Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new bird owner, head over heels for my 3 month old p’let, Kai. Learning day by day, so grateful for this group!

Bird Vertebrate Beak Toy Grey
Bird Leaf Branch Twig Beak

Any tips for getting snuggly & feisty birds distracted when you leave a room? She has her own bedroom and gets to the door before I can safely close it. She only goes in her cage to eat or (unwillingly) to sleep.

Thanks! Sophie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, new bird owner, head over heels for my 3 month old p’let, Kai. Learning day by day, so grateful for this group!

View attachment 47099 View attachment 47100
Any tips for getting snuggly & feisty birds distracted when you leave a room? She has her own bedroom and gets to the door before I can safely close it. She only goes in her cage to eat or (unwillingly) to sleep.

Thanks! Sophie
Kai is beautiful!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
love the pics. She is cute

·
Registered
903 Posts
Kai is adorable :) She looks so sweet!

To distract her as you are trying to leave the room, you might leave some of her favorite treats to munch on. That may give you some time to get out the door, otherwise, if that does not work, I suggest using something that she does not like to get her off of you. Red straws work great for my bird. She hates the color red and gets her off of me like a rocket!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the idea of a red straw, ty! I'm introducing new veggies each week, and so far she loves anything & everything green, and then I tried an orange pepper with her broccoli, so scary... 🤣

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Sounds like you are doing okay. The red straw sounds good. With both my p'lets, it was the color blue!

In the future...Remember that you have a female and as she gets older, she will start her hormone behaviors. So, try not to tickle her below the neck, on her wings, on her tail or feet. Rubbing and tickling her causes her to get in the mood, so to speak. This may cause her to lay eggs.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you are doing okay. The red straw sounds good. With both my p'lets, it was the color blue!

In the future...Remember that you have a female and as she gets older, she will start her hormone behaviors. So, try not to tickle her below the neck, on her wings, on her tail or feet. Rubbing and tickling her causes her to get in the mood, so to speak. This may cause her to lay eggs.

Dave
Thanks for that advice, not that she’d allow it.🤨 She’s a moody gal, which I’m fascinated by, and she only allows head scritches on occasion. Can’t imagine hormones will improve her demeanor. 😂 She does like to hide in my hair, especially when sleepy, then it’s off to her cage. I’m not sure where to draw the line there. She also follows me with great determination when I leave a room. My vet implied she might show dominance by being at head/shoulder level and to keep an eye on that. She is adorable!
Bird Beak Neck Feather Water bird

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
Thanks for that advice, not that she’d allow it.🤨 She’s a moody gal, which I’m fascinated by, and she only allows head scritches on occasion. Can’t imagine hormones will improve her demeanor. 😂 She does like to hide in my hair, especially when sleepy, then it’s off to her cage. I’m not sure where to draw the line there. She also follows me with great determination when I leave a room. My vet implied she might show dominance by being at head/shoulder level and to keep an eye on that. She is adorable!
View attachment 47104
Very cute picture. She definitely has attitude. I have heard the dominance talk before. I am sure it exists in some species such as chickens. I am not so sure it is a primary driving force with parrotlets. While I have had parrotlets be shoulder and head sitters. I suspect their choice has more to do with other issues then dominance. I have never seen any of my parrotlets trying to dominate me. They are more about having fun, getting you to pay attention to them or make you do what they want for whatever reason is in their little birdy head. Avian vets are valuable resources, but they are usually generalist and do not have as much individual experience on most breeds on a day to day basis especially a breed as unique and as sparse as parrotlets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cute picture. She definitely has attitude. I have heard the dominance talk before. I am sure it exists in some species such as chickens. I am not so sure it is a primary driving force with parrotlets. While I have had parrotlets be shoulder and head sitters. I suspect their choice has more to do with other issues then dominance. I have never seen any of my parrotlets trying to dominate me. They are more about having fun, getting you to pay attention to them or make you do what they want for whatever reason is in their little birdy head. Avian vets are valuable resources, but they are usually generalist and do not have as much individual experience on most breeds on a day to day basis especially a breed as unique and as sparse as parrotlets.
I'm happy to hear your point of view based on experience, thank you! It appears to me that she seeks higher ground (and/or my head & shoulders) for comfort and safety. We're currently working on Gentle Beak, aka stop picking at the scab from the miniscule bite you created on my hand.

Our new little greeting is a duck-like "quack". 🐦

1 - 10 of 10 Posts