Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here are my instructions for a shredable newspaper swing. I have made 2 of these so far for my little fella and he loves them. I made the second one with seeds in it. The 1st one lasted about 2 weeks before it became ratty enough that I replaced it.

Step 1... I take 3 sheets of newspaper (whatever size you want , I used smaller flyer sheets)

Step 2... Start folding them ...

Step 3... You can sprinkle on a few seeds if you like at this stage.

Step 4... Continue folding rolling and twisting until it is in the shape of a rope. ( I fold until it is halfway then start rolling and when it is rolled I twist it to make it hold together)

Step 5... I then take a small zip tie and hold the ends together..make sure zip tie is pulled as tight as possible.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 6... Braid the papers together the same way you would braid hair..trying to keep it as even and as flat as possible.

Step 7... Pull second end around and zip tie onto the 1st end to make a circle. If it is hard to do you can add another zip tie to hold the ends till you can get it zip tied into a circle. Push a zip tie into the last one so you can attach a quick link to it and hang.

Hope any one who makes this is happy with it and your birds enjoy it as much as mine does...good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is a GREAT posting! I saw mention of a newspaper swing previously but had no idea of what it looked like, let alone how to make it.

Can't wait to go home and give it a try! Thank you thank you thank you!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Great posting! Now I get the idea! Appreciate the pics! I'm going to make THREE this afternoon -- one for each P'let of course!!! ;)

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone is quite welcome. My p'let would have nothing to do wilh a purchased swing which our budgie now owns and really loves. This swing he loves and there is always a pile of fluffy newspaper "sawdust" under the swing...best of all it is practically free. Sure would love to see some pix of other peoples p'lets enjoying their swings!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Where do you get zip ties?
I love super cheap toys like this post details because it's wonderful to be able to provide the variety that Delphi really enjoys. He plays with toys, literally, all day long.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I made 3 newspaper swings this afternoon and they're a THREE BIRD HIT!!
Thanks so much for the nifty idea! Here's my babies, checking them out. They worked on them most of the afternoon!

This is Kiwi, a female and my little plucker -

This is Kermit, my male -- he made newspapers "sawdust" all afternoon! I couldn't get a picture of him with the cage door open -- he kept running over to the camera -- what a ham!

This is Angelina, the little blue female I recently adopted from a friend. She was a little more hesitant about the swing, but eventually got into it.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh thank you for posting pix...We are batting four for four then as it was an instant hit with my bird to... and during the 3 months a plastic swing was in his cage he never touched it once. This he is on all the time...lol.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
ParrotletsRock -

Last night, I posted my pics on another bird forum, saying I couldn't take credit for this nifty idea. This morning, a bunch of people with different kinds of birds are asking HOW to make them! I posted a link to this thread to send them in your direction, so you may be getting more questions!

Hope you don't mind!

Your fame is spreading!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh cool...lol. Im famous...excuse me I need to go put on make up for my photo shoot!!.... ( walks off with clouds swirling around her swollen head.) Actually this one I can take full credit for...it just popped into my head one day and I tried it...I have no problem if others want to make them..thanks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is a GREAT idea!

Can I post this on the Linnie Forum Blog?

Of course you would be credited for it?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Joanne, could i use your photos of your 3 musketeers playing with the swings?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Skthurley - SURE you can! No problem!

See Parrotletsrock -- I told you your fame was spreading -- the great chewable toy inventor in the bird world! ;)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts