Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. There is a lot of pain from losing these little guys especially one of a pair. You have my sympathy and empathy and if there was anything i could say to make it better I would but sadly there is not.

Early on I had a bonded pair of parrotlets called Bo and Jules that we rescued from an over stressed bird lady. We lost Bo to seizures about 6 months in. I think that seizures is a common way for these little guys to go out. In our case his seizures kept getting worse until we did what had to be done. The remainder parrotlet Jules grieved. Then something strange happened. We started paying more attention to her and since we did not want her alone allowed her more access to us. As her bonds to Bo faded she bonded to us intensely. It sounds corny but we became a flock / family. My wife said she brought something to us that we did not know we were missing. Jules was the best pet we ever owned from 2013 to 2021. In 2020 it became obvious that she was getting older and heading to the end of it. We found her a buddy and her last favor to us was training him to us and us to him. It was wild for a while with two free flight parrolets around the house again. Sadly she moved on but she is still the best pet I have ever had.

My advise would be to allow more access to your family to the remaining bird and see how they react. Every bird is different so you never know how it is going to go. Then you can make a call if you want an additional bird or leave it as a single.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Thank you so much for your most kind words and advice. It all so raw to me, seems i may lose a plot a bit.

Thank you for sharing Bo and Jules' story. Could I ask you try to remember anything that helped Jules coping in the first weeks?

I have started thinking to donate him but only because i am a coward and would no bare see him dead. see was so full of life and mischiefs. but feel guilty. is somewhere there a tread discussing our last duty toward our pets?
Your duty is what makes you guys feel best. For us I buried Bo under a tree by the river on our property and about a decade later did the same to Jules. They both were wrapped when we got them back so we did not have to look if we did not want too.

As for what we did different with Jules after Bo was free flight her with us. Previously her and Bo had a room that was sort of theirs, it was home office. After Bo died, Jules became free flight in most areas. But she became a Velcro bird being on us or one of a few perch sites for her. We became a bit like a Disney movie with a little blue bird flying back and forth among the family.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts