Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who also have a dog:
Is there any way to get rid of fleas in carpet with birds in the house??
My daughter doggy-sat for a friend not knowing the little guy had fleas. Now she has fleas in the carpet and is worried for her 3 fids.
Please help...I've never had a dog!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Diatomacious (sp?) earth cuts up flea's skins so they dehydrate. It also cuts up carpet fibers, so it is best to use it in non-carpeted areas. For carpeting, "shampoo" it-- not necessarily using any shampoo-- just to get it wet. Then have everyone over for a party (just joking) because the vibration of living creatures plus the humidity will encourage the fleas to come to life. Then vaccuum like crazy, every day. You can also set up yellow lights over trays of water at night. THe fleas are attracted to the light and land in the water. Oh-- they're good swimmers, so put a drop of dish detergent on the surface of the water so that they will drown.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Fleas and their eggs cycle. You have to poison and then do it again later. The bombs work but you have got to remove the little p'lets for sure and then clean all the surfaces that the aersol lands on. Oh my this is gonna be a huge project for her. Poor thing. I believe I would ask the friend she doggie sat for to help with the soapy water clean up part of the proceedure. I would not trust the flea bomb company if they were to tell her it wasn't toxic to birds. I'm sure that it loses it's toxicity after a while. Good luck to your daughter...no good deed goes un punished.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I get rid of them succesfully by sprinkling borax all over the carpets. Leave it for a day or two. Vacuum it up. Repeat as necessary. The last time I had fleas in the house, I did not even have to repeat at all! I just don't let the birds on the floor during this time, and no one is allowed in the room until the dust has settled from sprinkling it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I've read that you can use Epson Salt, sprinkled on the floor and leave for 2 days. It dries up the eggs. I bath my dogs weekly and vaccuum every day, emptying the canister. I have 6 dogs in my house with no fleas. Good luck to her.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've had dogs and cats all my life - Thank god for the modern remedies.

The what I call - Old wife's tales - never did really work.

To thoroughly get rid of fleas for good you need to use one of the modern fleas killers:

Advantix - Advantage - Frontline - or the like - the stuff you get over the counter doesn't work.

go to petmeds.com or a Veterinarian..

I haven't seen a flea since this stuff came out - many many many years now -

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
oops - I missed the part about your daughter just doggie-sitting and not actually owning the dog :eek: :eek: The stuff I mentioned in my last mail only works when applied directly to the animal (Dog or Cat).

Maybe she should doggie or kitty sit again and put the advantage on the animal :D - it works pretty quickly and kills each flea that comes in contact with the animal. Of course she'd have to keep the animal until the flea eggs hatched so it could kill those fleas too :eek:

I've never been able to get rid of fleas in the past until this stuff came on the market - they breed and multiply so quickly.

It would be bad living in a house without a dog or cat that has fleas because the fleas have to bite the humans to feed - I feel terrible for your daughter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she has a dog too, and now her dog has fleas!! Thanks for the ideas everyone. I hope they can get rid of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good ideas everyone! Personally, I have found the dishwater w/light on the floor works great. I've never tried Borax, though I have heard that it works for all kinds of pests. As for the diatematious earth (D.E.), it is great for ants in your lawn, I have not tried it in the house. You will be able to find the D.E. at your local pool supply store - it is a filter media. Luckily I haven't needed any flea remedies in quite a while - knock on wood! Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts