Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so... I have had canarys for quite some time. This one I bought 3 months ago does not sing. There is a 90 singing day Guarantee and on the last couple days I told them I'd like to exchange for one that sings.

They have been looking for a replacement for weeks, the 90 days has passed, and I am leaving the city.

I went to another petstore today. There was one little lonely bird in a cage that would open her mouth slowly when you move your finger slowly. I asked how much the little bird was, and if this was what a parrotlet is. He said yes, its a little handraised girl, would you like to see her? I was like she is an awful small bird won't she fly away? He said no... and took her out... she perched on his finger... hovered to the cage... back to his finger... came on my finger for a while. I dont know. I just really liked her.

So I told the canary store that I want my credit for the canary, and can they arrange so I can get this parrotlet from another store instead, and pay the difference? Worked out that I could. So I took her home tonight.

Bought her some toys, a mineral/calcium bone, a cocketail/lovebird mix food..

Um

She sat on my finger for a while, then I put her back in the cage so she can explore her new home. I think she found the food because she is in the corner munching.

I'm going to be keeping up with these forums and reading a lot about them.

I hope I'm not a bad person because this was impulsive. I kind of have a pathetic story behind that. It was my birthday this weekend and only my mom and dad remembered. My brother didnt. No one else did. No cards or calls or nothin... so this was like, my thing for me.

Is there anything I can do for her to make her feel more comfortable? Will she make happy noises if she is contented? She made a few peeps when she hopped into her cage.

Please dont hate me for not doing research first. I'm an animal person with other pets and i usually do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No name

All my birds for the last few years have been boy canaries named Chico.

So I dont know if I'll keep calling her else or name her something else..

I don't have much of an imagination really...

My dog(rottweiler) is Gypsy, my cats (persian)Spooky and (ragdoll)Phoenix... my ferret(Faerie).... hamster(paul twitch)

·
Registered
794 Posts
North, it's gonna be o.k. You know these little birds are like little children. The are very very intelligent, you parrotlet may not ever talk or it may talk it's little head off. Happy birds sing, have you ever heard that, just like people. Just always be aware of it's creature comforts like you would your self, your cold..it's cold, you know you have pets. Please just know you have purchased yourself a wonderful little friend be sweet to it and it will love you for years to come and please come here and ask questions we all do. Dave has made it possible for us to do just we are doing now...Talk. Good luck and keep us posted and if you need any of us just ask. Memmey

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had not done research either..In fact it was christmas and my hubby had purchased me a canary book, and a "voucher" that I could get a canary after the holidays. When we went to the bird store to purchase a red factor I wanted, I saw a little parrotlet in the next cage. I never even heard about parrotlets, and was warned by store staff that they would wait until the babies came in because he was a year old and not tame. Talk about an impulse buy! Sometimes you just "know".

Oh, if you are sticking with Chico, how about "Chica", since she is female?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Hey thanks for being so friendly.

Does she want a nest or a house/tent to go in? i cant tell. She is taking treats out of my hand and I got a picture of her perched on my pop can.

She's only made a few noises so far. A couple peeps and she made a loud parrot-y noise a couple times. Oh and she peeped along to my music.

Nice to 'meet' you all. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kathy I would love to see a picture of your hut, I am going to buy something for her tonight, I think. I also want to find a tiny perch for her to have on my desk. So far she sits on the edges of drinking glasses or pop cans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, i was told by the pet store guy that because of her colour she is a girl. Is this true. Can anyone verify that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The males have a blue strip by their eyes and the females do not. Here is a pic of my newest baby in his happy hut. He is 4 months old and has a bad foot so I think it feels good for him to hang out in there and give his good foot a rest. I had the happy hut in Boogers cage but he never once used it. He prefers to sleep hanging from the ropes on his wood duck. I get the ducks at walmart but be warned once they start chewing them up they are addicted! And you will be replacing them often.
Linda

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks ladyscroller! That tent is very cute. I think I will look for one for Bird. She crouches up in a little ball in the very corner of her perch and peers at me with one evil eye while i walk around and keep her awake.

Oh... I think she may be waking up now... I just got a couple peeps.

By the way, I think I'm naming her Bird. She seemed to like that one when I was going through a cycle of names with her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts