Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this video on how to sprout a whole sprig of millet. I have never heard of this before, and thought I would share it with you guys. It is very simple to do. You just need to make sure it does not dry out. I would definitely use grape seed extract or apple cider vinegar to help prevent mold. That's is me being cautious again. ;)

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Interesting. Is anyone going to try to do it? I want to know if it works without having to do it - LOL!
Being a guy these are not the type of things we normally do. What I did do was pass it on to the wife to see if she wanted to try it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try it! I just need to order some grape seed extract. I would rather use that instead of using vinegar. One thing in the video I do not agree with is that they recommend using white vinegar. I do not think white vinegar works the same way that apple cider vinegar does. Get organic, if you can.(y)

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I am going to try it! I just need to order some grape seed extract. I would rather use that instead of using vinegar. One thing in the video I do not agree with is that they recommend using white vinegar. I do not think white vinegar works the same way that apple cider vinegar does. Get organic, if you can.(y)
Yay! Brave you! Looking forward to seeing how it goes! Thanks Anya!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I came across this video on how to sprout a whole sprig of millet. I have never heard of this before, and thought I would share it with you guys. It is very simple to do. You just need to make sure it does not dry out. I would definitely use grape seed extract or apple cider vinegar to help prevent mold. That's is me being cautious again. ;)

Hi Anya, thank you for the video. I would like to try this but I didn't see instructions on how to start the sprig of millet. Does it go in a bowl, do I put a piece in my Sprouter for seeds and seed mixes like broccoli and friends seed mix. It works great . However I dont know if the millet is to be constantly soaked like in a bowl etc... I didn't see it in this video. Maybe I missed it?
Thanks, Lisa

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi Lisa! It is great that you want to try this! :) This is how the video comes across to me. If anyone sees it differently, please say something. I am not an expert on sprouting – I have only done it a couple of times and that was years ago. In the video, she starts first by rinsing the millet really well and putting the clean millet in a spaghetti jar filled with water. She covered it and let it soak for 12 hours. (I guess millet can float and she put a small glass in the container to hold it down.) I do not have a jar like that, so I will be cutting the millet strand into smaller pieces. After 12 hours, she said to remove the millet, and rinse the millet again thoroughly. Let the excess water drip out and shake it gently. She suggests placing it on a rack or in a strainer to remove the excess water. You do not want the sprig getting soaking wet, just damp, to prevent it from growing mold. I am also going to rinse mine in grape seed extract. (heck, yeah!) ;)

So, to answer your question, you only soak the millet sprig that one time for 12 hours. After that, it is just rinsing it off to avoid it from becoming dry. You rinse it off 2-3 times a day. It looks like she just keeps it in a strainer the whole time between rinses. But, I found another video on sprouting a millet strand. This person, after soaking the millet and then drying it off some, wraps the strand in a damp paper towel and puts it in a bottle. So, I do not see why you wouldn’t be able to use your Sprouter. Here is that video if you want to check it out! I hope this helps some. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

I found simplified written instructions too!

Step-by-step on HOW TO SPROUT MILLET

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Lisa! It is great that you want to try this! :) This is how the video comes across to me. If anyone sees it differently, please say something. I am not an expert on sprouting – I have only done it a couple of times and that was years ago. In the video, she starts first by rinsing the millet really well and putting the clean millet in a spaghetti jar filled with water. She covered it and let it soak for 12 hours. (I guess millet can float and she put a small glass in the container to hold it down.) I do not have a jar like that, so I will be cutting the millet strand into smaller pieces. After 12 hours, she said to remove the millet, and rinse the millet again thoroughly. Let the excess water drip out and shake it gently. She suggests placing it on a rack or in a strainer to remove the excess water. You do not want the sprig getting soaking wet, just damp, to prevent it from growing mold. I am also going to rinse mine in grape seed extract. (heck, yeah!) ;)

So, to answer your question, you only soak the millet sprig that one time for 12 hours. After that, it is just rinsing it off to avoid it from becoming dry. You rinse it off 2-3 times a day. It looks like she just keeps it in a strainer the whole time between rinses. But, I found another video on sprouting a millet strand. This person, after soaking the millet and then drying it off some, wraps the strand in a damp paper towel and puts it in a bottle. So, I do not see why you wouldn’t be able to use your Sprouter. Here is that video if you want to check it out! I hope this helps some. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

I found simplified written instructions too!

Step-by-step on HOW TO SPROUT MILLET
This is awesome Anya, thank you!
I pretty much do this with the seeds I sprout in my sprout-er so I think I can put a piece of rinsed millet in my sprout-er and do the same procedure. I love that the gal on the video says it is nutritious and good for sick or weaning birds and even feather pluckers. Going to try it out right now. I love this sprout-er, only $16.99 on amazon when I purchased it and it comes with a packet of seed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, Lisa! I am glad I was able to help! Sprouting is just a great thing all around. Sprouts are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They can also help to get picky seed eating birds eating veggies. I have sworn to myself that I am going to do more sprouting for Pugsley. I need to get a good sprouter like you have. Which one do you have?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, Lisa! I am glad I was able to help! Sprouting is just a great thing all around. Sprouts are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They can also help to get picky seed eating birds eating veggies. I have sworn to myself that I am going to do more sprouting for Pugsley. I need to get a good sprouter like you have. Which one do you have?
Hi Anya and Parrotlet owned😉
I sprouted some millet in the sprouter , when it was ready Chumley couldn’t wait for me to put it in his chop bowl! He loves it. It was super easy to sprout. I soaked the sprig of millet overnight in a bowl of water, rinsed throughly and set it in the second tray of the sprouter. The top tray had the pre soaked “Broccoli and friends” seed blend I placed that same am. Here is the progression and also some pics of the sprouter kit.
Thank you Anya for posting this video. Rectangle Liquid Grass Ingredient Terrestrial plant
Rectangle Liquid Grass Ingredient Terrestrial plant
Ingredient Food Cuisine Plant Insect
Terrestrial plant Grass Staple food Flowering plant Ingredient

Tableware Ingredient Terrestrial plant Dish Cuisine
Bird Beak Plant Serveware Feather
Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Font Terrestrial plant Groundcover Parallel
Terrestrial plant Organism Plant Font Groundcover
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

Day 1 after the soak
day2

Day3
day4
Breakfast served!
Sprouter bought from Amazon...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lisa, oh my gosh, well done! Please go to the head of the class! lol Great job illustrating the process in your nifty sprouter! I Thank you for that! I love that is has two sections so you can sprout two different things. Very keel! :cool: I am going to order one today! (y) Love the pic of HRM Chumley enjoying his sprouts! What a cutie! Hopefully Pugsley will feel the same way! We are really doing our birds a good thing providing them with nutritious sprouts. I found an interesting site called Sprout People. It has a lot of helpful information and videos. They are very knowledgeable on what they do. You can go crazy doing this! The site has a huge selection of seeds. Some of them I am not sure if they are safe for birds or not, so you would have to check first to make sure.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
That is so cool, Ive never sprouted Millett but I have grown it..... by accident. I used to toss my seeds over the edge of my deck. I was thinking maybe local birds would like what ever was left. I grew a lot of millett. Never did anything with it as I didnt know what to do.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tumi likes both varieties of these sprouting mixes from China Prairie. One has bigger seeds, including corn, and the other has smaller seeds, but he enjoys them both. He gets mad when I forget to have them ready for him. Avian FRESH Diet™ Parrot Food: China Prairie Products
Thanks for posting the link for China Prairie Products. I am going to try them - probably the micrograin sprouts first! But shame, shame, shame on you for forgetting Tumi's sprouts! What kind of slave are you? :LOL: Boy, they are such bossy little things at times! lol He must really love them! :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what do you do once they sprout? Some say to leave them out longer to dry out before putting them in the fridge. Others say to put them in the fridge with no mention of drying them out. What do you guys do?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts