Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum! Your birds are adorable - that’s a great photo. It is very sweet when they get along like that but Anya is right. They can be very territorial and very dangerous to each other. You should separate them if you see any aggression. The cage you posted looks like it has separators which would be perfect. It allows them to see each other and be close but gives them their own space.

I have never bred my girl but I certainly agree with Anya’s advice. I am sure others with experience with babies will be able to help you.

looking forward to hearing all about your journey with your new little birds!

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Wow! That’s awesome! Nice work. What lucky little birds they are to have someone who takes such good care of them.

Yes I think they will be just fine side by side in their cages. Just monitor them to see how they’re doing and please keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I think you will find that they will be just as happy and you will have peace of mind. It will help you to get them back on track so they can have a harmonious and balanced life. I understand completely why it makes you a bit sad. Let’s just see how things go for awhile. Just remember you are doing this for their well-being, you could not have continued that situation without Blue being harmed or possibly killed. Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing but it is such an important lesson to learn in life. And your small birds are teaching you that. What an incredible gift.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Oh goodness - I just realized I mixed your post about Milly and Peanut up with another forum member. That’s why I called him Blue. I’m so sorry about that!

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Thanks. That was a little embarrassing. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Your cages are great but a little empty. Are you planning to get some new toys and dishes for them as well? That was always the fun part for me although Kiwi didn’t really take to toys very well. They would benefit from some rope perches - they are softer on the feet that wooden ones and can help prevent foot problems. You should try to have some different diameters of perches so they don’t have to have their feet in the same position all the time. One of Kiwi’s perches is a big piece of wood I got from the pet store and it allows her to sit on a flat surface. She also has rope perches and a small concrete one for nail care. Just make sure that the perch that is highest in the cage is soft and not too thick - that is where Parrotlets tend to spend most of their time.

Impulse buying - we all do it and it rarely turns out the way we expect. They are very lucky to have you. Too many pets are sadly neglected when it gets more complicated than people expect. It is heartwarming to see how much you are trying to give them their best life. Do keep us posted on how they are doing. Them being apart in their cages doesn’t mean that can’t have supervised time together. Just go slow and give it some time. You will find the right balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts