Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new around here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong topic section.
I have a little parrotlet, she was born March 21st. I handfed her and everything.
She took a little while to develop feathers compared to the other babies but she did... until, her right side of her face didn't grow feathers.
At first I thought they'd grow, but they didn't grow, and it's been looking like it's spreading. :(

Eretreya loves her millet, chop and birdie bread more than seed.

Picture from yesterday:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't know what would cause this, unless she's still in with other birds and they're overpreening her? If that's the case, I would separate them. If not, I would definitely get her to an avian vet asap. She's a pretty girl, even missing some feathers! Best wishes to you and her.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow. Looks like a duck I had a few years ago. Out of simple curiosity, have you noticed her walking funny, or having any trouble with balance? My duck, who had a bald patch around her one eye would sometimes walk like she was drunk.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
First of all, I clicked onto your picture and got a full screen bird! I do not know why it did this, but I was able to see up close. In fact, her head took up my whole monitor! It was weird. Somebody else please do this and let me know what happens! Just left click on the picture.

Pedro, I didn't see any mites. If the problem is a diet, it would effect the whole bird, I would think.

Eretreya is a beautiful bird! I can see her ear. You said she had trouble getting her feather's to develop. It may be genetic. A recessive gene? Maybe over breeding? But I do know you must take her to the vet as soon as possible, if you can.

I would try to get her to eat a seed mix for small hook bill birds or a Cockatiel seed mix.

David and Ricochet:cool:;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! She's alone in a cage full of toys she loves and is still learning about them. She doesn't walk funny, nothing is really wrong with her, sometimes she might be a little puffy but I think it's because she gets tired and wants to sleep.
Before I take her to the vet, I'm gonna ask the lab to do some work and see if there's anything wrong with her, all there is, is just a bald spot and it's so weird, because if there was a disease or something, I'd expect redness, and difference on her activities.
I might switch her seed cause it's the only thing she doesn't eat a lot of.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! She's alone in a cage full of toys she loves and is still learning about them. She doesn't walk funny, nothing is really wrong with her, sometimes she might be a little puffy but I think it's because she gets tired and wants to sleep.
Before I take her to the vet, I'm gonna ask the lab to do some work and see if there's anything wrong with her, all there is, is just a bald spot and it's so weird, because if there was a disease or something, I'd expect redness, and difference on her activities.
I might switch her seed cause it's the only thing she doesn't eat a lot of.

Thanks guys!
What kind of Lab? I would have a vet look at her.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a place roughly 1h20mins from me that runs bird tests, they also have a decent amount of birds, and do everything else about them. I'll run her to the vet but first I wanna see what this tests come out about. It's odd, cause she's so active, loving, makes the happiest sounds when eating...

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
They are the best pet to cheer you up. Highly intelligent, too. Just a reminder, with a female, be very careful NOT to rub or scritch (scratch) her below the neck, on the wings or tail, etc.
This will definitely cause her hormones to rev up. You will not be happy. She is only 3 months old and soon she will be getting close to her terrible twos ( around 4-6 months of age). Makes are affected more than the females, but they will go through a puberty and can/will get a bit feisty.
Be patient with her because she will get better in 5-6 weeks. For hens, keep a close eye out on her vent ( bottom). If it bulges out, then she may be ready to lay an egg or two or more. If she sits on the bottom of her cage, then she has eggs in her. If the bulge gets too big and she hasn't laid an egg yet, then she could be egg bound.
This will kill her and it is a terrible death.
She does not need a male around to carry eggs. If you play a lot with her, she could become egg laden, because you will be her mate.
I do not know what you know about birds, so if I am telling you things you already know, please excuse me!:confused:.

David and Ricochet:cool:;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh you're totally fine and thank you! I did not know that scratchy part, now that I do, I will stay away from that. Also the puberty part was refreshing, thank you! I know she could get egg bound so I'm gonna look out for that. I know how she acts and where she stays around the cage the most, so hopefully it's not difficult.
This birds are truly special.
Thank you so much! All the best to you and Ricochet!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would take her to a qualified avian vet over a lab. Diagnosis can require more than lab tests and if you're talking blood, blood draws with these little ones can be tricky. And there may not be anything systemic going on. So take her to an avian vet whose specialty it is to diagnose and treat captive birds.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Hoping for an update, she's a real cutie I'm sorry you are have Ng to worry about this. I'm very curious what vet says.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts