Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
This is all the information I have:

I have the Parrotlet Handbook and it mentions them briefly: Here is the online link - http://books.google.com/books?id=9i2Lg7gZf6MC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=parrotlet+%22karl+plath%22&source=web&ots=pBF7kDqD7X&sig=VjNomUAmH7_YmOz-Uv86GWtEwEk ( I don't believe the picture are Lucida's )

Sandee Molenda discovered the Lucida in her breeding stock somewhere around 1991 and found that they were indeed a Sub Species (these were birds from the wild). There is also reference to them in 1932 by the Chicago Zoo curator of birds, Karl Plath. (you can search him on Google for more information).

The Lucida females have light blue or turquoise on their rumps and a blue eye streak. Some females can have some light blue on their wings. The males instead of an Olive back have a sliver-gray wash over their backs - they can also have a grayish-mauve band of feathers across their chest and their eye streak tend to extend around the head - Their rumps and wing color tends to be a somewhat lighter blue compared to the usual dark cobalt blue.

The Lucida's colors emerge as they molt - usually within the first year they are complete.

Besides their color they are by all means true Pacific Parrotlets - which is probably why there is so little written about them - reading on Pacific Parrotlets will give all there is to know. It is their color that marks them as different.

I believe the Lucida description in the parrotletalliance.org site is incorrect.

The Parrotlet Ranch has the most accurate description I have found: http://www.parrotletranch.com/thelostlucida.html

They are also known as the Ridgeway Parrotlet.

As Sally stated any other information on them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I must have missed that in the book. I didn't see any Lucida in the index. Have to look again.

I just love to learn about new things and there isn't much at all. I think they are gorgeous and seems people would sell them. I was surprised when Chipper turned out to be different. I just find it very interesting!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is one of maybe two online! I have read that. Thank you. Not much out there. I meant to add that page, but added two of the other.:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts