Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this question has been asked already but I was wondering what temperatures are ideal for our birds. I ask because we're experiencing temps in the mid to upper nineties here in Connecticut and I'm not sure if I should leave George in the sunroom or if I should be leaving him in the house in the a/c on days like this. I didn't put him out on the sunroom today but if he can tolerate these temps, I'd rather leave him out there as he seems to enjoy it. I'm also wondering how soon I should plan to move his cage into the house permanently once it starts getting colder. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
90's is very hot. I would keep her in the house. I keep Chipper in the house. We keep the ac at 73 degrees. We have a sunroom, but we do not have her there, gets really hot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
*L* Preferences here, see I am cold at 73 F! You'll find me in pants and a sweater if the house is at 73. 90 is hot, but our house sometimes gets that high, the bird rooms and entire house are all the same temp. I like it and the birds do too, but we have ceiling fans going in every room and the windows open all the way around. LOTS of circulation. If the air was still like most houses, it would be too hot. When it gets muggy we turn the A/C on and get it down to about 80 or so. My macaws get too hot over 90, the others are comfy though. They will pant if too hot.

I do think that 59 F is too low, but not dangerous for them. We only get that low a few times in the winter and I do not see any discomfort or adverse reactions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I do keep a ceiling fan going at full blast in the sunroom and as I mention in another thread, the sliding glass doors are open all day so there's plenty of circulation. It does stay a few degrees cooler than the outside temps because the sun doesn't beat down on the room much if at all. I'm wondering, however, how I can tell if he is uncomfortable, just so I know what to watch for. Thanks again, you've all been very helpful to me the past few weeks and it's been great!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
WOW, guess were are very different, ha. I have to have it cool. Don't you get sweaty when it is hot? My little Shih Tzu loves it cool too. I can't even stand 75 degrees. It is so hot and humid outside. I love coming inside to be COOOOOL! I am sure the bills would be better if I kept it hot though! My doggie would be ill though, me too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I do get sweaty if I am working on something, but I don't mind that either :) I just feel really good being warm/hot. Now very humid is not ideal, my old house smells weird when it gets very humid (July/Aug.) and that's when the A/C goes on! Right now I am at my shop and rather comfortable, it is 87 F The humidity is too low for the birds at 47%, but we can't do anything about that at this location. We are based inside of a print shop and they have to have it dry. So until we move the shop later this year it will have to be that way!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are ideal temps for putting your bird outside in the summertime (obviously in a secure cage)? Is in the seventy's okay? Also what about parrotlets being in an air conditioned room? Is it okay when it is hot, humid, and sticky outside to be in AC? :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes to both questions.

About the "secure cage" Each person seems to have a different idea of this. The safest outside cage is one that is heavy duty on it's own strong stand, or a free standing aviary. Others are knocked over too easily, even if set upon a table. I would advise against outside in a regular cage unless you can closely monitor. Then again if your yard is fenced in I am sure it will be safer. And of course clip all doors shut!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Those are some good points for outside time –

Clipping the doors shut is a must – I used twisty ties to lock the doors until I noticed the birds biting at them :eek: not good – so I ordered some individual bird cage locks on line.

Constant monitoring is a must – even with a fenced in yard cats can be drawn to the noises the birds make vocally and in playing – and all it takes is one. If I ever have to go back into the house even for a minute I make sure my dog stays outside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so what temperature is too low?
and what about taking a wet bird out of a warm shower into a air conditioned house? could the shock of the temperature change harm her?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't worry about it; they're insulated. They'll be fine, unless your idea of a/c is 40.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I apologize if this question has been asked already but I was wondering what temperatures are ideal for our birds. I ask because we're experiencing temps in the mid to upper nineties here in Connecticut and I'm not sure if I should leave George in the sunroom or if I should be leaving him in the house in the a/c on days like this. I didn't put him out on the sunroom today but if he can tolerate these temps, I'd rather leave him out there as he seems to enjoy it. I'm also wondering how soon I should plan to move his cage into the house permanently once it starts getting colder. Thanks in advance for your help!

I usually keep the ac on around 73 unless it is very hot than i turn it down to be comfortable..I do have a sun room and it does get hot in there at times but if i am in the sunroom (where the cage is) i move Riley out of the sun and spray him with warm water often. If it gets to hot for me than the bird, and dog, and myself go to the ac. I also keep the screen doors open. I"ve had Riley for almost 4 years and he has never had a problem.. good luck..:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I live in Florida and all the birds spend most of the day (all but a few hours) in the bird room which is not air conditioned.
Temps range just like outdoors.
When the winter lows dip down under 45 (and they do) I have a space heater I use.
They never seem to warm. I do make sure they have cool bath water to splash in.
Some bathe more than others.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Think it depends on the bird. One of mine seems to have issues below 75, the other one seems to be fine with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Since my house is old and drafty I keep the temp over 68 year round. Im not concerned about heat, just cold. We don't have ac. As far as wet birds go I usually wrap soaked birds in a towel and dry them as much as possible.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts