Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a TERRIBLE experience at the Bird Store, I spoke with the owner and they had me come in yesterday. BTW, they were appalled by how Rio and I were treated by one of their employees.
I was telling them about how badly Rio was behaving. So they then gave me a lesson in calming him down! They taught me how to hold him with my fingers not in immediate bite range and keep him in a "hoodie" pocket! I was able to do it!!!! He calmly sat in my pocket (they lent me a sweatshirt to try to do it) while I was able to pet him on his head with my thumb! They told me he will soon not put up a struggle at all! Hopefully he stops the fight taking him out of the cage!
They also told me not to let him sit on my shoulder, to keep him lower, someone on this thread may have told me that as well, but I didn't remember it!
So, we are now going to try all the new things I've learned and see if he can go back to his old self! The Rio before the hormones and perhaps the terrible twos hitting at the same time!
I'll check in again soon!
Thanks for caring!

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
After a TERRIBLE experience at the Bird Store, I spoke with the owner and they had me come in yesterday. BTW, they were appalled by how Rio and I were treated by one of their employees.
I was telling them about how badly Rio was behaving. So they then gave me a lesson in calming him down! They taught me how to hold him with my fingers not in immediate bite range and keep him in a "hoodie" pocket! I was able to do it!!!! He calmly sat in my pocket (they lent me a sweatshirt to try to do it) while I was able to pet him on his head with my thumb! They told me he will soon not put up a struggle at all! Hopefully he stops the fight taking him out of the cage!
They also told me not to let him sit on my shoulder, to keep him lower, someone on this thread may have told me that as well, but I didn't remember it!
So, we are now going to try all the new things I've learned and see if he can go back to his old self! The Rio before the hormones and perhaps the terrible twos hitting at the same time!
Thanks for caring!
Hopefully things will get better now that Rio and you are having a different discussion. Things to remember. Cages are where birds belong. That is why we recommend big ones so they can have plenty of room to move around. Out of cage time is a privilege. Time on you is a privilege. Shoulders are a privilege. Heads are a privilege. All privileges are subject to good behavior. Rio is a bit of a brat, I know mine is also. I notice that when my guy gets to out of control he goes back in his cage for a while (hours or a day) that he seems to have a different attitude when he gets out. Our little guys are very smart, they do learn and they have attitude so they like to push. We let them push because we love them but still they are like little children and need to be treated as such so they are good little children.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully things will get better now that Rio and you are having a different discussion. Things to remember. Cages are where birds belong. That is why we recommend big ones so they can have plenty of room to move around. Out of cage time is a privilege. Time on you is a privilege. Shoulders are a privilege. Heads are a privilege. All privileges are subject to good behavior. Rio is a bit of a brat, I know mine is also. I notice that when my guy gets to out of control he goes back in his cage for a while (hours or a day) that he seems to have a different attitude when he gets out. Our little guys are very smart, they do learn and they have attitude so they like to push. We let them push because we love them but still they are like little children and need to be treated as such so they are good little children.
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try to keep them away from his beak! If I may ask, how many hours a day do you keep your Rio out of his cage, when he is behaving?

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try to keep them away from his beak! If I may ask, how many hours a day do you keep your Rio out of his cage, when he is behaving?
When he is behaving and we are home and doing Rio safe stuff like working our remote jobs then he is pretty much out from about 10am to 7pm.
When he acts up we will put up with it a bit then cage him. If I am working remote then he can see me while caged. With my wife he can hear her in other room. It was getting bad before we went on vacation and for about two days afterward then overnight he had a new attitude and has been much better. I suspect that he thought it through and something clicked in his little birdy head. I guess my point is that cage time is not a punishment it is the norm. Anything other is privileges earned by good behavior.

Reactions: aanyka

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When he is behaving and we are home and doing Rio safe stuff like working our remote jobs then he is pretty much out from about 10am to 7pm.
When he acts up we will put up with it a bit then cage him. If I am working remote then he can see me while caged. With my wife he can hear her in other room. It was getting bad before we went on vacation and for about two days afterward then overnight he had a new attitude and has been much better. I suspect that he thought it through and something clicked in his little birdy head. I guess my point is that cage time is not a punishment it is the norm. Anything other is privileges earned by good behavior.
Ah... ok, I basically keep my Rio out of the cage, unless I am not feeling well. Even with that, I have a spot in my room for him when I need to lie low. So he is almost always in full view!
I think he really needed to have his wings clipped... it would not be my preferred way to keep him, but for now, I am at least a bit calmer!
I'm glad to read that your Rio has gone back to his good behavior!
I'll keep posting!
Thanks Ozzie...K

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Ah... ok, I basically keep my Rio out of the cage, unless I am not feeling well. Even with that, I have a spot in my room for him when I need to lie low. So he is almost always in full view!
I think he really needed to have his wings clipped... it would not be my preferred way to keep him, but for now, I am at least a bit calmer!
I'm glad to read that your Rio has gone back to his good behavior!
I'll keep posting!
Thanks Ozzie...K
I think there is a certain value in absence and hands off. Our Rio seems a bit nicer after a bit of alone time to think things over. Lets him know how good he has it when the flock is home. :):) Our Rio is bound to both of us. So like yesterday, I was in one room taking a nap and my wife was in the other doing the same. Rio flew back and forth to have time with both then decided to make a racket until we got in the same room we could all dose in. :):):)

Reactions: aanyka

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there is a certain value in absence and hands off. Our Rio seems a bit nicer after a bit of alone time to think things over. Lets him know how good he has it when the flock is home. :):) Our Rio is bound to both of us. So like yesterday, I was in one room taking a nap and my wife was in the other doing the same. Rio flew back and forth to have time with both then decided to make a racket until we got in the same room we could all dose in. :):):)
I am always amazed how smart my pets are! They know exactly what they want and when! Rio is proving to do the same, he just doesn't know what I want and expect yet!

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
My friend to the South - this is such joyful news! I am glad you got things sorted out with the pet store and that abysmal treatment of you and Rio. I hope they have a good discussion with their employee and make sure she is representing the store’s values, which after your last experience with them, seem to be excellent. It is always so important to give owners and managers an opportunity to know what happened and a chance to fix the problem. Those that avail themselves of the opportunity deserve your patronage. Those that don’t … well there are plenty of other businesses out there.

Any progress is good progress and we will definitely celebrate this one with you and Rio! Bravo to both of you! I am so happy the store owners were able to provide you with some hands-on help. It is so much better when they can see the behaviour and tutor you as you implement some of the strategies. They sound really great. I had not thought at all about the shoulders giving them status. That’s an excellent point and one we should remember when helping other members with rambunctious birds. Thank you for sharing that with us!

I wanted to jump into your discussion with Ozzie to note that Kiwi has never had a full day out of her cage, even when I was working from home and now that I am retired. Being home more often allows me to take her out more, but I have never really just let her do her thing out of her cage. I think it’s awesome that people can do that but she would never be off of me. I now have her out for about an hour in the morning before her breakfast, and hour or so around lunch and then a couple of hours in the evening - but it varies. I am not entirely convinced they understand the connection between cage time and behaviour (not entirely unconvinced either) but I know that I have needed to give Kiwi time-outs for my own sake when she has been a nightmare. It gives us both a chance to settle down and start the next out time in a calm place. She doesn’t usually misbehave much now but her clingy-ness means she has to go into her cage when I am doing things.

I am really happy to hear you are having some good moments with Rio and are feeling positive. You’re right - fingers crossed and not bitten! We will take these good moments.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend to the South - this is such joyful news! I am glad you got things sorted out with the pet store and that abysmal treatment of you and Rio. I hope they have a good discussion with their employee and make sure she is representing the store’s values, which after your last experience with them, seem to be excellent. It is always so important to give owners and managers an opportunity to know what happened and a chance to fix the problem. Those that avail themselves of the opportunity deserve your patronage. Those that don’t … well there are plenty of other businesses out there.

Any progress is good progress and we will definitely celebrate this one with you and Rio! Bravo to both of you! I am so happy the store owners were able to provide you with some hands-on help. It is so much better when they can see the behaviour and tutor you as you implement some of the strategies. They sound really great. I had not thought at all about the shoulders giving them status. That’s an excellent point and one we should remember when helping other members with rambunctious birds. Thank you for sharing that with us!

I wanted to jump into your discussion with Ozzie to note that Kiwi has never had a full day out of her cage, even when I was working from home and now that I am retired. Being home more often allows me to take her out more, but I have never really just let her do her thing out of her cage. I think it’s awesome that people can do that but she would never be off of me. I now have her out for about an hour in the morning before her breakfast, and hour or so around lunch and then a couple of hours in the evening - but it varies. I am not entirely convinced they understand the connection between cage time and behaviour (not entirely unconvinced either) but I know that I have needed to give Kiwi time-outs for my own sake when she has been a nightmare. It gives us both a chance to settle down and start the next out time in a calm place. She doesn’t usually misbehave much now but her clingy-ness means she has to go into her cage when I am doing things.

I am really happy to hear you are having some good moments with Rio and are feeling positive. You’re right - fingers crossed and not bitten! We will take these good moments.
Oh, my friend to the North, it really helped having been shown the hands-on way to do things... not that I am all that brave! But, with the help of the bird store (not the gal that was of NO help to me the other day) and this group I am a little more optomistic. I am happy to have found you all.! If it was not for you all I, perhaps, would have given up on Rio sooner.
It also helps to know that I do not need to keep him out of his cage all day! I don't think I trust him enough to leave him up to his own devices if I should fall asleep.
I will see how this works, but if he eats a hole in my only hoodie, I may not be happy!!!
Thanks...Kitty

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
You might need a second hoodie, because chewing holes in fabric is a parrotlet specialty!

Tumi is not allowed on my shoulder regularly because he will not voluntarily leave my shoulder. I can force him off my arm or knee if necessary but getting him off my shoulder can be tough. He also tends to let me know that something is "scary" by biting my neck when he has shoulder time, so we avoid that. (Scary items include my laundry room, hangers, anything bright, and just about anything whether he has seen it before or not)!

I am glad that you had forward progress and a plan.

Tumi as well is not unlimited in his out of cage time. Sometimes he is just a jerk - then he normally needs to go back to him cage and bully something around like a bell or a plastic bottle. Parrotlets often seem to need to let their aggression out on something, or get over excited by ordinary sounds like plastic crinkling or water running. When they are overly excited, even the most "trained" parrotlet can forget beak manners and bite.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might need a second hoodie, because chewing holes in fabric is a parrotlet specialty!

Tumi is not allowed on my shoulder regularly because he will not voluntarily leave my shoulder. I can force him off my arm or knee if necessary but getting him off my shoulder can be tough. He also tends to let me know that something is "scary" by biting my neck when he has shoulder time, so we avoid that. (Scary items include my laundry room, hangers, anything bright, and just about anything whether he has seen it before or not)!

I am glad that you had forward progress and a plan.

Tumi as well is not unlimited in his out of cage time. Sometimes he is just a jerk - then he normally needs to go back to him cage and bully something around like a bell or a plastic bottle. Parrotlets often seem to need to let their aggression out on something, or get over excited by ordinary sounds like plastic crinkling or water running. When they are overly excited, even the most "trained" parrotlet can forget beak manners and bite.
Thank you Dana, actually while I was typing my previous responses, Rio was busy making a hole in my shirt, I did not catch it because I was so busy typing! I try giving him other things to "chomp" on, but he is good a finding stray strings!
I had been wondering why he always goes nuts when I turn the faucet on, you have explained that! Ha...
I also must assume that Rio sometimes thinks I am as much a jerk as he is! Usually out of total frustration. I'm hoping to try to keep him calmer which will help keep me a little more sane!...Kitty

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It must be so lovely to be having such a calm and contented moment with Rio in your pocket like that. It must remind you of the good old days with him. I am so happy for you. Maybe this is the turning point. I would loved to have seen a picture of you in the store with him in your pocket. It was such a special moment. Well, I have my fingers crossed for you and Rio! Great that the owner of the store righted the wrong and actually helped you out so much. I am sure it has restored your faith some. Keep us updated. We all care about how you and Rio are doing! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It must be so lovely to be having such a calm and contented moment with Rio in your pocket like that. It must remind you of the good old days with him. I am so happy for you. Maybe this is the turning point. I would loved to have seen a picture of you in the store with him in your pocket. It was such a special moment. Well, I have my fingers crossed for you and Rio! Great that the owner of the store righted the wrong and actually helped you out so much. I am sure it has restored your faith some. Keep us updated. We all care about how you and Rio are doing! :)
Anya, such kind words.... I am sure the look on my face was total shock!!!
But, all in all, we had a much calmer day today. I'm still not brave enough to put my hands on his cage, so I let him climb out and sit on top of the cage before I try to pick him up. That worked today! No blood was drawn!
The bird store manager, indeed, was a big help! The owner of the shop was not there yesterday, but he did call me this morning and I explained it all....I told him that we purchased our first bird from his grandfather in 1963 for my younger sister and that I did not want to give up on them easily. That this gal needed a course in customer service and gratitude! Probably attitude also!
I would not want to be the cause of anyone getting fired, but, if anyone deserved it, she did! I'm curious to see what he does!
Thanks for the encouragement...Kitty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for caring!
[/QUOT
So glad to hear you found something to help. :)

Can someone please share this "hoodie pocket" technique or is it listed on the forum somewhere? Others could find it helpful. Plus bird in pocket...how adorable. :love:

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts

Can someone please share this "hoodie pocket" technique or is it listed on the forum somewhere? Others could find it helpful. Plus bird in pocket...how adorable. :love:
Will get back to you on this. And yes, unbelievably adorable!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ha, they did tell me not to "forget" when he's in there! And to watch for holes he makes, cause he will try to fly out of them if they are large enough! I am not quite good enough at it yet as advise on the technique, I'm still in the "scared to death" stage! But, I will say he does not fuss or fight me at all when he's in there. They told me it's easier with a tradituonal hoodie because you can switch hands easier and have a bit more room.
It might be a help to have it on the forum, good idea!...Kitty

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a love bird who loved to run in and out of my hoodie pocket. I would wiggle my fingers and it would run over and dive in it was so cute.
Too fun! I only wish Rio could go back to his pre-satanic version!
Enjoy every minute!!! Thank you!
So how are we doing? Is the new clip working for you guys?
I have been "radio silent", but still able to read the comments! I cannot tell you what it means to me to have so much support.
I thought we might have gotten over a big hurdle, but it was very short- lived!
Rio does NOTHING, and I cannot express the word NOTHING strong enough, except sit somewhere on me.
He no longer takes little dips in his pools; eats anything other than what is put on his food bowl... not even his favorite fruits and veggies; he no longer readily goes into my hoodie, he only squirms around trying to bite me.
He has managed to figure out how to get to me without being able to fly and he just sits and if he gets annoying and I try to shoo him away, he bites. Heaven forbid I try to get up, as soon as I put my hands on the chair or sofa to rise, he bites, and bites hard! It is hard to not have any reaction when he is chomping down on my fingers.
The only way I can now control him, and that's limited control... like getting him back in his cage... is to show him a large black TV remote, he is deathly afraid of it!?!
I am now at a loss. I thought when I was showed how to put him in my hoodie, along with the clipping, things would get better.
He is perfectly healthy, he just needs to be on me, regurgitating ALL the time. Nothing else pleases him, not even a juicy piece of watermelon.
The only suggestion I have not tried is a mirror, which I will find one today and give it a shot.
The only thing that he does that is funnier than heck when I step off the elevator He thinks it could possibly be me and he starts chirping away!
I am just about maxed...I do not want to be alone, I thought Rio and I would live out our "golden years" together, however, with a new medical issue on my plate, I am not sure I can manage him.
I also do a lot of sewing and artwork, which is also impossible to do when he is out of his cage, because any attention taken from him is not tolerated, he just screams! He also sees it as personal if I leave the room and he carries on even louder!
I am willing to try any other suggestions, if none help improve the situation, I will need to re-home him. I don't know the first steps in that process.
Thank you for your continued suggestions and help. Anything I can come up with to save this relationship I will try. As I may have mentioned, I don't want to show my Granddaughter that it's OK to give up on something when it gets hard.
Thank you!!!! Kitty

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Well my friend to the South, you sure are giving it an impressive shot. I am not super surprised that the clipping has had such an effect on him. He was extremely dominant and being able to fly likely contributed to his brashness. You knocked him down a number of pegs with the clipping and he is clearly feeling it. He’s a dramatic little dude. They are bitey birds, there’s no question about that and he is definitely possessive of you. I confess I am out of ideas. Like, completely out of ideas.

I’m not sure how to go about rehoming. Thankfully, it is not something I have had to deal with. I think your efforts will help you to show your granddaughter that you are not “giving up” and I would reinforce to her that it is also for Rio’s well-being that you have to find him a more productive environment. I think it’s important to make it clear to her that you are not “abandoning” him (like just letting him out a window) but that you are going to try to find him a home where he can be happy. I believe that of you, Kitty. I don’t believe you are just giving up. Sometimes life hurts. I am sure you would prefer not to be dealing with your medical issues and that you are trying to balance both your and his needs is commendable. It comes from a kind place. And so does this. We don’t judge, we just help in whatever way we can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts