TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loretta is 5 years old and she is so quiet and naps a lot. Her day typically starts at 8 am when she is alert, active and ready for her morning chop. After that she sunbaths and eats her pellets for a couple hours. She plays and forages for some minutes during the day and is chilling until 1 pm where she starts demanding her seeds and flying in the kitchen. After her seeds she is taking small naps from 3 pm until 7-8 pm when she is put away to sleep. I cover her and keep her on the floor of my room. I wonder if I disturb her and maybe she isn't sleeping well or if she is just a bit on the lazy side. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Little Loretta sounds ok to me. My p'let, Willow, is 10 and I can see a some difference in activity from when he was younger, but like your's he is generally more active early in the day, and then fairly mellow starting in the afternoon. I do notice a difference in how much he naps during the day if he doesn't get enough sleep, preferring 10-12 hours. Unlike Loretta, Willow has noisy spurts for sure, if agitated or wants something or wants to leave the room (which means often :). If she's consistently been that way, it may just be her nature.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Has there been a recent increase in the amount of time that Loretta naps? If so, a visit to an avian vet would be a good idea. Does she get at least 12 hour of darkness at night, which is what is recommended for parrotlets?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has there been a recent increase in the amount of time that Loretta naps? If so, a visit to an avian vet would be a good idea. Does she get at least 12 hour of darkness at night, which is what is recommended for parrotlets?
She has always been like that and we visited an avian vet recently for the first time and she was healthy. She was very alert while there and quite nippy. I just didn't think to mention it because it wasn't a cause of concern before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little Loretta sounds ok to me. My p'let, Willow, is 10 and I can see a some difference in activity from when he was younger, but like your's he is generally more active early in the day, and then fairly mellow starting in the afternoon. I do notice a difference in how much he naps during the day if he doesn't get enough sleep, preferring 10-12 hours. Unlike Loretta, Willow has noisy spurts for sure, if agitated or wants something or wants to leave the room (which means often :). If she's consistently been that way, it may just be her nature.
Yes it's been like that ever since I got her 3 years ago. She gets noisy spurts when she is hungry, thirsty and especially when she is ready for her seeds but is otherwise pretty mellow. She is very alert when I get her cage out to sunbath but when inside she mostly chills in one spot, preens or takes naps. I manage to make her forage for a few minutes per day but she isn't very intrested unless I hide the sunflower seeds in front of her lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If this has always been Loretta’s normal behavior for a few years, then I would not worry about it. Now, if she starts taking longer naps and appears lethargic, then it is time to get her checked out by a vet.

She may not be getting enough sleep at night. As mentioned before, 12 hours per night is recommended for parrotlets. You can try increasing her sleep time at night to see if that makes any difference. Is she in a quiet area when she sleeps? That provides your bird with a better quality of rest. My bird likes around 14 hours of sleep per night. I let her sleep as long as she wants. She lets me know when she is up. Because she gets plenty of sleep at night, I think may be the reason why she only takes a few quick naps during the day – which is usually after eating or being active.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If this has always been Loretta’s normal behavior for a few years, then I would not worry about it. Now, if she starts taking longer naps and appears lethargic, then it is time to get her checked out by a vet.

She may not be getting enough sleep at night. As mentioned before, 12 hours per night is recommended for parrotlets. You can try increasing her sleep time at night to see if that makes any difference. Is she in a quiet area when she sleeps? That provides your bird with a better quality of rest. My bird likes around 14 hours of sleep per night. I let her sleep as long as she wants. She lets me know when she is up. Because she gets plenty of sleep at night, I think may be the reason why she only takes a few quick naps during the day – which is usually after eating or being active.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Pip is a napper. He is active and then all of a sudden I find him napping on a perch or on his boing. Please excuse if I messed this up, I can’t figure out how to reply properly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts