Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

Before you give in to your urge to bet Nemo a live friend, see what happens with everyone else who just doubled up. I think there are 4 or 5 members that just got an extra bird!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Baby used to do that with a little cloth toy too, but whenever I got her new cage I moved the toy to the back of the cage, and now she doesn't care about it. I felt bad for her too, but she seems to be okay now.

My girlfriend has talked about getting her a little friend, but I don't know if that will work. She's the jealous type. She used to attack my girlfriend whenever she would come near me, but now she loves her. She plays with her, and does cute things for her. Baby is moody. I think she was kind of going through a phase or something.

I'm going to see how all the mates on the site are doing (like ArtS said) before I get her a friend.

You just feel so bad for the little guys . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I read some where that this can make some birds aggressive and that they'll ignore you or not want to come out of the cage. Kind of like the whole mirror thing. I never put a mirror in Baby's cage because I didn't want her to get attached to her own refection.

Maybe you should try moving the toy to another area of the cage. I can't get another bird right now. What to do? :confused:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dae & Kathy,

The only way this will be a problem is if the toy replaces socializing with you. As long as you spend quality time with your bird and do not let him/her get nippy (make sure he/she understands you are at the top of the pecking order) you and your bird will be just fine.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Some birds do this in the spring. Chipper has never done it, but I have seen many do.

I enjoy having one bird, if you want more you can get more, but Chipper is so close to us and so quiet. We like things the way they are. She seems extremely happy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I like having multiple birds, but it is difficult. Each one has to have time by themselves without another bird, so I have coordinate their time out.

Gelato the parrotlet has to have time with just the 2 of us or with another person, he does not like other birds. period. He terrorized my budgies when I let him out of his cage in my bird room... and I'm to nervous to let him out with my quaker (who also hates all other birds)

My quaker actually bit the toe off of my budgie who was in a cage... I turned my back to pick up some text books when I heard screaming and saw blood. My budgie is okay btw.

Just because you bird acts lonely doesn't mean another bird is the answer. My parrotlet snuggles with his binky, but doesn't like the idea of any bird near him. He prefers me and my partner, that's it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kathy I can relate – I just went through the very thing you are. My male Parrotlet fell head over heals for a toy and started to not want to come out of his cage and was protecting the toy when you’d come near the cage. He was torn; he’d fly out to us and then immediately fly back to his ‘toy’. It was heartbreaking.

One thing almost everyone said to me was not to remove the toy – it would be more cruel to do that –

I found out [this is the quick version as I could go on for hours :eek: ]

I threw him out of ‘whack’ by adding a full spectrum light. Plus I work so he is alone with his toys more than with me so it wasn’t much of a surprise he would fall for something he spends most of his time with – day and night.

On one of the other bird forums a lady wrote this in one of her posts to me – and it just hit home for me and I couldn’t stop thinking about it –

- “Parrots are undomesticated and wired for constant companionship. They cannot change this fact. So this is why so many people have psychological problems with them. They're forever looking for something they can’t get.... humans to be birds or vise versa. “ –

After reading this I felt so bad for my bird and I decided I was getting another bird even if I could never keep them together in the same cage – at least they would have constant company from one of their own species.

Now – I am NOT recommending this as a CURE for everyone. Having another bird was something I knew I could handle – whichever way it went. Having the extra responsibility is different for each person – I recommend everyone do their own research and do what will work for them.

In my case, although it’s only been one week – I know I absolutely made the right decision. My Parrotlet is acting like a Parrot and the contact calling he was doing to me every time he saw me or every time someone left the house has completely stopped – he is content to have his Parrot friend by his side.

The two birds get along and are already bonding. My male Parrotlet on the second day started to ignore the toy he was so fond of. And has gone back to coming out of his cage and hanging out with us and his new mate.

We will see where the future takes us as they mature together :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like having multiple birds, but it is difficult. Each one has to have time by themselves without another bird, so I have coordinate their time out.

Gelato the parrotlet has to have time with just the 2 of us or with another person, he does not like other birds. period. He terrorized my budgies when I let him out of his cage in my bird room... and I'm to nervous to let him out with my quaker (who also hates all other birds)

My quaker actually bit the toe off of my budgie who was in a cage... I turned my back to pick up some text books when I heard screaming and saw blood. My budgie is okay btw.

Just because you bird acts lonely doesn't mean another bird is the answer. My parrotlet snuggles with his binky, but doesn't like the idea of any bird near him. He prefers me and my partner, that's it.
WOW, Catfish, seems like you have your hands full. Sounds scary, fun, exciting all at once.

We used to have a budgie, but eneded up giving him to my sisters father-in-law (he has quite a few), when we brought Baby home, Edward (the budgie) was so happy and thought he had a new friend. NO WAY!! Baby hated him and tried to beat him up. We felt bad for Edward, so we gave him to my sisters father-in-law. Edward is super happy now with all of the other birds.

I don't think Baby would play well with another bird. She is very attached to us. She chases the cats off sometimes whenever she's out and they come and sit next to us. She is a feisty little girl!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Parrotlets are notorious for bullying other birds and other house hold pets – even ones MUCH larger that they are. Hence they should always be watched around others.

However, they are birds after all and do pair up together – its just nature. Even the feisty Parrotlet will pair up with another Parrotlet. However once they are paired up they will fend off even other Parrotlet pairs and other birds.

Although even a bonded pair of Parrotlets will interact with their humans although not overly so – they will save that for the other Parrotlet - and even a Parrotlet bonded with a human can bond with another single Parrotlet ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kathy, Bitsy has a favorite toy, although he still loves to come out and be with us. He talks to the toy, sleeps near it or on it, etc. As I could see we'd be in trouble eventually if the toy wore out, I did go out and buy two more to put aside. Whew! Now no matter what happens to "Fluffy", we have another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts