Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if someone else already thought of this. I’m a new bird owner and my little guy, Blu, is very young. He was born in January this year, 2022. So he is small.
while I was making cookies…it dawned on me…that my silicone cookie sheet liner would be great as a cage bottom.
i put it in top of the grates. When it’s dirty…I just roll it up, take it out,… rinse and dry with a paper towel and slip it back in!
im going to order more, …I just had the one sheet to test . It’s food safe. Washes easily…and is reusable. It is also slip -free so my little guy can walk on it without looking like he’s gliding on ice.
what do you think ?
Wood Flooring Mesh Gas Composite material
african grey Bird Parrot Grey Macaw

Hood Product Automotive tire Mesh Textile

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well first of all, Blu is absolutely adorable!!! Look at that little face!! He’s so wee, too! 💙💙💙

Now that I have that out of my system, I think your silicone cookie liner is super creative! My only hesitation would be their love of chewing literally everything. One of Kiwi’s favourite things to try to (unsuccessfully) demolish is my phone case. While they spit out most of what they shred, they do ingest some pieces. It’s great that it’s food safe silicone but still not ideal for them to ingest. It might be better if you were able to put it under the grate, although that would still mean some poopy messes in the bars of the grate. I don’t have a grate in Kiwi’s cage so perhaps others will be able to weigh in with their thoughts. It looks amazing!!

I love these creative ideas! It’s so awesome that you’re always thinking of your little dude, even when baking cookies!! Haha!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first of all, Blu is absolutely adorable!!! Look at that little face!! He’s so wee, too! 💙💙💙

Now that I have that out of my system, I think your silicone cookie liner is super creative! My only hesitation would be their love of chewing literally everything. One of Kiwi’s favourite things to try to (unsuccessfully) demolish is my phone case. While they spit out most of what they shred, they do ingest some pieces. It’s great that it’s food safe silicone but still not ideal for them to ingest. It might be better if you were able to put it under the grate, although that would still mean some poopy messes in the bars of the grate. I don’t have a grate in Kiwi’s cage so perhaps others will be able to weigh in with their thoughts. It looks amazing!!

I love these creative ideas! It’s so awesome that you’re always thinking of your little dude, even when baking cookies!! Haha!!
my thanks on your kind compliment. He’s super sweet, and has been very good at being handled. He likes to spend time on my shoulder and hands,..on the perches I’ve made him, and rummaging about his cage. Not interested in toys.
he already says a bunch of words too…and I giggle every time he talks!
I’ve been lucky, he isn’t a chewer (except for my jewelry! he loves diamonds!) . i guess if I see him nibble the edges of the silicone , …then, I’ll remove the cookie sheet liner. So far so good! It’s super easy to clean, and not slippery on his feet.
Since I put it down he explores the bottom more.
(recent problem - I introduced him to nutriberries and chia seeds and that is all he wants to eat 😩 )

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well!! He loves diamonds!! He is certainly a little prince!! LOL! You sound like you are doing great with him already. I can’t believe he’s already talking! So awesome! Kiwi is a girlie so while she has very specific chirps for certain words (“pretty girl” is the most pronounced), she doesn’t speak. I have only heard them talk on videos and it is so darned cute!! Little stinkers. They’re so adorable. And smart. And perfect. Lol!!

That’s a good approach to the silicone liners. It will be obvious if he tries. It would be ridiculously awesome if it works - clean up would be a breeze! They’re little poops can be like cement sometimes - and if I am totally honest, their poops have always freaked me out…in the “wow, that’s gross” sense of the word. They had litter on the bottom of Kiwi’s cage when I bought her so I never really saw it. Then my avian vet suggested newspaper or paper towel so that it would be easy to see if there was something wrong with her poop. Great idea - but wow. I was not expecting that!! Lol!! Your silicone liners will help with that too.

I am looking forward to hearing more about him as he grows up (again, sooo wee!!!).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well!! He loves diamonds!! He is certainly a little prince!! LOL! You sound like you are doing great with him already. I can’t believe he’s already talking! So awesome! Kiwi is a girlie so while she has very specific chirps for certain words (“pretty girl” is the most pronounced), she doesn’t speak. I have only heard them talk on videos and it is so darned cute!! Little stinkers. They’re so adorable. And smart. And perfect. Lol!!

That’s a good approach to the silicone liners. It will be obvious if he tries. It would be ridiculously awesome if it works - clean up would be a breeze! They’re little poops can be like cement sometimes - and if I am totally honest, their poops have always freaked me out…in the “wow, that’s gross” sense of the word. They had litter on the bottom of Kiwi’s cage when I bought her so I never really saw it. Then my avian vet suggested newspaper or paper towel so that it would be easy to see if there was something wrong with her poop. Great idea - but wow. I was not expecting that!! Lol!! Your silicone liners will help with that too.

I am looking forward to hearing more about him as he grows up (again, sooo wee!!!).
I wish I knew how to upload a video. He says, pretty boy, baby bird, baby, whisper (I tried to teach that as a soft word, but he screams it) , no bite, step up. Never talks much when I am holding him….but screeches those words when I leave to go into another part of the house. Lol.
im buying bigger silicone mats. This small one I’m using has been a blessing ! And yes, those neat squiggle green poops are weird! Lol. But at least it’s not a splat or a plop!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Oh wow! Such a talker (screamer LOL) already at such a young age! The bit about the word whisper is hilarious! Haha! Love it! Unfortunately I have no clue how to upload a video either but if you do manage to figure it out, I would love to hear him. He has quite the vocabulary already!

The bigger mats are probably better to prevent him from chewing too, if they fit more snugly around the edges of his cage. I do like that it makes it easier for him to walk around too. Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow! Such a talker (screamer LOL) already at such a young age! The bit about the word whisper is hilarious! Haha! Love it! Unfortunately I have no clue how to upload a video either but if you do manage to figure it out, I would love to hear him. He has quite the vocabulary already!

The bigger mats are probably better to prevent him from chewing too, if they fit more snugly around the edges of his cage. I do like that it makes it easier for him to walk around too. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Thank you. And your little kiwi is adorable! Such bright plumage! I love the color❤

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It sounds like a good idea. But to be honest, I would be hesitant to use a silicone mat in my birds cage for the same reason that Jackie is concerned. I would worry about ingestion. These silicon mats also contain fiberglass. It is hard to keep tabs on what your bird is doing all the time. and with our birds being so tiny, it may not take much to do them harm.. Birds are attracted to the feel of plastic and silicone. That is why they are always after our phones and remotes, etc. :rolleyes:So even though your said Blue doesn't chew much on things - be careful. I know you want to keep your little cutie safe! 💙

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
What a little sweetie!! None of my Parrotlets really talked but my Bourke has quite a vocabulary! Sometimes he still says "hi tobie hi tobie"
Tobie was my little guy who passed it makes me sad but I hope he always says it and dozen forget.

This liner is a fabulous idea, I have never seen anyone do this! I also wouldn't only put it under the grate, just in case you never know when he might start chewing. I do put paper towel on the top of my gates and that accomplisher kind of the same thing is you wanted to try that.

Do you have a Google android? I make links and then copy them to the site for videos. ♥

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a little sweetie!! None of my Parrotlets really talked but my Bourke has quite a vocabulary! Sometimes he still says "hi tobie hi tobie"
Tobie was my little guy who passed it makes me sad but I hope he always says it and dozen forget.

This liner is a fabulous idea, I have never seen anyone do this! I also wouldn't only put it under the grate, just in case you never know when he might start chewing. I do put paper towel on the top of my gates and that accomplisher kind of the same thing is you wanted to try that.

Do you have a Google android? I make links and then copy them to the site for videos. ♥
Hi,
I’ve been using the mat now for over a week, on top of the grid,…and I love it. He loves it. He isn’t a chewer, but I’ll keep an eye on it. He walks securely on the bottom, and I can easily clean it. Win win.
sorry you lost your little Bouke. He sounds wonderful.
Blu says a bunch of words now. He picks them up easily. He nibbled my finger the other day, then ‘’ he ‘’ shouted, ‘don’t bite’. Lol. He makes me laugh.
i don’t have an android. I use an iphone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts