Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I haven't been on this forum for quite some time. Some of you may remember I had a green male parrotlet, Greenie, that I "rescued" and had trouble with him allowing me to pet him in any way. Well Greenie is doing fine. Things are pretty much the same as far as that's concerned but I've come to grips with the fact that he'll probably never be a petting sort of guy, so that's ok. I love him dearly anyway. He still likes to ride around with me on my shoulder.
NOw, sunday I came home with a beautiful 9 week old baby blue pacific that I purchased from a wonderful breeder here in the area. Angel really seems like she's going to have a great personality too! So, because I don't want to screw this up, I'm wondering how my approach should be.
Do I let her get used to me first by just keeping my finger/hand in her cage and letting HER decide when to come on or do I take her out (which requires some chasing) and have her get "used" to me outside the cage? I've actually done that a couple of times. Angel does pretty well when she's out of her cage. She even picked up on the whole "step up" thing right away. She nuzzels with me and will, most of the time, let me pet her. Angel even managed to fall asleep in my half closed hand last night. She was pooped, I'm sure.
But I want her to eventually be able to step up onto my finger from inside the cage and be taken out WILLINGLY so it doesn't feel like I'm forcing her to be my friend. And eventually be pet with out fear nips first too.
Just looking for some advice for these beginning phases. Thanks everyone!!
Sophie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try a stick perch first

When we first brought home our little guy, he was very hand shy (the breeder was overly-grabby with him), but he would readily step up onto a dowel perch or slim branch.

We used this method for quite a while, slowly inching our hand further down the stick until we were right at the end, and then he stepped up onto our hands without incident.

Skyler is not a cuddly little boy either, will not permit petting or skritches, but we've learned to accept this. However, because we have been patient and gentle with him, we can easily towel him to trim his flights and his toenails without upsetting him. He stills bites the towel, but not us. :D
I like to think that he understands that we are only handling him this way for his own good, and we are not being mean.

Gentleness and kindness go a long way.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Never chase or do anything to compromise the trust. Search for the clicker training post. It's all about positive reinforcement, you never have to do anything that scares them or sets back any trust that might be developing.

You have to make it fun for her, give her treats for every good/desired action.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts