Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...long time no see. sorry.

I have a mega decision to make about my little buddy Froot Loop, and I would really like to hear what y'all think about it.

He has been living with me and my parents since I got him in March of this year. I just made a final decision to move out to a townhouse by my university with a couple friends of mine. It's a pretty small place, and I will even be sharing my bedroom with another girl. My decision is whether to take him with me or not....

He doesn't make any sound at night, so he wouldn't keep the other girls up, but he does cheep and tweet pretty much all day long. There is just no way my roommates would be able to escape the birdie noises, which can be quite loud at points. They have said he could come, because they are incredibly nice, but I don't think they realize how much noise he can make....studying is sometimes impossible for me to do at my current house with him in the room with me or anywhere near me. With 3 of us trying to study....it just doesn't seem like it will work.

Also, my dad has become quite fond of little Froot, and wants to keep him. My dad gets to stay home several days out of the week, so he keeps telling me that Froot will get a lot more attention by staying at home; where as I will be gone most of the day for school, work, and campus activities.

I asked my dad if I could just leave him at home for a year (that's when my lease runs up), and then get him back....but my dad said he doesn't think it would be fair for himself or for Froot. (B/c he would be attached to Froot, and vice versa.)

So I have NO clue what to do. I don't want to give up my bird forever b/c of a one year situation....once I am out permanently in a non-roommate situation, I want to be able to have him for the rest of his life.

What do y'all think? I really appreciate any input you can give. I want to do what's best for Froot Loop while also being considerate of other people. Thanks in advance, spasticat

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats a tough one Spasticat - I can sure see your dilemma. Its not an easy one.

My opinion is to do what is best for Froot Loop - I do not think I could study in the same room as my P'lets - although they aren't as noisy as their older cousins, we all know they can be loud in their own right and studying would be next to impossible when they are being their cheery little selves. I think putting him in that situation were your roommates could become agitated with him wouldn't be right - to him or to them.

Your education is the most important thing you can do in your life so you have to go and although you love Froot Loop I think the best thing you could do is to leave him or for that matter give him to your Dad. You are actually very lucky your Father is willing to take him - could you imagine your dilemma if he wasn't willing to - PHEW :eek:

Not that this is the same thing but people give up their children for adoption because they know the adoptive parents can provide a better life for their children - you have a decision to make about giving Froot Loop to your Dad - he can become your little brother instead of your child :)

Anyway thats my two cents - but the decision you make will be right for you no matter what your decide. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

If you do leave him with your Dad be sure to let your Dad know about this site.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I would leave him with the folks. You don't want him to drive your room mates crazy along with yourself. You'll be under enough stress and he will only add to it from what it sounds like.

It's not like you can't go visit him when you ahve free time! Just be happy he has somewhere to go that you know he will be happy and healthy!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I also think you should leave him with your folks. He is used to that house. And it's a good thing he's got a relationsip with your dad. Otherwise, it would be a tougher decision.

catfish is completely right!

At your parent's house, his noise isn't unwanted as much, and at your new place with your friends, he might get yelled at or asked to "shut up" when chirping. But, you said your friends are nice.
;);)

I think that's best, but it's all about what Froot Loop wants.
:):):):)

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Your a good person to consider Foot Loop. Your young and wanna study AND have fun and what if one of your friends , not meaning any harm let one of their friends mess with Foot Loop...you would just die. He will be safe and sound with your Dad. You can study and not have to worry about him. I don't want to say that I don't trust anyone around Bitsey Jo but really that is exactly what I mean. Ask Kathy about Nemo and her sisters friends.....things happen no matter how careful you are. If people don't inderstand birds then you will have a problem on your hands and he will be the one who suffers. Let him stay with your Dad...he will be fine.
LSU...LSU....go get us a degree sha !!!!!!!
If something happens where your Dad can't babysit. I will keep him for you I'm just down the road all you have to do is ask.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Spasticat,

I would have to agree with everyone else - I truly believe it would be in both your and Froot Loop's best interest to let your dad have him. Several reasons.

1) The noise level.

I think I would be the FIRST one on here to say that yes!! they are very noisy at times (at least the boys are, from what I've heard). My boyfriend and I live in a 2-bedroom suite and it's very spacious but even so, to get some peaceful quiet study time, I have to retreat to the furthest room from the living room (and even then, I hear him quite clearly). My boyfriend isn't so lucky - his desk is in the living room and he complains a LOT to me about the chirping. He usually just tunes it out with the help of music + ear phones. But keep in mind that a lot of people can't study with music going in their ears and I just don't see every single one of your roommates be willing to do this for Froot Loop.

2) The risk of being on bad terms with your roomies.

Assuming that you'll be renting the townhouse with the other girls..
Sometimes living together makes things difficult for everyone. Even the smallest things can irritate someone. If the girls get annoyed enough, you'll be stuck living with people who won't be so...nice...to you.

3) And the most important reason is the safety of Froot Loop.

I honestly cannot trust anyone with my pets. Some people are just not very smart and/or ignorant when it comes to animals. I've heard plenty of stories about people harming their roommates' pets and so forth. Not saying that your roomies will do the same, but you can't control who will be entering and leaving the house, especially when you won't be around 24/7. One of them might decide to throw a party or get-together and invite people over. One of their friends might decide it's fun to tease your bird or feed him, etc. Heck, I can't even trust any of the people *I* know now around my pets because of what happened recently, so I'd fear for their lives and be paranoid everytime I step out of the house.

Those are my reasonings behind why I would choose to have your dad keep Froot Loop.

Hope this helps!

- Kathy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was going to chime in here but I think the question has been quite thoroughly answered!

Spasticat,

Intorduce your dad to this site :D ;) . We'd love tio meet him :) .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I too don't trust ANYONE alone with my bird. Well... I don't really trust most people at all, I'm a private person. You couldn't guess that from here, but I really am.

Out of all my friends, only 3 have been invited into my living space. My living space is where I go to relax and spend time with my animals. If I want to spend time with a person, it's not going to be in my living space. The only thing else I'm protective of (besides the living space) is my cell phone number.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ahha! NOBODY touches Oscar! lol.
I had the worst experience possible:
My father and his friend, and her 3 year old son, with no manners, and one of the worst kids EVER, stayed at my house for the day.
I was at work.
Well this kid took it upon himself to let Oscar out to "fly".....:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

I came home and Oscar wasn't in the cage...
I asked the kid, and he said he put him outside. By this time, I don't think there was one child-appropriate word that came out of my mouth, let alone even come across my mind.

Luckily, Oscar decided the kid should live, and chirped.
That told me he was in the house.
ugh!
20 minutes of searching, and hes practically inside of a printer under the bed of another room.

How this happened, I do not know.

I immediately bought a lock for all the cage doors....bla bla bla.

So that was the scariest experience with Oscar.
__
Also, I would think that maybe Froot Loop would be loud and annoying, and your friends might not be so nice with you not around, and maybe bang or shake his cage, and things like that. If you're over protective, like me and I guess catfish, you would definately leave it with your dad.
:):)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies...

Well y'all said exactly what I didn't want to hear, but also exactly what I was expecting to hear. :(

I gave what y'all said a lot of thought, and a couple issues came up that I hadn't even considered before....1) While my roommates can be 'trained' per se to handle froot loop, with our being active members of a campus ministry, we anticipate having people over to the apt. a lot....and not that any of them would EVER intentionally try to hurt him, but like y'all said: if people don't understand birds, especially these tiny guys, it can lead to some bad situations. And they are cute and interesting looking, so people are going to want to take him out and pet him, and lord knows he has an attitude....so what if (well, when) he bit someone, they freaked out and he got thrown to the floor or something....that would be terrible! 2) Like I said, it is a small place...and we ALL know these guys need their beauty sleep; college students don't usually get much of that, and in such a small place, I wouldn't be able to get him away from OUR noise to be able to get enough sleep. :eek:

So, wow this 'quick reply' turned out long, but sorry I'm a talker....
So I'm going to leave him with my parents. While I'm super super sad to lose my friend that I thought I would have for years to come, my dad is happy, and I'm sure Froot will be too. And others' happiness is far more important than mine.

I told my dad he could have him on 3 conditions: 1) he doesn't try to rename him ;) 2) He moves him to a busier area of the house (because he is in my bedroom now) and 3) he joins this website ;)

So, I guess like Pado said, Froot will just be my little brother from now on instead of my little boy. :rolleyes: Oh and memmey, thanks so much for your babysitting offer...you're just great! :D (Oh and Geaux Tigers)

Thanks for everything you guys, I will come back and visit, and my dad will be here....I'll tell him to intro himself as 'spasticat and froot loop's dad'. :D

Thanks and much love, spasticat

·
Registered
835 Posts
*L* You gave your dad good conditions! I expect to see him here!

I have found with a lot of parents (I am guessing you and I are around the same age) they tend to find a happy medium for care and don't go out of their way to make improvements. There is always so much to learn and so many ways we can improve our companion's lives.

I can't remember, has your Dad any previous experience with parrots?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andrea, other than Froot, I don't think my dad has owned any birds, but I know he had friends that owned them, b/c he was giving me advice when I got Froot. As I have learned though, I have been telling him pretty much everything I know, so we should be about on the same level. He is definitely a 'pet person'....in the past he raised guinea pigs, dogs, cats, fresh and salt water fish, and goodness knows what else. He is very into spoiling his animal friends, and is always looking for new things to learn and ways to keep them healthy and happy. I am quite confident he will do a great job :)

Great idea, nar! thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts