Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have two parrotlet and I thought both are male.

Recently as it is getting colder, the apartment is getting cozy and warmed up. Then my two parrotlet started mating. I thought they are being gay...but I started to feel like they are actually male and female.

My Green one is definitely male, as it has deep blue rump and wing. My pied Blue one does not have deep blue. I thought he was male when I bought from breeder, I feel like he might be a female from his behavior and hormonal change.
1) He hides in the dark gap between cages
2) He shreds paper and hide under the paper in the bottom of the cage
3) He sits and bends this body down and shows the aggresiveness (but he is not too much aggressive)
4) He started having huge poop

Do you think he is a female? He has light blue rump and some blue line up on his eyes. Because he is dilute pied blue coloration, his blue is very light and i do not see darker shades in wings.
His behavior reminds me female budges. From his behavior and picture, please tell me if he is female actually.

Very much appreciated-

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hello, I have two parrotlet and I thought both are male.

Recently as it is getting colder, the apartment is getting cozy and warmed up. Then my two parrotlet started mating. I thought they are being gay...but I started to feel like they are actually male and female.

My Green one is definitely male, as it has deep blue rump and wing. My pied Blue one does not have deep blue. I thought he was male when I bought from breeder, I feel like he might be a female from his behavior and hormonal change.
1) He hides in the dark gap between cages
2) He shreds paper and hide under the paper in the bottom of the cage
3) He sits and bends this body down and shows the aggresiveness (but he is not too much aggressive)
4) He started having huge poop

Do you think he is a female? He has light blue rump and some blue line up on his eyes. Because he is dilute pied blue coloration, his blue is very light and i do not see darker shades in wings.
His behavior reminds me female budges. From his behavior and picture, please tell me if he is female actually.

Very much appreciated-
Based on the description and pictures, I think you have a female. My bird is a blue pied male and he has a distinctive blue bum and streak, even on top on the white colouring.

EDIT: Although that first picture is pretty misleading in terms of rump colours... looks like a streak behind the eye but then the second picture there's no streak. Do you have any other photos in brighter light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, Agueilo! Yes, yours looks more distinct blue in the wing, which I don't see in my parrotlet. I attached another picture.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply, Agueilo! Yes, yours looks more distinct blue in the wing, which I don't see in my parrotlet. I attached another picture.
It's strange though because there's definitely a little colour in the eye there, but it's very faint. I would still bet that she's a girl but I wonder if anyone else has any opinions.

Beautiful birdies though! They look like they like each a lot. Little birdie cuddles :)

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Both males and females can have the blue eye streak/shadow and blue rump. The ONLY way to differentiate a male and female is whether there is blue on the wings. The blue may not be the deep blue that was mentioned depending on the mutation. Do you have a photo of the wings of the blue bird? From the behavior described, especially the shredding of paper it sounds like a female. But really the wings are the determining factor in whether that is true. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, Jackie. I uploaded two more pictures of the wing. I apologize its not clear. Hopefully you can tell.. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
You have to look at the wings to be 100% sure. As already mentioned, male parrotlets have the cobalt blue in their wings. With pied colors, you have to look very closely at their wings for any cobalt blue. Since they're pied, their wings may have a lot less blue than normal due to the pied patches changing the normal colors. Here's a great example chart.

I can't tell if your blue pied is a male or not from the wing pictures you attached. Side note, don't take them back to whoever clipped his wings. They cut way more feathers than needed. They cut some of the secondary feathers that cushion and protect their body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, okay.... Thank you so much! It is hard to tell from the feather. I really appreciate for the picture example.

By the way, is there any case you have seen if two males are mating together? Is it possible if they don't have female option??

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
You have a male and a female. In my research, I have not found one single instance of two males trying to mate or two females trying to mate.
Sometimes when males fight, one male will try to pin down the other by trying to hold' down the other by laying his chest across the neck of the other ( like chest bumping each other, with one trying to be taller(more dominant) than the other). This lasts about half a second.

You will be able to tell the difference if they were fighting~~no doubt! It is not very pretty at all. These birds can fight!

David and Ricco:cool:;)

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I have a girl who looks like her. I can see the rump enough to tell yours is a female. If her poo is really large she might have an egg, depends how big the poop is I've heard it's pretty unmistakably large if they are about the lay an egg. How old are they?
The eye streak is normal, my girl has a pretty prominent one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, her poop is getting bigger, and I can see her bottom is getting bigger too. Actually I saw a broken skin of while inside shell like thing with yellow yolk inside near the cage. It was so broken and tiny that I thought it was some mistake.

I saw them mating clearly several times (riding on top of blue one).

I did not even put nesting box. I thought birds will never mate if there is no nesting box available (from my experience with budges).
How can they mate and have eggs without proper housing!??

Appreciated.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
They can't help themselves. Nature is strong. Through the years in this forum, I have read about eggs being laid in the middle of the cage bottom. Even without a male being there!:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks David, I can't believe this is happening. I believed until last Saturday he was male! I am so not ready for this!!!!

By the way, this blue one is two year + old. Green must be 4 year old. Nothing happened last two years. They used to fight a lot so I thought 100% male-male.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Well looks like you have eggs! Do you have a cozy hut or anything like that in the cage? THat can mimic a nest. Birds will lay even without a mate, one of mine did. Make sure shes getting 12 hours of sleep and you should get her a calcium suppliment. I would discourage them mating if you dont want eggs, go interupt them if you hear hanky panky happening. Separating them would probably stress her out, I might wait on that and work later on getting them in a side by side divider cage with supervised time together... I did that for a while. My pair were happy side by side while I was gone and then when I came home I would take out the divider and moniter them.
If she ignores the eggs you should be able to take them out... if she shows interest in sitting on them you might want to wait a few days, wait untill she lays 3 or 4 that is about the size of a clutch (maybe 5) them let her sit on them a while and remove them. THis will keep her from thinking she needs to keep laying more for her clutch. My bird ignored hers, it was like it was not ever there so I just removed them.
Search the forum for egg laying and read up on all the threads, you will get lots of information suggestions. Its a bit much to cover in one post for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now she is confirmed female. She officially laid first egg.
I made a little paper box and put upside down in the cage and make it like tunnel. Now she is holding it.

I wasn't expecting this but it will be so cute because I raised both my parrotlets since little and now they have babies! What a wonderful miracle of creation of life!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Now she is confirmed female. She officially laid first egg.
I made a little paper box and put upside down in the cage and make it like tunnel. Now she is holding it.

I wasn't expecting this but it will be so cute because I raised both my parrotlets since little and now they have babies! What a wonderful miracle of creation of life!
I guess that's one way to confirm it! Congrats on the grandbirdies :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts