Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Oh I am so very sorry to hear this difficult news. My heart goes out to you. These times in our lives are so painful, I know only too well. But he was a very lucky little bird to have such a loving home. Not all are so fortunate, sadly.

Right now, your other little fella needs your presence, patience and love. He will be confused and your presence will be reassuring. It’s never easy to know if another bird will help. There’s no guarantee they will tolerate each other. If you do decide to get one, you will have to keep them in separate cages until you are sure they won’t attack one another. Parrotlets are very territorial and can be extremely aggressive if their space is invaded. Supervised out of cage time is the best way to see how they manage together but it has to be supervised. In any event, they will need to be separate for a period of time when you first get the new one to ensure no issues with disease etc. But while you consider whether or not to get another one, see how it goes with this little guy. Talk to him, keep him close when you are having meals, if possible, and share some of your food. Feeding time is a social activity for them and it will help him to not feel lonely and to bond with you.

Please let us know how things are going. You are in my heart.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Awww Dipsy. So lovely. They sure do wiggle their way into our hearts, these little fluffballs. I am glad that your little green dude is finding some distraction in the other birds and giving you some space to make good, informed decisions. Decisions based on emotion don’t always work out well. Sometimes they do, but not always.

I completely understand your dilemna about what to do with sweet Dipsy’s body. If you donate his body to the vet school, which is indeed a noble option, are you able to recover his ashes when they are done? I ask this because both of my parents donated their bodies to a medical school and the school cremated their remains and returned the ashes to me. I don’t know that s vet school would have the funding to do this, but you may want to ask. Even if not, you could ask what is done with the remains when they have finished - it may help you to decide what you want to do.

What I believe with my whole heart is that they leave their bodies behind when their energy/soul - whatever you want to call it - is released and it is for those who loved then to honour them in whatever way we see fit. I don’t believe in having to see the body once life has left it and it is perfectly reasonable to prefer to have your last memories of him as a living creature. No one gets to dictate to you what your heart is telling you. “Closure” doesn’t necessarily come from seeing a body whose soul has passed. To me, it is what you do leading up to that moment - the love, companionship, comfort and care of a lifetime together right to the moment of passing that counts. You have given him all of that and as it happens, he passed without your presence. As sad as that may be, that is how life goes sometimes. Does that mean you now have to look upon his little body? Not for me, no. But you should honour him and that can be by donating his body so that another kind-hearted soul can learn how to help these lovely creatures. My beloved mother once said she would like to believe that a student who used her body for medical study would one day save a baby from dying. The same could be said for Dipsy - perhaps the student who studies him will save other little birds and bring happiness to other loving families. Alternatively, burying his body in a special place that you can visit, or planting a tree or beautiful flower with his remains is also a very beautiful gesture of love and respect.

So you see? There is no wrong answer here. You and Dipsy shared love and love doesn’t die. That is still here with you and is still with him wherever he may be. Try not to let your struggle deepen your pain. He wouldn’t want that. Your heart knows what to do because Dipsy is there, in your heart. Just listen to it and find your peace. That will then let our sweet Dipsy fly free.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Wow. That’s incredibly beautiful. What an honour to our sweet boy. And the rainbow - Wow. What a grace to get a sign like that. He will always be with you, in your heart, part of who you now are. And he will always be part of this forum’s flock. I am deeply moved. Thank you so much for sharing. 💛💙

1 - 3 of 3 Posts