Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting on the couch, Emmy's (the Parrotlet that I picked up on Friday) cage sitting on the table in front of me. Next thing I know, she falls off the perch and lays there on the bottom of the cage. I went and picked her up. She looked dead. Eyes closed, neck limp, body cold. I put her little beak in my mouth and blew!!! She opened her eys but just to slits. I ran to where I keep her food, and thank goodness I had some of the powder formula left from a couple weeks ago. I made it, warmed it ran for the french cathedar and started getting warm food into her.
I had to force it at first, but after the first couple times she opened her mouth a bit. During this time I went and told my husband that she was dying but I wanted to keep her warm, loved and comfortable until she did.
I put her in my shirt, over my heart and held my had cupped over her for about an hour. I could feel her warming up. I got her out to check on her and her eyes were wide open. I went to heat up the formula again and started feeding her, thinking I would have to force it. I held the cathedar to her beak and she started angrily cheeping at me until I got more into her.
THEN SHE POOPED ON MY SHIRT!!!! WOOOHOOOOO! :D I figure that's a good sign.
I put her back in my shirt and layed on the couch for another hour, checked her out again and all was well.
She's now back in her cage, in a fleece pouch over a LOW heating pad. I've been checking on her every 15 minutes.
I know this isn't over yet but atleast I have some hope now.
I forgot to say, she was weened for a week before I got her. All she's been eating for me though is millet.
Wish me/us luck. I'm afraid of losing her.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Be careful blowing into her mouth b/c our mouths are filled with bacteria. But if she isn't breathing, you really have no choice. Just make sure... you don't want to add to her problems. Her immune system is weaker since she is younger and even worse off since she is not feeling good... just trying to be helpful

I've read in other places a heating bulb is better then a heating pad, you may want to look into that tomorrow... especially if she is cold to the touch. Young birds also don't have the best sense of balance, so make sure the perches are kept low to the ground so when they do fall, it doesn't hurt them.

I would recommend that you take her into an ER vet if they take care of birds to have her double checked... if anything, take her to your avian vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The coffee's already brewing Nar.
I've been saying that she hasn't been eating, except for millet, and I hadn't seen her drink.
I'm just going to keep going with the formula for a few days until she doesn't want it anymore. I'll keep millet in her cage at all times like I have been.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Like they said, you definately need to see an avian vet first thing tomorrow. Also, if problems worsen through the night, you need to get her to an ER.

You should check now where a local one is, or the closest one. And maybe call them and let them know you might have to come in tonight, or maybe even go before the problems worsen.

Definately continue the formula for now. You have experience handfeeding, correct??

·
Registered
835 Posts
If she is not eating enough and not handfeeding, she will have to be tube fed - this is NOT for the inexperienced hand feeder as it can go terribly wrong. What did the droppings look like? She could also be getting dehydrated, which depending on how badly dehydrated could call for supportive fluid therapy (subcu. fluids) This really has me worried...

·
Registered
835 Posts
There is a very good chance that on a heating pad you will overheat the juvenille and dehydrate her even more. Are you using a digital thermometer right where she lies on the pad??? This can cause major complications. Even if she has a bit of millet or some other food in her, the heat will draw out all of the moisture and she could wind up with an impacted crop, infections, etc, etc.

Not to be offensive to you Paula, you are doing the best within your means I know that you are, but I really wish it were outlawed to sell unweaned babies - and even to the extend to wish that hand raising was even banned in the states.... :(

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You really want to get her into the vet before she gets worse....

In my 7 years working for vets, and the 4 years at an ER hosp.... when a bird comes in barely responsive and cold, it's most likely going to lead to tears...

Getting them in at the first sign of illness is their best chance. Because at this point they are already pretty bad off. I really can't stress it enough, call your local ER vets and see if they can see a bird... if that is not possible get her in to your normal avian vet ASAP.

·
Registered
835 Posts
http://www.abvp.com/find_results.as...e=&practice=&practiceType=Avian&Submit=Submit

Dr. Greg Burkett
3039 University Drive
Durham , NC 27707
Phone: 919/490-3001

Dr. Ryan DeVoe
4401 Zoo Parkway
Asheboro , NC 27205
Phone: 336/879-7633

Dr. Keven Flammer
4700 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh , NC 27606
Phone: 919/513-6353

Dr. Chris Griffin
2100 Lane Street
Kannapolis , NC 28083
Phone: 704/932-8111

Dr. Lauren Powers
12117 Statesville Road
Huntersville , NC 28078
Phone: 704/949-1100

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm off to the gym to work out before bed. I've actually been able to finish my homework while on here, can you believe it? Anyways, it's put me off schedule and I need to go burn some calories. Your babe is in my prayers~

Keep us posted. We really care about you and your bird

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am confused, on August 12 you had Emmy and said you were instructed to hand feed 3 x's a day as she was about five weeks old. Was she not with you then? Had she gone back to the breeders? It now sounds like you only picked her up on Friday, not Aug. 12. I am just trying to imagine what Emmy has been dealing with, trying to piece things together and get a "mental visual" of the entire scenario.

Emmy should be around eight weeks old. A parrotlet should be weaned at that age, but I know some that were fed till 10 weeks of age. It depends on the individual and the parents.

Can you remind me who the breeder is?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am also concerned of possible aspiration if you have been blowing and force feeding. It is all too easy to aspirate a bird, esp. when you don't get a feeding response. This could lead to a sudden death (food in the lungs) or even aspiration pneumonia, which left untreated will be fatal.

I hope you are not online b/c you are heading to a vet...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have an ER right here in Huntersville Andrea. I called them last night and told them what was going on and they told me what to do for now and then to call them back in an hour or sooner to let them know if I'm bringing her in. I was already doing the things they told me to do so I felt good about that and didn't want to stress her anymore by running her there.
My regular vet is in Charlotte and would have gone in to the office if I would have called. He's not listed as an Avian doctor but knows about treating birds and other exotics. I had to take a grouchy Cockatoo there and he was like the bird whisperer. I was stunned at what he could do after a few minutes.
I've tube fed before Andrea. Not for the faint of heart is it!!! I had to do it with a sick sugar glider. I hope I never have to do it again.
Everything is great today. I stayed up until 3:00AM doing feedings about every hour. Not force feedings thank goodness. She slept under my night shirt, over my heart the whole time. I had to use the bathroom once and she had a fit when I put her back in her cage for a couple minutes. LOL
I was up at 5:AM this morning and have given her two feedings so far. She's back in her cage right now, in her pouch with the heating pad still under it. SHE'S EATING MILLET AS I SIT HERE, NEXT TO HER, TYPING!!!
I'll keep you up to date and I'm calling my regular vet at 9:00.

I can't thank you all enough!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts