom of the cage a lot.

So I got him the bird antibiotic and vitamin thing that u put in for water, I got a heating bulb thing (they use for reptiles) - 60 watts, and its outside of the cage aiming at the corner - so he has a warmer spot, and I've been leaving his cage more covered more often. I also bought him one of those hanging bird warmer hut thingies, thatsl ike a big soft fluffy tube he can hang out him and kinda be warm.

I live in Chicago in a kinda drafty apartment. You know its artic cold here, and I feel the cold breeze often. I also put a thermometer on his cage (on the lip that catches the mess), and its around 73-75.

Is he sick? He seems to be responding to my treatment really well - he hangs out in his hut, and i catch him soaking in the warm sometimes. He eats (I've been giving him millet spray as well), drinks (I check on him a lot and he'll climb on my finger and I'll take him to the water and he'll drink).

I just dont want to take him to the vet if its unnecessary - as the vet is like 20 minutes away, and its like 5 degrees outside usually.

What can I do? How long until he kicks the cold? Is it serious and I need to call the vet first thing tomorrow?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Andy I'm no vet but let me askyou, is there a discharge from his nose? is he forgaing for food on the bottom( I think the bottom of the cage thing is worrisome), does he feel hot. Andy call the vet and ask be safe than sorry. Andy call and ask questions at the vet. I'm gonna say a little prayer for him I hope he is OK. Keep us posted OK?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi andy.

if you bird is listless and unmoving (for a parrotlet, this is odd) you MUST take him to the vet. NOW.

and over-the-counter meds, esp. ones that you put in the water are ALWAYS a no no (and any place that sells them is disreputable for birds). they are too weak to do the job properly, you cannot administer a real dosage and you have no idea how much they are actually taking in (real oral meds are given in specific doses by syringe and prescribed by a vet), and they skew lab results when you finally do bring your bird in.

you MUST take your bird to the vet, i beg you. you have done well by keeping the bird warm. that is the #1 thing. that is good- but please- take your bird to a REAL avian vet, not just any vet. while there are no board certified avian vets in chicago (the closest one is urbana), there is ONE listed in the AAV database-

Byron de la Navarre
2752 West Lawrence Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
Phone: 773-878-8002
Fax: 773-878-0546

warm up your car in advance, and place a mild heat source in the carrier (a latex glove filled with water, microwaved; a hot water bottle; a portable heat pack), covered by a washcloth. cover the carrier with a heavy towel or blanket when transporting to the car.

here is something that you may not know: birds, as prey animals (not like the predator pets cats and dogs we are more familiar with) HIDE THEIR ILLNESSES. it is their instinct- the weak ones get killed in the wild, so they hide it until they are too weak to hide it anymore. when birds start showing symptoms they are NOT "just a little sick" they are a LOT sick. so please, take youir bird to a vet NOW, i beg you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I wonder too Kathy . Andy I hope your little bird is OK. I've been thinking about it today.( saying a little prayer)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've been giving him that stuff thats in the water.

He hangs out in his little house warming thing, and its close to the heater.

It seems like he's less lethargic lately? He cheeps a lot now, especially when he wants attention. I take him out (he'll climb on my finger), and then i'll give him millet and he eats like mad. When I try to put him back in, he'll crawl up my arm, like he's not ready to go back in.

I'll leave him out for awhile, and he'll mess with me, etc etc. Then, when he wants back in his cage, he flys (to the floor) and then I put him back in.

I will call a vet today - sorry I didnt respond sooner, work sometimes takes all my time. Work, and now Bauer ;) I think he's better? but I wanna be safe. He's taken a liking to me - right now he's sitting on my shoulder kinda behind my head. I'm leaned back in the chair so its easy for him to crawl around.

Do I need a bigger cage? I got the 18x24x24 cage (i think), or do I just need to take him out a lot? He makes loud screeches (for a bird his size) when I leave the room. its like he misses me ;) amazing considering i havent had him a month.

He likes to poop on me too.

He still sneezes, but theres *no* discharge. I dont know if he eats his seed/vegetables, but he eats millet like crazy.

Andy

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a pair in a 30x18 cage, and they are always flying around in it. Bigger is always better though!

Thats sweet he calls for you when you leave the room :)
Good luck with the vet, & keep us posted :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Andy,

It sounds like he's doing better - glad to ear it! Drafts kill birds faster than the cold does - just bear that in mind.

Regarding cage size take a look at Sally's (Chipper's) cage. That is what my vet recommended. You can buy a not frills, but similar quality, version relatively cheaply on-line. There are links in the cage threads on this site.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Andy don't ive him too much millet it's like giving them candy and they won't eat their good food. Mine has huge eating issues you don't want ot start that. He's calling you cause he likes you, I hope he does well and gets to feeling better. Your getting attached to him aren't you? You can get a bigger cage but as bad as the weather is right now you will be fine for now. Bitsey Jo's cage is not large but I take her from room to room with me, if I don't she calls me just like yours. Take care Andy and let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
once again, please do not delay further. he needs a vet. delays mean he's getting sicker.

did you read my post about in-the-Water meds being WRONG? discontinue those immediately and take him to the vet. in the next 24 hours, please. more delays mean more suffering, and your p'let is counting on you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldnt get in to see the vet until next week, however, Bauer seems to be not just healthy, but I think he's bonded with me. (see post - http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?p=1728 ).

He seems completely healthy, he's eating like mad, running around his cage, chewing all over me.

Should I keep the vet appointment? I think the major problem I had was the temperature, but I got our heater fixed and I got the little ceramic reptile heater thing next to his cage in the corner. He honestly looks way healthy, and he loves his little hanging-warmer thing.

Andy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sounds fine to me. I'd stick with what you are doing. Congratulations on the bonding.

Have you ever taken him to the vet? If not you may want to take him so that you and the vet get a baseline on him but I'd wait until it's warmer.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally Andy, I'd still take your guy to the vet. While your guy there may seem better, he may not be. He could be feeling better, but still hiding the fact that he still feels like crap.... I'd take him to the vet, get the to do a gram stain for sure and whatever else they think is necessary. If he's got some sort of bacteria infection or something, it's not just going to go away on it's own.

I too disagree with the water administered meds, their junk really. I'm not meaning this towards you at all when I say this, cause this is your first bird and you had no idea (cause there's a ton of bad advice out there) but I feel those meds are for ppl who are too cheap to go to the vet. They jsut give em and then cross their fingers it works and their pet doesn't croak on them, which is totally sad. Like Dani said, a vet will give you meds that WILL work and that are measured out and given orally to the bird out of a syringe. It's a waste of money to buy that water med stuff.

You have no idea what actually caused your bird to be sick in the first place. I would keep the appointment (unless you've gone already??) and get the bird checked out.

And on the topic of bonding and such. If your little guy is tame enough to take around with you in the house, then why not? Their such little guys, they'd be able to sit perfectly on a shoulder and ride around with you while you do stuff (dishes, on the comp, watch tv, etc). I have junk shirts I wear around our birds so they can poop on them and it doesn't matter. If you have an old button up shirt that's even better, then you don't have to pull it over your head. ;) However, you should be giving your guy some out of cage time everyday. As much as you can.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
once again, please do not delay further. he needs a vet. delays mean he's getting sicker.

did you read my post about in-the-Water meds being WRONG? discontinue those immediately and take him to the vet. in the next 24 hours, please. more delays mean more suffering, and your p'let is counting on you.
I agree with this post. Better to be safe and not sorry. The vets will tell you never to use those over the counter meds.

If it where me he would already be at the vets for sure. They go down hill real fast.

I would not wait until next week for that vet appt. that is too long for a bird.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts