Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2 little parrotlets now for 7weeks Milly and peanut i just wanted one bird but the pet shop told me they need to be sold as a pair because they have bounded they get on so well cuddling up together. Will theses birds breed and if so what should I put in place for this the cage I have is ok but I am buying a bigger cage. They are 20weeks old now

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum! You little birdies look so cute! That is a very sweet picture!
I am assuming you have a male and a female. If you keep Milly and Peanut together in the same cage, yes, it could possibly lead to breeding and egg laying. Keep in mind that at 5 months old parrotlets can start breeding and laying eggs, but you never want birds under one year old breeding. Do you have any information about your birds besides that they are 20 weeks old? Are they siblings? If they are, please do not breed them. Inbreeding leads to sick, weak, short-lived birds. I would suggest that you put Milly and Peanut in separate cages. You can place the cages next to each other for company. They will be perfectly fine being in their own cages and may even come to like it – parrotlets do enjoy having their own things. You can continue to let them out to socialize with each other but be sure to always keep an eye on them. Even though your pair are bonded now, does not mean they will be later. Parrotlets are aggressive and territorial by nature and are not known for being the best cage mates. The pet shop owner should have made you aware of this. You especially must watch them during hormonal periods. Parrotlets have even been known to injure or kill their mates. Having them in separated cages will also help them each bond with you instead of just with each other. There is a lot of information on the forum that will help you, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There may be more work having two parrotlets, but others have made it work just fine! Keep us updated on how things are going and getting more pictures of your babies would be great! :)
Bird Beak Wood Feather Bird supply

Mesh Pet supply Mammal Animal shelter Composite material

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Your birds are adorable - that’s a great photo. It is very sweet when they get along like that but Anya is right. They can be very territorial and very dangerous to each other. You should separate them if you see any aggression. The cage you posted looks like it has separators which would be perfect. It allows them to see each other and be close but gives them their own space.

I have never bred my girl but I certainly agree with Anya’s advice. I am sure others with experience with babies will be able to help you.

looking forward to hearing all about your journey with your new little birds!
Thank you so much they are lovely 8 have ordered
Hi there and welcome to the forum! Your birds are adorable - that’s a great photo. It is very sweet when they get along like that but Anya is right. They can be very territorial and very dangerous to each other. You should separate them if you see any aggression. The cage you posted looks like it has separators which would be perfect. It allows them to see each other and be close but gives them their own space.

I have never bred my girl but I certainly agree with Anya’s advice. I am sure others with experience with babies will be able to help you.

looking forward to hearing all about your journey with your new little birds!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes seem to be having problems 🙃 so do you think my little birds will be ok on there own bigger cage but one will have one side the other will have the other they love cuddling up together at night. There new cage should arrive on Saturday 😊

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes will do the new cage came yesterday Friday it only took a hour to put up but its a lovely big cage Iv let them be together lastnight at will do today but this will be there last day together but they will see each other but will not to cuddle up together at night 😪
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
🤣😂🤣 It happens hope your all well Milly & peanut are so cute doing a lot of research on these little parrotlets should of research before I brought them but I was just having a walk and I just went into a pet shop and seen these two and fell in love with them I have know regret but I will monitor them both I dont work to far from where I live. I also have got a cctv camera which I will setup when I am out and at work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts