Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well my friend to the South, you sure are giving it an impressive shot. I am not super surprised that the clipping has had such an effect on him. He was extremely dominant and being able to fly likely contributed to his brashness. You knocked him down a number of pegs with the clipping and he is clearly feeling it. He’s a dramatic little dude. They are bitey birds, there’s no question about that and he is definitely possessive of you. I confess I am out of ideas. Like, completely out of ideas.

I’m not sure how to go about rehoming. Thankfully, it is not something I have had to deal with. I think your efforts will help you to show your granddaughter that you are not “giving up” and I would reinforce to her that it is also for Rio’s well-being that you have to find him a more productive environment. I think it’s important to make it clear to her that you are not “abandoning” him (like just letting him out a window) but that you are going to try to find him a home where he can be happy. I believe that of you, Kitty. I don’t believe you are just giving up. Sometimes life hurts. I am sure you would prefer not to be dealing with your medical issues and that you are trying to balance both your and his needs is commendable. It comes from a kind place. And so does this. We don’t judge, we just help in whatever way we can.
As I am reading your always kind words, my friend to the North, Rio marched up to my hand and took a chunk out of it. It seems if he does not have my full attention, it is not good enough.
I did have an old mirror from an old cage, I put it up and he paid absolutely NO attention to it. I even placed it by his favorite perch! Sigh!!!
Either way I try this, it just isn't working. If I keep him in his cage longer it makes no difference other than less bite marks on my hands. But then I feel guilty keeping him in there too long. It is definitely a "no win" situation.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, he still pulls out his feathers, so he still is partially bald! I believe this is more than I can handle! Something is a bit off with him.
I suppose I should read up on how to rehome a feathered friend.
Speaking with you and everyone on this forum has been a Godsend! I don't know what I would have done without the ideas and encouragement I've received.
I'll keep you posted!
K

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
As I am reading your always kind words, my friend to the North, Rio marched up to my hand and took a chunk out of it. It seems if he does not have my full attention, it is not good enough.
I did have an old mirror from an old cage, I put it up and he paid absolutely NO attention to it. I even placed it by his favorite perch! Sigh!!!
Either way I try this, it just isn't working. If I keep him in his cage longer it makes no difference other than less bite marks on my hands. But then I feel guilty keeping him in there too long. It is definitely a "no win" situation.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, he still pulls out his feathers, so he still is partially bald! I believe this is more than I can handle! Something is a bit off with him.
I suppose I should read up on how to rehome a feathered friend.
Speaking with you and everyone on this forum has been a Godsend! I don't know what I would have done without the ideas and encouragement I've received.
I'll keep you posted!
K
I think you just have to have a certain amount of energy and focus to be able to deal with these behavioural issues and with your own health issues, that is an even bigger commitment. I have no doubt you wish it could be different. I am sure there is a lot of rehoming info on the forum already and other members in the US may be able to help as well. I will keep my eyes open for your updates. I hope with all my heart that this resolved quickly and well for both him and you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think you just have to have a certain amount of energy and focus to be able to deal with these behavioural issues and with your own health issues, that is an even bigger commitment. I have no doubt you wish it could be different. I am sure there is a lot of rehoming info on the forum already and other members in the US may be able to help as well. I will keep my eyes open for your updates. I hope with all my heart that this resolved quickly and well for both him and you.
My friend to the North, as always, thank you!!! It's such a pity, I've had appointments all week, and it's very endearing when I put the key in the lock Rio thinks I may be coming home abs starts chirping. It's a shame he can be such a jerk at the same time!
And thank you for not being offended by my referring to you as "my friend to the North". After all, you are North of New Jersey and I hope as well, a new friend! Kitty

21 - 23 of 23 Posts