Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I looked up how to take care of a baby starling and landed here.
I found a baby Starling stuck in my fence and I tried to leave it there but couldn’t find any parents nearby so I took it in. I could use your help on how to take care of the bird.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
That is a fully feathered bird, known as a fledgling. The best thing to do is leave it in a safe spot outside (like in a bush). It's parents come to feed it as needed, but most of the time will be invisible for safety. At that age they are supposed to be out of the nest and figuring out the world, with just occasional parent visits.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
I found some starling specific information on this website: Frequently Asked Questions about European Starlings (starlingtalk.com)
If it seems injured, then you will want to contact an avian vet for help. If it seems uninjured, then being placed in bushes or tall grass for its parents to feed will be best for it. It is just learning to fly, and so it is likely to be bad at it, but the only way for it to learn is to be out there trying. Its parents will feed it.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Yes..please put it near the area you found it. Put it up and off the ground, like in a bush. There are millions of Starlings in Florida where I live. Your fledgling will call his momma and daddy and they will come and help him get adjusted to his world. Try to not make friends with it so it won't imprint and trust humans..

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts