Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news: Hpnotiq was caught eating some millet and some seed. She was playing with her toys and enjoyed eating in my hand. She even took to preening my hair and chirping lovingly at me.

bad news: she is tail bobing. As we all know this means it respiratory. My vet is working tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be going in w/ her. I've been talking with Andrea and I'll be doing the following for sure...Trip to the vet. Antibiotics and nebulization. eucalyptus and vaporizer.

She will get lots of fresh vegetables and be kept warm.

Just to let you know what is going on with her over all....

Eating, drinking, playing, perching high, chirping, eyes wide open, not fluffed up, sneezed 2x today (but my others do that too on occassion), no coughing, normal fecal color and consistancy, no discharge from eye or nares, vent looks clean, firm grip w/ feet, no loss of balance, not lethargic.... just that tail bob. If it wasn't for that, she would be PERFECT.

So, keep her in you thoughts. I'm sure she will be fine. I've sent a video and e-mail to my vet and an e-mail to the breeder (more along the lines of watch your other birds to be safe, not a threatening letter at all).

Ciao~

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do you know how many people would not have even noticed it. Could it be increased respiration cause she is a little fearful? Doyou feel her tremble when you put your hand over her?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I watched her for hours last night. It happens even when she is sleeping. I would sneak into the room with a flash light, so it wouldnt disturb her.... it was still there. Even this morning it is still there.... She doesn't tremble either. She seems PERFECT except for that DARN bob. It's so frustrating.

I have a habit of being... panicy. So I sent that video to my vet, who more than often just tells me to relax. She's not worried (she is concerned, but not to the point of GET HER TO THE ER VET IN EDMOND), but does want to check her over. I had rescued a young albino budgie once, who later passed away who had a tail bob worse than Hpnotiq. So I hope we are getting it taken care of soon enough.

I think she is pretty comfortable considering the circumstance. She wants to sit in my hands and cuddle. She hates going back into the cage. She is just so friendly I want to squeeze her~

·
Registered
89 Posts
I second Memmey!!
Thanks for the video, that was some great filming.

What a good daddy you are, Catfish!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sans tail bob, perfectly healthy little girl. No mucus in the back of the throat, eyes are clear as well as the nose, heart and lungs were clear as a bell, everything looks great on her.

Her tail bob is still there though, but my vet does not feel it is necessary to do oral antibiotics at this point in time. We are doing nebulization treatments to help her. If she doesn't improve by tomorrow, I'm to bring her back and do another treatment... and continue to do so until she gets better. If she worsens, we will do oral meds.

SO, that's good new imo. I feel much much much better!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very pleased that she is not that sick. Dr. Reeves couldn't hear anything wrong with her breathing. She was suprised on how healthy she looked and sounded, even with the tail bob. She didn't show ANY of the charachteristics they normally show. Nothing at all.

SO.....THIS is the reason why I quarantine all new birds for 30-45 days before introducing to the flock. Not everyone would have noticed the tail bob, and if I hadn't and didn't quarantine, I could have gotten my male sick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you quarantine? Just in a separate room?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I should rephrase it to pseudo-quarantine.

A quarantine would be in a separate room w/ it's own air ventilation... I do not have that in my house, but I keep new birds as far away as possible in a separate room. I also change clothes after handling them when I need to take care of my next bird. I also wash my hands after handling them

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm glad to hear the vet said Hpnotiq is healthy other than the tail bobbing. She's such a sweety. Hope she'll get well soon! :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Pam is pressuring me to put Hpnotiq in the same room as the rest of my flock because she was raised w/ other birds (she doesn't think it's an infection since it's just the bob :/). I just CAN'T do it. I am trying to be nice and say I can't risk the rest of my flock at this moment in time in a nice way, but I may have to get firm with her. She is not going to be paying the bill if 2 quakers and another p'let get sick, I am. I have to do what I and my vet think is best for ALL my birds.

She also offered a refund if I wanted to return Hpnotiq. I can't do that either. I haven't even asked for one or hinted at one. I'm already attached. My vet and I are not that concerned about what is going on and we believe she should be fine in the next few things....

I'm not frustated with my little bird and I'm not that frustrated with Pam. I am frustrated that she wants me to end the quarantine period way early.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You should go with your instincts and keep your little one separate from the flock until you are totally comfortable that she is healthy and settled in enough to enjoy the other birds. If she is still a bit jittery due to being so young, it would help to spend 1:1 time with her and when the time comes, I'm sure you'll know. Good luck

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Maybe with more time her bobbing will stop. I agree, it is hard to keep her separate I am sure. I would think about the other birds for sure. I do hope she stops the bobbing soon.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I agree - you will know - Do what you feel is right. Hpnotiq is yours now and I'm sure Pam will understand whatever you decide.

I must admit I did not quarantine Mrs. Penny Peepers when I brought her home - I asked her breeder about it and she said most recommend it but she wanted to add she had a closed Aviary - no sickness in the Aviary and she left it at that.

My plan was to quarantine and I had an area set up but when I got her home I introduced them. Not the recommended decision. I was lucky that all was fine.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There has been no illness in Pam's aviary as well. But the tail bobbing..... It worries me. What if she IS sick and what happens if she gets my 3 other sick. Nebulization for me is $20 a time (normally $40 but I have gotten 2 treatments for free b/c no one cares... I just don't know how long it will go for). To buy a bottle of t would be about $40 and I would have to buy a nebulization unit, and lord knows I don't know how expensive that is. I could easily spend $200 on something that I could have prevented by quarantining.

I would be devestated if that happened.... then I would either eat myself silly and get back up to 300lbs or quit eating and finally reach my goal weight. ..
:/

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once again, a clean bill of health besides the tail bob. This is dumb founding me to no ends. I'm going to continue to nebulize and do the steam room. I have not had time to pick up eucalyptus, but I should be able to get that tomorrow.

Today I caught her being very silly. she was hanging upside down from her dangle toy and flapping her wings madly. THis was causing her to spin in a circle. She is such a clown, and I believe that if she had a severe case she would not be doing this.

We are both stumped as to how she can show no further symptoms of respiratory distress and still have a tail bob. Once again, breathing is normal with no raspiness or crackles, heart sounds normal, no mucus built up in the back of the mouth, vent is clean, eyes and nare look wonderful, body weight is about 28 grams. She is eating well and drinking. Roosting high and playing with all her toys. Plus she is vocalizing.

This is a very odd little bird. Perhaps she may grow out of this, but we do not want to risk this. We will continue to nebulize, steam, and use the eucalyptus.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wonder if it could be something she just does? - since she is getting a clean bill of health from the Vet I suppose its possible !?! :confused:

I searched Google to see if anything was mentioned about other birds doing this without being ill - most mentioned illness but this one:

Tail bobbing, in and of itself, is not necessarily a sign of sickness. Some birds bob their tails while they are taking or singing. If the tail bobbing is evident only while your bird is inhaling/exhaling, then it could be a sign of sickness. http://confluence.mickaboo.org/display/MBPublic/Understanding+your+birdhttp://confluence.mickaboo.org/display/MBPublic/Understanding+your+bird

I can't recall if you mentioned: Is she only doing this while inhaling/exhaling? Did Pam notice her doing it at her place? or are either of Hpnotiq's siblings doing it

Personally (this is just me, I'm not recommending or saying to anyone to do this - I don't want to put any other bird at risk) But knowing ME, if I got a clean bill of health from my vet and I was in your exact situation - I would probably move my two Parrotlets into the same room and keep the Quakers separated in their normal room.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's mostly when she is breathing.... I'm thinking about just moving her in w/ Gelato. I am beginning to think she is not sick.... I'm just cautious.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts