Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my parrotlet home yesterday. I was very suprised at how quiclky he adjusted to his new home. Within minutes he was checking everything out and eating, food, not millet. I didn't take him out of his cage until this morning, I wanted him to have plenty of time to adjust before nightime. I took him out twice today for about 15-20 minutes at a time. He is a little nervous and flew off my hand a few times, but I expect it will take him a while to get used to me. The guy at the store where I got him told me he was a little "flighty". After seeing how well he adjusted to everything think that he will warm up to me in time. He did do something today that made me a little nervous. A few times today he sat on the swing he sleeps on and chirped repeaitally. Is this a sign of anything I should worry about? I don't know if this is normal or possibly that he is missing his brothers and sisters. If anyone has had any experience with this please let me know what I shoud do. I really want him to be happy and bond with me. Is there anything else I should be doing? Here are some pictures of him.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't know anything about what the chirps mean yet, but Gonzo is so beautiful! I'm sure you'll have so much fun with him!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I have to be patient, and I will be. He doesn't like to come out of his cage yet and I have to pick him up to bring him out. After he is out I play the step up game and give him a treat. Should I not take him out if he is reluctant or should I keep doing what I am doing? I have only been taking him out 2 times a day for about 15 minutes at a time. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
No need to worry – I guarantee you he will come around more quickly than you expect - especially with him being a hand-raised youngster.

Mine was a young rescue - so I decided to leave him in his cage to settle in – before long he was showing interest in me. I would sit close and talk to him often and within a few days he was coming over to me when I’d sit down for our chat – when I put my finger up to the bars he presented his head for a scratch and I knew he was ready to come out. It happened a lot sooner than I expected.

Just keep doing what you are doing and you’ll see how fast the bond happens.

The chirping could be just normal vocalization or if he was with other Parrotlets he might be contact calling. I wouldn’t worry too much.

By the way he’s very handsome :p

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
MMC32879,

I sent the pictures of Gonzo to my wife. She said "Looks like trouble" :D .

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts