Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to get a parrotlet in about a year from now and have been doing research on care, housing, and whatnot. While I've thought out details from accommodations to name (Celia or Avi sound cute), I don't know what a good place to get one is. There isn't anywhere in-state that I can find, and I can't drive out of state. I'd need to find someone who could ship, and is a reputable breeder. I've read a few horror stories about poor parrotlet breeders/shipping and would like to avoid that.:(

I've gotten some recs already, and am mostly asking for the sake of variety at this point. Ideally, I'd like a blue and white female (they're so cute and look like the sky), and is one of the reasons why I'd like to know of more than one place to get one.

Please PM me any reccomendations! :D So far I've looked into a breeder in Michagan, Ohio, and Florida. I'm a little nervous about the distance it would have to be shipped for the first two though.

I'd get one earlier if I could, but my current apartment doesn't have enough (safe) space, so I'm waiting until I've moved and have a good environment.

PS: Anywhere in the US is fine, I'm just worried about how long it would spend in shipping. I wouldn't want the poor thing to be cooped up longer than it has to be.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
I'd like to get a parrotlet in about a year from now and have been doing research on care, housing, and whatnot. While I've thought out details from accommodations to name (Celia or Avi sound cute), I don't know what a good place to get one is. There isn't anywhere in-state that I can find, and I can't drive out of state. I'd need to find someone who could ship, and is a reputable breeder. I've read a few horror stories about poor parrotlet breeders/shipping and would like to avoid that.:(

I've gotten some recs already, and am mostly asking for the sake of variety at this point. Ideally, I'd like a blue and white female (they're so cute and look like the sky), and is one of the reasons why I'd like to know of more than one place to get one.

Please PM me any reccomendations! :D So far I've looked into a breeder in Michagan, Ohio, and Florida. I'm a little nervous about the distance it would have to be shipped for the first two though.

I'd get one earlier if I could, but my current apartment doesn't have enough (safe) space, so I'm waiting until I've moved and have a good environment.

PS: Anywhere in the US is fine, I'm just worried about how long it would spend in shipping. I wouldn't want the poor thing to be cooped up longer than it has to be.
Shipping will always be a bit stressfull and have some risks, but I have done it three times and I can tell you all of my birds went United Pet safe and arrive perching, chirping, eating and drinking. They have very specific guidlines about handling them, they go in a presurized cargo area just like the cabin, they are not allowed to sit on the tarmac, etc. etc.
Typically the boxes they ship in are very similar to a nest box and visibility is low so to the baby it is similar to the nest and there is not to much room to see all the scary stuff go by. They are required to have a perch and enough seed for a few days.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Good to know about the shipping experience you've had.
Best to you in finding an adorable baby.
The excellent breeder I got Ollie from does not breed parrotlets anymore, sorry.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found two breeders who I'll probably by from

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've found one breeder in particular I like and will probably go with, potentially another one too that's near by. :DThank you for all the help, I'm glad I decided to go on this forum and ask, the top google searches just left a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I looked into them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
My first one came from Florida. The way that shipped him was really great. The container was larger and the inside was fixed up nice for him. I will message you with the link where I bought him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great place to get parrotlet

Hi,

I bought my parrotlet 3 years ago from a breeder in San Antonio, Texas. My little Pearl is so sweet and playful. The breeder is very nice and so knowledgable. I had never owned a parrotlet before and she answered all of my questions and concerns. Its is a great place to get a parrotlet!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts