Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took Willie to the vet a couple months ago I told her that he’s very hormonal. She said that lights in the home and noise can keep them awake but she said the best place for them if there isn’t another room to put him in his carrier for the night in the closet with the door closed. I’m just worried that there’s all kinds of different junk in there, what if he breaths something in that may harm him. I know I over worry because he’s in the closet now for the night!

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Really? Put him in the closet? In a carrier? This might be kind of stressful for him, especially if he's not used to sleeping in his carrier. Where does he usually sleep? I would not change anything right away this drastically, cover him try to keep it kind of quiet yes but that's kind of dramatic. What is your current cage and sleeping situation? I think we can come up with a better solution than a carrier in a closet.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When I took Willie to the vet a couple months ago I told her that he’s very hormonal. She said that lights in the home and noise can keep them awake but she said the best place for them if there isn’t another room to put him in his carrier for the night in the closet with the door closed. I’m just worried that there’s all kinds of different junk in there, what if he breaths something in that may harm him. I know I over worry because he’s in the closet now for the night!
My Huey was hormonal, it came and went. I just let him be. Can you cover the cage where it is? I know that is not the best option but it will provide the darkness.

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
I used to put my cockatiel in my walk-through closet in her sleeping cage. The carrier wouldn't be my favorite solution, though. Would it be possible for you to get a small cage to act as a sleeping cage? With a sleeping cage, you can put it in the quietest corner of the house that you feel comfortable with and cover it. A closet is not a horrible solution for where to put the sleeping cage, as it is quiet and dark. Unless you are keeping paint or chemicals in the closet, I wouldn't worry about fumes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have heard of people putting their birds in their closet when they do not have a spare room. The vet is right - darkness and quietness are important for a hormonal bird. An extra hour or two of sleep every night also will help curb hormonal behavior while it is happening. A small sleeping cage might be the answer if Willie’s cage is too big for a closet. If you place a dark cover over the cage before you place Willie in the closet, then he should not be afraid (he will not know where he is at). Just make sure you put him in a safe spot and that the closet has some ventilation.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Parrotlets do seem to be hormonal, at times, and some are hormonal more than others all the time. You may have one who is temperamental or even territorial. Putting him away in a closet seems a little bit drastic. Cover him for 11-12 hours every night with a dark cover. The 11-12 hours will help regulate his hormones. Some people put their p'letts in a sleeping cage ( a slightly smaller cage) in their bedrooms at night. This should be good enough.

Remember, parrotlets are a little aggressive by nature. They have earned the distinction of being a small bird with a huge attitude. Over the years, I have had birds who were biters and meanies for their first year, then they settled down a bit. This will probably happen with your Willie.

David

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? Put him in the closet? In a carrier? This might be kind of stressful for him, especially if he's not used to sleeping in his carrier. Where does he usually sleep? I would not change anything right away this drastically, cover him try to keep it kind of quiet yes but that's kind of dramatic. What is your current cage and sleeping situation? I think we can come up with a better solution than a carrier in a closet.
Willie’s current sleeping situation is in his cage that’s covered completely with navy blue towels with an inch of space just at the bottom of the cage bars.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
How did he seem to do? Where is the regular cage? I always had sleep cages fur all the parrotlet in the bedroom, is that an option like the others suggested instead of the carrier?
Honest Kathy you are his mama if you don't feel right about it don't let us or he vet tell you what to do I think you know what's best! As long as he gets his 12 hours of dark and quiet sleep 💤 there's no one right way

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't pretend to know more than your vet, but our girl also suffers from hormones from time to time. To get total darkness in her cage we just started throwing an extra blanket or two over her to make sure no light penetrated. Also, we saw a lot of change from changing her diet - we removed fruits from her chop and gave her more access to veggies. These little birds lack the normal seasonal cues that can trigger hormones, so sweets, too much daylight, or too much scritching can cause them to become hormonal. All that combined with much more trick/exercise oriented play and extra sleep (12-14 hours) usually gets her to calm down after a week or so.

Good luck to Willie! He'll get through it!

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
All my guys get their own room and cage. In the case of Rio, he wants his covered. When traveling I have frequently put them in a bathroom or closet and covered. I see no issue with using a closet as a sleeping space provided there is adequate space and ventilation, in order to give them quiet and darkness. It would be like letting them have their own parrotlet sized room.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think this can vary enough based on the bird and the home that the only one who can really judge is you. I do put Micah's cage in my bedroom closet when I'm concerned he's not getting enough sleep, but that closet is a large walk in that doesn't actually have a door, so ventilation isn't an issue. On the other hand, I would not put him in the hall closet, which is both smaller and fuller. And I wouldn't contradict your vet, but I would point out that your vet probably doesn't know any more about your actual home than we do. So I'd say look at what she said he needs--dark and quiet--and look at your home, and figure out what the best way to give him that is in your situation. It might be the closet! It might not. Don't automatically rule it out just because it feels weird to put him there, but do take a careful look at whether it's the best spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Willie’s current sleeping situation is in his cage that’s covered completely with navy blue towels with an inch of space just at the bottom of the cage bars.
Sounds like you’re trying really hard. My Georgie was afraid of the dark. After two weeks of same routine, he’s settling in. I was putting him to bed too early. (8) when I started cuddling with him to watch tv for an hour and go to bed at 10, he calmed down. To give him confidence, I gave him a special treat that he only gets at bedtime (part of a dried blueberry). If he (target trained) goes to his sleeping perch. He has come to expect it. For first week, I partially covered cage ans slept in same room. Then I phased to fully covered as long as I knew he was on his perch and safe, so not scrambling about in total darkness. He also liked a lullaby or story. A few nights ago, he graduated to fully covered cage. Seems calm…BUT daytime biting increased substantially!!! So…..I will need to experiment. Might just let him sleep in my bedroom uncovered.
He was shipped to me BEFORE I realized how intelligent they are. So I think there is trauma. Sometimes you just have to experiment and let them tell/show you. Just like kids. 🤣 Good luck!!!! Oh, millet spray calms him, but I think overly dependent on it, so I am phasing it out since we’re bonded. But maybe that would help for a short while? (I know shouldn’t have all the time…he’s getting well-rounded diet). It’s a “sometimes” treat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In this thread there’s a picture of a wooden box with a hole in it.

The bottom of the box is open, and there’s a perch inside the box for him to stand on.

He goes in there to sleep when he’s ready, and then I cover the whole cage with a blanket.

If you were able to set up a box like that inside a smaller cage, and then move the cage to a closet at bedtime, wait for the bird to go inside the box, and then close the closet so it is dark, that would probably work out well. I think they naturally seek out a little hole or something to sleep in when they are tired.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts