Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m have been working with Pixie for what seems like forever. I have tried everything you guys have recommended (thank you), plus more, I have read as many books as I could get my hands on, and watched as many videos. She has remained a nasty little bird and I am very sad I will never be able to bond with her. She screams at me when I get to close to her cage, bites when I clean her cage and change her toys, then other days I can clean her cage etc… and no problem. I guess she will just be living In her cage.
I was wondering if I got another bird in a separate cage of course and bond with it, if she might learn by seeing, any thoughts. She is the first bird I have failed.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
I am sorry you and Pixie are not getting on well. Every parrotlet is its own unique being. Mostly they want to be close to you, many very close. Every once in a while you have birds that are more standoffish, bashiful, fearful so as to not want to. Another bird may or may not help. I know that the ones I have had the learn from watching. Jules parting gift to us was staying alive enough to teach Rio to trust us. But we have not been in your situation. The rule of thumb is do not get a bird for your bird. So if you do want another then make sure you are doing it for you and not just Pixie.

It has been a while. Can you remind me on where / how you got Pixie?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got Pixie from a local shop that breeds birds when she was a baby - she was very curious and liked being out of her cage and checking everything out - this was 3 years ago - then I became quite ill with meningitis, followed by elbow replacement, hip replacement, knee replacement, other knee replacement, fusion in lower back, infected implant in one knee so another knee replacement, 6 weeks on IV antiobotics and then the final knee surgery - all of this was spaced about 6 –7 months apart.
needless to say there was not much out of the cage time because if she took flight I couldn’t get her. When I became able to let her out to bond she had turned into the little monster she is today

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were to get another bird it would be for me - I have missed a bird companion since my Meyer passed away - we did everything together.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your illness and you having to have so many surgeries. Bless your heart. It certainly is understandable why you would have had less time for Pixie. Recovering from so many surgeries would make it extremely difficult to do a lot of things. Unfortunately, because parrotlets are not domesticated animals, a lack of socialization will lead them to become wild again – making them afraid and mistrusting of humans and any new experiences. I know it must be hard that she is so difficult, but it really is not her fault. It is natural for her to return to being a wild bird again, because that, after all, is what she really is. They seem to still have one foot in the jungle. They only have been around humans for what? 50 years or so? Not like some parrots that have been domesticated for 2000 years. Do you have a regular daily routine for Pixie? Birds like to know what to expect, and a routine may help make her feel less anxious and aggressive. I know it is hard, but I hope you do not give up. I came across some videos on Youtube to help birds relax. They may help Pixie. I play them for Cleopatra, and she loves them. She will fly to her seagsrass swing and take a nap. :) If you read some of the Youtube comments, the music seems to have helped a lot of people with their birds. Unfortunately, the video’s do have commercials, but it you click on the refresh button it gets rid of them. Hope they help you and Pixie! Take care of yourself!

Anya

The last video is 3 1/2 hours long! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts - I am not giving up on her - I have just started a routine with her feeding same time I feed everyone else (cat, 3 dogs, reef tank, freshwater tank, betta tank) so it will be a start - I am also only letting her have millet if she comes out of her cage voluntarily to go to her play stand which I have attached with a rope perch- I haven’t figured out how to attach pictures yet - do you think this would be ok

·
Registered
888 Posts
Wow! That is some zoo you have there! 😃I used to have dogs, cats, fish and gerbils at one time so I know how that is! Using millet to get Pixie out of her cage is a great idea. You can also hang some toys, a perch and have some treats near the outside of her cage door to entice her out.

To get directions on how to upload pics, click on the three white dots in the right corner of the screen, then click on FAQ - a menu will pop up. Scroll down to "How to Upload Images to Post" and follow the directions. We would love to see some pics of Pixie! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about the dirty cage I cleaned it this morning but she likes to make a mess!!! I have taken her off an all seed diet, i know, i know, and she is on Bird Street Bistro w/additional fresh veggies and in the morning she gets a piece of birdie bread and then in the evening she gets RowdyBush pellets, all food is taken away after 2 hours and i give her 2 tablespoons seed for the hour before bed, then i remove them and she gets covered for the night usually at 8 p.m.
any other thoughts?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I love the pics! Pixie is adorable - she is such a pretty blue! Looks like you have it nice for her! :) The only thing I would recommend is that you leave food (maybe seeds and pellets) and water, of course, in her cage 24 hours a day because they have very fast metabolisms and need to eat regularly. Just keep some food in there for her and she will be fine! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Anya for your suggestions - I’ll give her seed and pellets tomorrow when she gets up she;s in bed right now!

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I am so sorry that you have had to go through all those procedures! I hope you are better. This interrupted the strength of the bond you established with Pixie early on. The zoo you have may be one of the problems that causes Pixie's temperament to be an unwilling partner in your household. Pixie is aware of her surroundings. When she was young, she depended on your friendship and when she matured, she saw interruptions in the way she was treated, because of your many health issues.

I have never been a supporter of the mixture of cats and birds. Over the many years on this forum and other forums, I have read about bird behavior and how it changes when a cat is in the same household. Just the sight of a cat can cause a bird to be on permanent defensive behaviors. There are some very rare cat-bird friendships that ' work ' to a certain degree, but when a cat wants to strike out at the bird, they absolutely will, with no hesitation, and the bird knows this.

The 21st word of your last response..." routine "... is the key word to saving the bond you want and need with Pixie. She is capable of changing, but it is up to you. You said, in so many words, that you had not given up hope on Pixie. I believe you! I also believe that Pixie will come around and meet you half way in the process of your rejuvenation. She is a smart and loving bird at heart and she will end up being your best friend. Zero in on your new ' routine ' and give it the best shot you can. It will work!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I had a boy Huey who was a nasty little boy. That being said we had our own routine and bond that was perfect for us.

In the beginning I was frustrated mostly because of post on here of everyones happy cuddly loving birds. Then I realized that there are those on here who dont have that storybook relationship and learn to figure out what works for them. My Huey was a biter, however he did love to come out of his cage and when he was on the floor I could pick him up only with my right hand palm up would he climb aboard. He also loved to run ( he could not fly because he was a plucker) and he loved when I would follow him around for our step up. I swear I could see him laughing ans he waited for me only to run away. This was a game we played often.

He also was a yeller and a talker and he went crazy only if my hubby crinkled a bag like a potato chip bag. He would run over to him chattering away like mad. I could crinkle till the cows came home and nothing.

I was able to leave his cage open when I was in the room and he would come out to his play gym (similar to yours) and eat his snacks on his gym. There was only seeds and pellets in his cage so he learned the good stuff was outside.

My suggestion is to figure out what will work for you and take baby steps. You just might not have a cuddle bird but you could end up with a great relationship.

My new guy was begging to be a cuddle boy, then he learned to fly. I decided to let him perfect his flying skills and now he is not cuddly and the step up seems to have taken a back step. I know I have time with him and he is coming out of his shell as his confidence grows. He was not adventurous at all but recently he started eating treats from the play gym and it is the first thing he does in the morning- he chows down on the treats I put there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts