Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Vision L01 cage for Pugsley. It is a good cage, and I am happy with it. Pugsley is enjoying it tremendously! The only thing that I did not like too much are the doors. I don’t like how they slant down when opened. The doors are level when inside the cage, but not outside. Also, I don’t like how the doors can easily fall inside the cage if you are not careful, possibly hitting your bird. Well, I have been ordering things on Amazon and there was a mix up - they sent me three JW bell toys instead of one. (Amazon said to keep them). So, I am using the two extra bell toys to level the front doors on the cage on the outside. It now makes it a platform for Pugsley to land on and take off from. Using the bells has worked perfectly! They are only $4.99 each! I just thought I would share this with fellow Vision cage owners. Now, I need to figure out how to prevent the doors from falling inside the cage accidentally. Still working on that one! I have included pics and the link if anyone is interested.
Vertebrate Light Product Wood Yellow

Wood Pet supply Bird supply Glass Shelving

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
That is a good solution. I have always had issues with bird cage doors. The only ones I like are the ones that swing sideways. I have had ones that swing up and have had them fall down and hit / trap the bird. Sounds like the ones that swing down also have issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Oooh so clever! Well done! Look at that little cutie patootie. Makes me want to reach out and give him scritches.

I had to actually go to Kiwi’s cage and open her door. It opens out but goes down to level - which I used to call her deck. It won’t go inside the cage. Looks like a good door design on this one.

Just a little sidebar - I took in my sister in law’s English budgie a number of years ago (she passed awhile back - the bird, not my sister in law) and she loved wearing her bells as little hats. She was such a clown. She would have adored those little bell toys. Sigh. 💕

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a good solution. I have always had issues with bird cage doors. The only ones I like are the ones that swing sideways. I have had ones that swing up and have had them fall down and hit / trap the bird. Sounds like the ones that swing down also have issues.
Me too, Ozzie! It was such a pain finding a cage that didn't have guillotine doors. They don't call them that for nothing! They can be deadly. Cleopatra's smaller cage has them and I used it when she was a baby. She hated that cage when she got a little older ( always wanted out) and would lift the guillotine doors up as much as she could and drop them. Bam! Bam! was all I heard until I let her out. I couldn't take much of that and got her a flight cage with a large swing sideways door. Happy bird. Happy life.:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooh so clever! Well done! Look at that little cutie patootie. Makes me want to reach out and give him scritches.

I had to actually go to Kiwi’s cage and open her door. It opens out but goes down to level - which I used to call her deck. It won’t go inside the cage. Looks like a good door design on this one.

Just a little sidebar - I took in my sister in law’s English budgie a number of years ago (she passed awhile back - the bird, not my sister in law) and she loved wearing her bells as little hats. She was such a clown. She would have adored those little bell toys. Sigh. 💕
Awww! I can imagine a sweet little budgie with a bell on its head! How adorable is that? Well, Pugsley has shown not much interest in his bell yet. I think I need to move it somewhere else. You know how just moving something to a different spot can make all the difference to them. I was thinking about your Kiwi today. I gave Pugsley some baked chicken for the first time and he loved it. I remembered that Kiwi loves chicken too! It is funny how we start knowing each others birds so well on this forum. It is nice, isn't it? 💚

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Cute idea, I have never had an issue with the doors being on an angle, my guy learned to land on them. I also hold the door so it does not go inside as I do not like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Awww! I can imagine a sweet little budgie with a bell on its head! How adorable is that? Well, Pugsley has shown not much interest in his bell yet. I think I need to move it somewhere else. You know how just moving something to a different spot can make all the difference to them. I was thinking about your Kiwi today. I gave Pugsley some baked chicken for the first time and he loved it. I remembered that Kiwi loves chicken too! It is funny how we start knowing each others birds so well on this forum. It is nice, isn't it? 💚
Oh that’s so cool! Yes, Kiwi does love a piece of chicken from time to time. So sweet that Pugsley tried chicken for the very first time. 💚💚 Our little man growing up. 🥹 I am glad he enjoyed it! What a good little adventurous birdie! So proud. Yes I really love that we are able to share stories and try things with our own birds. It warms my heart to know you were thinking of Kiwi and decided to try something new with Pugsley. It is really cool.

I wish I had a photo of Po (the English budgie) with that bell on her head. She would duck under it and tilt her head so it would come down over her eyes. Then she would chirp and chirp - for what, I was never sure. Maybe she was saying, “you can’t see me! You can’t see me!” Haha! It was so cute. I would say “where’s Po-Po? Where did she go?”. When she passed and I buried her in the flower garden, I hung the bell over her resting place. Sometimes the wind would blow enough for it to tinkle and I would say, “Where’s po-po? Where did she go?”. I could almost see her little face under the bell.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cute idea, I have never had an issue with the doors being on an angle, my guy learned to land on them. I also hold the door so it does not go inside as I do not like that.
Hi Rizzie! Thanks! I agree that the doors may not be much of an issue with most people. (Cleaning the cage seems to be). That part does not bother me. The doors are my pet peeve with the cage. Also, I posted this because I thought some people might like having another option using the doors. I know Pugsley likes it better! He is starting to take off and land like a pro! 😀

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hi Rizzie! Thanks! I agree that the doors may not be much of an issue with most people. (Cleaning the cage seems to be). That part does not bother me. The doors are my pet peeve with the cage. Also, I posted this because I thought some people might like having another option using the doors. I know Pugsley likes it better! He is starting to take off and land like a pro! 😀
I was cleaning the cage I had the top part sititng on my island. somehow it fell to the floor. I broke the plastic top part and can not get a replacement piece. I currently have a piece of tape on that corner and good thing Sunshine is not a random chewer. Ive accidentally dropped the door inside and it startles my guy he literally jumps!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lin, sorry to hear what happened to your cage! :eek: That is terrible! A friend suggested putting the cage on the floor to detach the cage from the base when cleaning it. I have been doing it that way, and it works well for me. I am glad you can put tape on the broken piece without Sunshine chewing on it. (Good boy, Sunshine!) Some birds you just wouldn't be able to get away with that! You did check with Hagen already? On their website, you can replace the whole roof.

Regarding the doors, again. Even trying to be careful, they can accidently fall. I bet it happens to people all the time. I have almost done it! I have an idea on how to stop them from falling inside. If it works, I will post it. Otherwise, it will be back to the drawing board! :unsure:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Lin, sorry to hear what happened to your cage! :eek: That is terrible! A friend suggested putting the cage on the floor to detach the cage from the base when cleaning it. I have been doing it that way, and it works well for me. I am glad you can put tape on the broken piece without Sunshine chewing on it. (Good boy, Sunshine!) Some birds you just wouldn't be able to get away with that! You did check with Hagen already? On their website, you can replace the whole roof.

Regarding the doors, again. Even trying to be careful, they can accidently fall. I bet it happens to people all the time. I have almost done it! I have an idea on how to stop them from falling inside. If it works, I will post it. Otherwise, it will be back to the drawing board! :unsure:
Hi the replacement part was not available but I did get two replacement food bowls for free for my trouble and for waiting.

I have a playgym right next to the cage and Sunshine uses the door as a ladder to get to the floor of the gym. I have a perch outside right next to the door. Sunshine sits on that and sings to me

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It was nice that Hagen gave you some free bowls to compensate for the delay! That says something about them as a company. (y)
Awwww! Sunshine is such a sweetie singing to his mommy! 💛I love that! You need to post some more pics of him. We could all use a little more Sunshine in our lives! ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is great idea, Flora! Thanks for sharing! (y) I tried using a rope perch in Pugsley's cage, but the little stinker started chewing on it. Of course, I had to remove it.:( It is funny, I have rope perches attached to his playstation and he hasn't touched them. Go figure! But I am keeping an eye on him because he loves to chew on things. I came across a boing on Planet Pleasures which is made of abaca rope (also called hemp rope). It is all natural, very strong and tightly wrapped. All this sounds good, so I am going to buy one, and hopefully it is more Pugsley proof! :giggle:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are smart 🤓
We also have this type of cage for our budgie. (Our parrotlet has another more traditional cage.)

One thing in particular which we don't like about this cage is that it is very hard for one person to disconnect and move out its bottom part.
Because there is no sliding out tray in this cage, we have to disconnect its bottom once a week to thoroughly clean it. And we only can do it together with my wife: I'm raising and holding the top, she moves away the bottom.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing in particular which we don't like about this cage is that it is very hard for one person to disconnect and move out its bottom part.
Because there is no sliding out tray in this cage, we have to disconnect its bottom once a week to thoroughly clean it. And we only can do it together with my wife: I'm raising and holding the top, she moves away the bottom.
It is funny that you should mention that. The other day, Pugsley's daddy helped me to clean the cage for the first time. I had been doing it myself. We did it a little differently than you and your wife. We placed the cage on the floor like I have been doing, and he took one end and I took the other. It was so easy to detach the cage and move it over onto some paper towels, and then place it back again. You are so right! Having another person helping does make it so much easier!. (y) That is the way I want to do it from now on! 😁

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had promised that if I figured out a way to prevent the doors from falling inside the cage I would post it. I figured this out a while back but kept on forgetting to mention it (Sorry) As you can see from the pic, I used another JW bell. I removed the bell and just turned the plastic piece upside down which blocks the doors from falling inside. When I removed the bell, there was a little opening where the bell was attached. I plugged it up to prevent Pugsley's foot getting caught in it. Just me being cautious again. I used a small piece off of some Planet Pleasures shredders. It has worked fine. A tiny piece of paper towel would work. Anyway, one less thing to worry about! Works great! :)
Wood Glass Metal Building Ceiling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts