Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mother has a male parrotlet, Oliver. He is two years old.

She also has a female parrotlet (Oscar's sister/clutch mate), Koana, and she is 5-6 months old.

She wants to put them together, as companions and possibly as a breeding pair (in the future).

They are both VERY territorial of their cages, and everything inside, including their toys, perches, etc.

She knows to put their cages next to each other, etc., but after, when it is time to put them together, whose cage should be used?

Should Oliver go in Koana's or vice versa?

Or should they go into a whole new cage, that is new to both of them. (This is what I think.)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Out of the two I am sure one is bossier than the other (it may be hard to tell right now)

What size cages are they dealing with? If it is something larger than yours then just put them together *L* They'll have enough space to get away and no boundaries to protect anymore.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Okay, if she can upgrade to a 21 x 32 like Sally shows in her pictures that will be best. I have a pair in a 20 x 26 currently and they do OK - but def. need more space. They may be adopted in teh very near future (*YAY* !!!!!) And they will go to their new home in the larger flight. They def. need the extra space. If she can do it, the double flight is even better :) We have access to that cage now and I am VERY excited!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well. . . I've talked with my partner... we are going to be looking for a home with a sun room! This will mean that I get my cage free bird room! Now I want to keep the p'lets in the living room, but they will be upgraded to the double flight cage by the time that happens.

I'm going to use that room for the 2 quakers. . . I would love to use the room for a B & G macaw, but I am afraid I just won't have the time with 2 p'lets and 2 quakers... just wouldn't be fair, especially to give a room to a B & G and keep the quakers caged. I could never rid of any of my birds to make room for another bird.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wonderful news!! If the room is large enough you can have ALL of those birds in it :)

Our room is only 20' x 12' in it: 6 pairs parrotlets, 1 grey, 1 pair macaws, 1 sun conure, 1 pair cockatiels, 1 pair bourke parakeets and they do MARVELOUSLY together!! (they are currently back in cages though b/c we have to work on their room a bit) Previously they all HATED one another and had blood death wishes upon each other *L* But in a cageless environment they release so much more energy and are too busy to worry about going after each other.

Cageless, free flighted is really the perfect solution to parrot keeping :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I brought it up, and really expressed my desire for this type of room. My partner finally decided that it would be a good idea that way my birds would be so happy... which would make me happy.

I've been so excited, we recently decided this! My partner gets to have a library/study to do whatever with. I get a sun room. Those are the 2 things we will be looking for when house hunting in the spring.

oh and back on subject. I would look to get a new cage so it would be neutral territory or a much larger cage.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you go to a bird show (and there are birds there) wash everything (including yourself, clothes, products, etc, etc) with Oxyfresh Cleansing Gele. My avian veterinarian advises this b/c it can deactivate things like the polyomavirus. Bird shows can be an awful grounds for taking home diseases, viruses, etc. Just be SOOO careful!

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
The prices on those sites are damn low. They are probably getting distributor pricing and selling them to the retail customer at wholesale pricing :mad: Not good for people like me that have to pay wholesale and mark it up to normal retail.

You can buy the cages from us for a bit more - doesn't save you anything but the proceeds all go towards the parrots in our adoption program, rescue efforts and so forth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts