Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. My family is new to owning parrotlets, but we have owned a bird before. Our last bird died of old age. Our Parrotlet was in perfect condition we thought, and today I needed to go to class with my family and we came home after two hours. We came back and he was on the floor with his legs curled up barely breathing!! He is still kind of clumsy acting, I am having my whole family care for him. The vet is FULL and we need help PRONTO! Please give me some advice. We are spood giving him apple juice. When we bought him from petco, he was in good condition, I had read about them for some time and finally got him. He was on an only seed diet, so we asked for advice and an experienced woman told us to only put in the seed 1 hour a day and give him fruits all the time, and a pellet diet. We tried that and that's what's happening (it's been about four days.) We have had him for about three weeks now. Thank you for any help!

Update: His toes are no longer coiled, but still, please give advice! :(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Where are you located? We can get you the name and location of the nearest avian vet which will be much more useful than one of our opinions.

Art S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where are you located? We can get you the name and location of the nearest avian vet which will be much more useful than one of our opinions.

Art S.
We called all the vets, and all of them are booked, unless we go somewhere about 2 hours away. :( We got one vet to atleast call us, but he doesn't get there until later. He is getting better. Any tips? I will take any you have at all even if they only help a little. He is also a male. We have him on Nutriphase millet (as a treat), Zupreem Parakeet fruit pellet, Avian Entrees Ultra Premium Diet for Small Birds, and one hour a day kaytee forti-diet parakeet. We bought him at petco, he is handraised.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the vet is your only option at this point do not call just show up they will not refuse you if you do.
Hope your bird is ok please just go to the vets walk in.

Update when you can

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A nationwide list of certified avian vets is in this thread:

http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=184

If your bird is acting sick, it means he's REALLY sick!! I suggest that you go to your nearest avian vet (don't go to a regular one if you can help it, they usually can't do much for small birds) and DEMAND service - that's what I would do.

I hope he'll be OK, good luck!!

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
In the mean time, I would change the fool and replace the water that's in the cage - there may be something contaminating it.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only real vet we have is in Petsmart. I checked the site and they said the closest is over 800 miles away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Currently he isn't in his cage. We are all holding him with a warm towel (the person at the vet in petsmart said that we should keep him warm over the phone.)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I wish i could help you more but it sounds like you are doing all you can. Maybe someone else with better advice will chime in.

If you give us more to go on, it mayy also help.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok.

Yesterday we gave him some strawberry and he went crazy, but was trying to eat the seeds off of them. We put at the bottom of his cage instead of newspaper paper towel (white) so we can tell his poops color and see if he is sick. It was red that day. Well, not red but pink. We started to take him out of his cage more three days ago. He was trying to eat some spilled seed off of the floor. He has a hide away hut which is blue. He loves going into it. We gave him apple this morning for his fruit. Currently we are giving him apple juice. Currently his poops are just black, no white.

By the way, thank you so much. I hope he makes it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did you spray anything around him did you clean with anything that could have affected him...please please go to the vet make them see you! poor baby was he starving himself because of the food change?.....make the vet see you you have to be aggressive to have him seen or you may lose him.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No please that is not anywhere close to normal for them to be in that condition..that little thing is really sick they don't just get over that please keep calling and demand to be seen

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The bird needs a Vet – an Avian certified Vet.

The best advice you will receive is to make an Avian Vet see the bird as soon a humanly possible.

By the time a bird acts like you have described they are VERY ill – birds instinctively - as a survival tool hide their illnesses and they hide it very well – by the time they actually show signs we recognize as illness, they are deathly ill.

Provide Warmth.
You need to keep the bird warm – sick birds use up a lot of their reserves trying to keep their body heated. They need to be kept at about 30-35 degrees Celsius or 86 – 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
A hot water bottle (wrapped in a towel) or a bar heater is the best form. Fan Heaters or lights can be harmful.

Change all the food you have been feeding the bird and throw the food you have away. Give it clean seed and Millet [buy a new batch, I wouldn’t use the food you have been feeding incase there is a problem with it]

The advice you received from the so-called expert, in my opinion is ridiculous – NO BIRD should be deprived of the food it is eating to force it to eat a new or a different food.

Also when feeding fruit or vegetables they must first be washed thoroughly to remove any pesticide residue that could be on the outside. Also the skin and seeds of the fruit should not be fed to the bird.

But this bird might have something other than a food issue here – it needs professional medical attention – it’s our job as our bird’s guardian to get them to an Avian Vet when ill – Please try to find a vet and as stated before just show up there.

Please let us know what happens - Good Luck !

·
Registered
45 Posts
where are you located as there has to be a vet around other then Petco??

You can take the bird to any vet and then have them do a phone consult if that is all that is around.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It makes me NUTS when a vet does not let in an emergency! That is thier JOB! My vet runs late sometimes because of emergencies! I am fine with that!

All vets should care for emerg. right away.

I am so sorry about your birdie! I hope he gets better and you can find a good vet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hope you do find it in you to get the babe to an avian vet. This is not something you can work through without one. The feces sound very bad being so dark. This shows major problems on top of other things. My regular vet is three hours away from me - so really think about that two hour drive if you can't get in locally. It will be worth it. Did you have the bird vet checked when you got him?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bird needs a Vet – an Avian certified Vet.

The best advice you will receive is to make an Avian Vet see the bird as soon a humanly possible.

By the time a bird acts like you have described they are VERY ill – birds instinctively - as a survival tool hide their illnesses and they hide it very well – by the time they actually show signs we recognize as illness, they are deathly ill.

The advice you received from the so-called expert, in my opinion is ridiculous – NO BIRD should be deprived of the food it is eating to force it to eat a new or a different food.
Yes, yes, and yes to those comments quoted above! If you cannot find an avian vet JUST SHOW UP at your current vet. Your parrotlet could quite possibly die without being seen by an Avian vet regardless of his present apparent condition. Keeping him warm and trying to make sure he is eating is just one part of the process. Just because he seems to be getting better doesn't necessarily mean he is. No offense, but I wouldn't count on any PetSmart/PetCo or other chain-type pet store for pet advice. The employees at those stores are frequently uninformed (among other things) and while some may mean well they could ultimately cause more harm than good if their recommendations are followed. A bird who has his food switched cold turkey can die of starvation within days.

Please keep us informed and good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts