Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friends recently moved to California and was unable to bring their bird Jules with. Being a kind friend I accepted to care for him. It's been about three weeks and he will not stop biting. I know a bit about bird and how to bond with them. Sometimes he will be very friendly and jump on your finger or cuddle next to your face. But the normal day with him is, if he sees your hand or can get next to your face he will bite. I talked to my friend and apparently he has always been this way. Jules is 3 years old. I would greatly GREATLY appreciate any help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, I wish I could help you but that's beyond what I know.
Some here have had some success with millet training their p'lets, so that they can get used to the idea that hands are not evil. But I honestly don't know if that applies here.
I will welcome you to the forum though and I can pretty much guarantee that someone will be able to drop in and give you the right advice.
While you're waiting try looking in at the training and bonding threads. You just might find something there.
Good Luck and again Welcome!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would suggest millet training. That way he knows that hands always brings good things:)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome! I think it will be a challenge, but I am sure with a lot of patience and regular interaction with your bird, he will come around.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree, regular interaction, loads of attention, singing softly, a quiet place to live. What is the cage like, toys, playgyms? Does he get to fly?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Welcome, you can learn a lot on this forum, but eveything with these little guys takes time. Millet trainning is good to use, as already suggested. Now my Zack started biting recently, my fingers, and he use to be so sweet, but one day it hit me...he was trying to get me to scratch him, and that was the only way he knew to let me know this. What I am saying is he might want something as in attention that you are not aware of and you have to try and find that out, in his mind..It can be aggression , it can be for attention..Some on here will not let their birds on their shoulders because they bite their face. With all this bonding it takes trial and error.So many here will give you so many idea's to try out, so stick around and we can do this together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate all the idea's, I will continue giving him a lot of attention and try the millet training. His cage I believe is a decent size and we let him out of it everyday. He's free to fly around, usually only does to go on our head. I think there is something he wants but I cant figure it out. The way he is, is if we try to touch him he will usually bite very hard. I could prob post a video of him later this weekend and have a link on here that would show what he does.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If he can fly to your head, that mean he is not afraid of you. When he is on your head, try to use a perch to have him step up onto it rather than trying to touch him with your finger.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hello, and congrat's on being a p'let owner!
I know exactly what you mean by their little "mood swings". My p'let is a 5 year old rescue, named Lola. She is definitely like this, besides the fact that I couldn't even hold her. Putting my hand too close to her guaranteed a hard bite. Well, I can't promise that any one method will work for you, but heres how to find it:
TRY. With Lola, I tried Millet (no go), I tried clicker training (nope), and then on desprate attempts, I started getting her to try foods and find her favorite.

Okay, despite my greatest attempts, who cared if it was her favorite food? That
scary hand was still there in the way. So, another bite. (OW)

Here's what the deal is: try finding a food that is both yummy and fun. Lola took well to training with unsalted/unbuttered popcorn. Seriously. The first time she tried it, I had her up on my finger and my shoulder, begging me for more. When it was all gone, however, much to my surprise, she stayed on my finger. For the first time ever she was happy to recieve my love.

So, I know this was a super long comment, but my point was, find something they enjoy both taste and entertainment wise, and give'er a go! There's no such thing as too much trying when it comes to a p'let. It is also proof that even a bird who is in their older years and un-tamed, CAN be tamed. It just takes time and patience and persistence and love. :p

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree with Rookieblue - food is the way to their heart!! I have a suggestion about that, too. I bought something called "Rollinis." They are a bird treat formed in a little ball and it's meant to be something for them to chase around. Last night, Coconut was nipping at my hands (as usual) and I figured that he was just bored. So I got out the Roliinis (I bought them at Petco or Petsmart) and started playing with him on the kitchen table. I would roll it and he would follow it, then take some bites off of the seeds that it is made of. His attention span was only about 5 minutes, but it did offer stimulation and some fun interaction. Oh, before I used them for play, I introduced them to him in his seed bowl. I noticed that he ate them up and they're kinda hard so he has to work at it a bit. Since he liked it, I knew that I had a winner. Here is a picture of the package.
Maybe Jules is bored, too?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
^I'd like to try some of those with Lola. There are a few things, actually. She's really not that picky, as long as you're smart about how you introduce the foods. Ex, if you shove the food in her face and it's bigger than her - she never forgets, and she'll never eat it even if you chop it up tiny. (Sweet potatoe pieces. Sliced - too big, diced - no go thanks to the sliced piece.) So be gentle! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figure I'll give a small update. I got a little bit of millet and popcorn, He doesnt really seem to care for them. I think he rather tear off my limbs today. I let him out and he's fine for a minute then devotes his time to trying to bite my fingers or my face. I'm going to leave a little millet and popcorn in his cage tonight to see if he cares for it. What about trying to mate him?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I only have a few opinions on this:
1. Perhaps he was not properly introduced to hands, but instead forced to accept them? If you have the time/patience - try starting right from the beginning. Finding his treat of preference, and train him to step up on a perch. After he's used to that start coaxing him onto your finger. Everytime that he sits without biting - praise him. Every time he bites give him a "time out" in a travel cage with no toys/treats, just a couple of perches & food/water. Only 5 minutes in the time out cage - however.

2. Getting a mate - Definitely a possibility. However, one thing I can't stress enough, make sure YOU want the mate, too. I'm not accusing you of it, but all too often people will get another bird as a mate for their first one and they don't really want the bird. Then, when the novelty of owning a bird wears off - or if the birds don't accept each other and now the person is left with two seperately housed birds - the birds don't get proper care. So-just make sure if you chose to get a mate, it's because you chose to.

But always remember - hand taming (etc) IS an option - it will just require time and patience.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just checking in to see how it's going and wondering if you've run out of bandaids yet ;) lol
Hopefully you'll find the right combination without too much personal injury. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Here is a little trick I use on Day 2 to stop the nipping of the hands. A towel in the lap or use the towel as a step tool once the baby is attached close the towel around the baby (do not grab the baby), once they get comfy, play a little peak-a-boo.

then try and pet and give scratches to the head, bites, then back off and tighten the towel PILE exposing less and less of the body, then try again, do this for a couple of days and you should see some results on the hand nips.

Once fear and biting of hands is removed, then you can try Time Outs to stop bites everywhere else on your person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts