Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that adopted a 2nd p'let ... at what age did you allow the 2 to house in the same cage. I'm going to wait a while before i place her in the same cage because she is still so much a baby and doesn't have the greatest balance in the world... so I want her to be more confident.

I hope to have them housed together by December, do you all think that long of a wait is necessary? There will be play dates on the play gym prior to the move in, and after quarantine she will be placed near Gelato so he can watch her....

G-d I wish I didn't have to quarantine.... I doubt that Pam has any diseased birds after the barrage of questions she quized me on... but I JUST can't risk Gelato, Crabby, or General. I just cant.

I remember quarantine w/ Crabby, adn that was HARD to do b/c of time. gah.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I started talking about this in the picture thread....

I personally don't think that long of a wait is necessary.
I'm no expert and I am just introducing my pair.

Maya is thirteen weeks old and seems like a mature parrotlet.

By the time Hypnotiq is out of quarantine (I am guessing she is around 7 weeks old)

and then you let them play together, then have cages next to each other, you will be able to put them together much sooner than December.

How old is she, and how long are you planning on doing quarantine.
Let me/us know so we can predict a more specific date.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when given enough space, toys, perches, eating areas - parrotlets, in my experience, are very easy to pair.

Remind me - what size cage will they share?
I have a 32 x 32 x 21 which in retrospect might be a little tight, but I still have my extra flight cage that is 32 long x 21 deep x 18 tall if things aer not smooth. At this time, I cannot get a larger cage. I would have to tap into their vet funds (which I don't want to do). I won't be able to get a larger cage until December.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Keep us posted!
This is great information.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
:D :D :D
Catfish CONGRATULATIONS I'm so happy you have Hpnotiq home with you. Glad to read the tail bobbing wasn't something your Vet is too concerned with.

Thats great you thought of keeping her quarantined - also it will give you time to bond with her and for her to get to know you. I can get from your posts that you are absolutely smitten with her - Thats so cool ! - Congratulations again. Looking forward to hearing more about her.

In regards to keeping them separated or together - I was on the cautious side but each situation is different and you'll know when its the right time for your guys.

I kept mine in different cages right next to each other for about four months. They had about 2hrs out together on a play stand each day. My female was pretty clumsy when I first got her (the breeder had clipped her wings. My male would knock her from the perch quite often just by fussing around her and I was fearful of keeping her in his larger cage. I kept her in an 18x18x18. I had first wanted her wings to grow in before I put them together full time. Although he loves her they did bicker from time to time and when she was non-flighted she had to just sit there or be knocked from the playstand perch - now she (or he when its her turn to be the one bickering :p ) just flutter off. They never go after each other to bicker its usually just a few seconds of beak lunges and then the loser flutters away and all is forgiven in another few seconds.

BTW the female's seem to run the roost - she is just 9 months old and already bosses him around more then he her.

You have a lot to look forward to with their relationship - it really is a joy to watch them form their bond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts